Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2657
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #26561
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 794 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 886

Hey Viking... What exactly do I have to do to make my Rampage electric? The way I see it I probably have about another 100,000 miles before I have to replace the engine and might as well go electric.

You said the electric motor doesnt need gears? What do I do with my old transmission, do I replace it with something else??

Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #26562
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Hey Viking... What exactly do I have to do to make my Rampage electric? The way I see it I probably have about another 100,000 miles before I have to replace the engine and might as well go electric.

You said the electric motor doesnt need gears? What do I do with my old transmission, do I replace it with something else??
Converting to electric can be a pain. I have been wanting to do it to a 1964 Ranchero for some time and just don't have the money. So the first thing you need is a budget, even going the cheap route you are looking at probably $10,000. The Rampage is a perfect platform project car though, so you have that piece.

Is it an automatic or manual transmission? A manual will work and will decrease the cost for a motor. I don 't think that an automatic will work. In order to get reverse out of the electric motor you need to use an AC motor. Whereas if you have the reverse in the transmission you can go with an AC motor. It also gives you more flexibility when programming your controller. Speaking of controllers, that is going to eat up a lot of your budget. I like the Zilla controller, but that is because I know the guy who developed it. You can check them out here- http://manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=33&vmcchk=1

Then you need to develop your battery pack. Another huge expense. Lead acid is the cheapest though it will cost you in range and the batteries don't last as long. Upside is that you can get away with a typical automotive battery charger in a pinch (though a dedicated programmable charger will make the batteries last longer).

Join up with one of the electric car forums and lurk around there. I have been trying to find bits and pieces for my conversion for some time, but I probably won't be able to use any of it. The way it looks my best route will be to find a wrecked EV and cannibalize the parts for my conversion.

I did find a Ford Ranger EV for $2,000 that is in great condition (it is also local) but the batteries cost upwards of $10K! So that's where I am right now.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Trez Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #26563
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I'm thinkin of getting into amateur (ham) radio as a hobby and an emergency communication option. Anybody on here familiar with it an would give advice on how hard it is to get licensed and how much it might cost for a basic set up.

I live in Florida and would like to be able to talk to my father in texas should a hurricane come through and take out comms. Of course he would have to get set up too.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #26564
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7643 Times on 4158 Posts
Likes Given: 15990

My father is a hammer. He goes to conventions and field day. There is surely a club in your area.
http://www.radioexam.org/

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #26565
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9532

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I'm thinkin of getting into amateur (ham) radio as a hobby and an emergency communication option. Anybody on here familiar with it an would give advice on how hard it is to get licensed and how much it might cost for a basic set up.

I live in Florida and would like to be able to talk to my father in texas should a hurricane come through and take out comms. Of course he would have to get set up too.
Vikingdad us a hammer.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #26566

Correct term is Ham. (Interestingly the origin of the word is unclear. We are licensed amateur radio operators, also known as hams. Both the capitalized and lower case are considered acceptable.)

Yes, I am a Ham, have been licensed since 2002, so I am a relative newbie. My two sons are also licensed Hams. My oldest son and I hold a General class licenses and my younger son holds a Technician class. There is another level higher there is another higher class, Extra, that is more difficult to obtain. Each class level has certain privileges (shown in the different bandwidths you can operate on) with Extra having the most. You can have worldwide comms with a Tech. license, but it is a bit more difficult and/or you need to use something like Echolink which combines radio with the Internet.

Getting started? Take a look here http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

You can also take practice exams all day long for free, you do not need to hold any license or qualifications to take them here http://qrz.com/hamtest/

It is highly recommended that you study for the General and Extra classes when you have mastered the Tech practise exams. When you go in to take the exam you pay the fee (I think its $20) and if you pass Tech you can take the General at no additional cost, and same for Extra if you pass General.

You can find training classes (they are free but typically will charge for the materials) in your area by looking here http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

If you want the down and dirty get-licensed-now Ham-Cram class they are pretty easy to find. That is the easiest way to get your ticket, but once you have it you have a huge learning curve where it is most helpful to have a mentor to lead you along. You can find them (we call them Elmers) in your area by contacting a local radio club- which you can find here http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #26567
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Correct term is Ham.
I like 'hammer' better. "One who hams".

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #26568

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I like 'hammer'. One who hams.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #26569

Liked 2548 Times on 1653 Posts

Ban hammers, ham bammers (eeek), bam ham, ban ham (religious), ham banners (yay), Han banners (vader), ham h.., ok, I'll stop

Feral cat waterboarder

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #26570
I used to play keyboards, but now...

Liked 2178 Times on 1321 Posts
Likes Given: 2348

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Ban hammers, ham bammers (eeek), bam ham, ban ham (religious), ham banners (yay), Han banners (vader), ham h.., ok, I'll stop
Just one more... nobammers... that's my term for anti gun activists. But we digress....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This