Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2656
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #26551
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Good luck, v.d. V.d. is your initials?
I don't know which sounds more interesting as a job. It sounds like your heart is with tesla, though. From my perspective, having either opportunity is incredible.

I've often wondered why there isn't more centrifugal clutchs, cvt's, or something that operates the same, on more vehicles. I understand electric is more conductive to that kind of drive. But keeping a crotch rocket, Harley-Davidson, 4 cylinder car, or whatever internal combustion engine in the ideal torque range would have to be an advantage in acceleration and performance.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #26552
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

As of yet, cvts don't have the durability to handle the torque of modern engines in performance applications. They are working on it though. There have been a few prototypes to come out of the performance market though.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #26553
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Good luck, v.d. V.d. is your initials?
I don't know which sounds more interesting as a job. It sounds like your heart is with tesla, though. From my perspective, having either opportunity is incredible.

I've often wondered why there isn't more centrifugal clutchs, cvt's, or something that operates the same, on more vehicles. I understand electric is more conductive to that kind of drive. But keeping a crotch rocket, Harley-Davidson, 4 cylinder car, or whatever internal combustion engine in the ideal torque range would have to be an advantage in acceleration and performance.
Electrics do not utilize any sort of clutch whatsoever. They are direct drive right off the motor itself. 100% of the torque is available from a dead stop all the way up to the (limited) top speed. The Tesla I rode in a couple of years ago had a two-speed option. Economy and power. They have eliminated that option from the production cars (though I believe a few of the earliest Roadsters still had it) since it was just two different power management settings and nobody was using the economy setting. Go figure.

A buddy of mine has a Nissan Leaf and it does have two settings, but that is primarily to extend the limited range on that car (he gets about 85 miles out of a charge because he lives in the mountains where there is a lot of altitude increase on the way home). I have driven his car and it is one nice ride (despite its butt-ugly appearance)

There is a company called Zero Motorcycles (also local around here) that make both dirt bikes and dual-sport bikes. Their power to weight ratios are far, far better than any internal combustion engines can come close to. The only problem with them is the battery technology limits their range, but that is sure to change rapidly in the coming future. I wonder why they don't offer a supplemental battery pack for their Dual Sport bike to extend the range??? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

At this point the only down side to any of the state-of-the-art electric vehicle is range. They have all of the other aspects nailed big time. Battery technology is rapidly changing and there are billions of dollars being spent around here and elsewhere in order to crack that nut.

And BTW, I don't care to be called VD if you don't mind.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #26554

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
I just noticed, in the picture you can see in the bacground the mountains where I live! I can see the observatory from where I am sitting right now!
Now the gubberment knows where to send them black hellicopters

Quote:
As of yet, cvts don't have the durability to handle the torque of modern engines in performance applications. They are working on it though. There have been a few prototypes to come out of the performance market though.
Wifes dodge caliber has a cvt trans and i hate the damn things , sounds like a high powered golfcart WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

but it will hold 6500rpms all the way from 1st to 4th 0-100,,,,, just hangs out at 6500 , sounds like it slipping but its not .
IF you dont floor it you can feel it change gears just a little bit.

Just took the Harley for the 1st test drive since the wreck , unfortunately I have moderate injuries to BOTH hands and my A-hole hurts on the seat I have on it and noo rear brake right now so its not THAT fun to drive just yet .
But its 1pm and I have 5 boats to get out including one engine hang and I still have no parts

WHY AM I ON HERE ? I SHOULD BE WORKING

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #26555

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Off the boat. Woohoo.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #26556
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7106 Times on 4277 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Off the boat. Woohoo.
Hug your wife and daughter and most certainly enjoy your new home.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #26557
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Electrics do not utilize any sort of clutch whatsoever. They are direct drive right off the motor itself. 100% of the torque is available from a dead stop all the way up to the (limited) top speed. The Tesla I rode in a couple of years ago had a two-speed option. Economy and power. They have eliminated that option from the production cars (though I believe a few of the earliest Roadsters still had it) since it was just two different power management settings and nobody was using the economy setting. Go figure.

A buddy of mine has a Nissan Leaf and it does have two settings, but that is primarily to extend the limited range on that car (he gets about 85 miles out of a charge because he lives in the mountains where there is a lot of altitude increase on the way home). I have driven his car and it is one nice ride (despite its butt-ugly appearance)

There is a company called Zero Motorcycles (also local around here) that make both dirt bikes and dual-sport bikes. Their power to weight ratios are far, far better than any internal combustion engines can come close to. The only problem with them is the battery technology limits their range, but that is sure to change rapidly in the coming future. I wonder why they don't offer a supplemental battery pack for their Dual Sport bike to extend the range??? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

At this point the only down side to any of the state-of-the-art electric vehicle is range. They have all of the other aspects nailed big time. Battery technology is rapidly changing and there are billions of dollars being spent around here and elsewhere in order to crack that nut.

And BTW, I don't care to be called VD if you don't mind.
my prediction. that battery technology is going to advance by leaps and bounds in the next several years. they have already improved vastly over the last several years. IMO, i see batteries being the last really big hurdle for electric cars.

Stihl has an Ion battery powered lawnmower that is awesome, and the battery is actually very small. the lawnmower is very lightweight and pretty powerful for a battery operated lawnmower. mainly being marketed for people living in town and that have a small yard. we have one on the showroom floor and it's priced at $399.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #26558

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There was a tragic accident this morning in lacrosse wi. Lock number 7. I do a lot of work there and am familiar and friendly with the staff of the harbor service there. Tug was assisting a tow into the lock, and somehow went into the dam.

Two got off. They recovered the third today. 22 year old. I'm fairly sure it's the guy I normally work with. Hoping its not. Either way very sad.

http://m.waow.com/w/main/story/94991566/

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #26559

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

I AM GOING TO MURDER MY SON WHEN I GET HOME !!!!

Apparently he got mad about something and hit my 60 in samsung plasma tv with his bang bang and ruined the screen .
Yea the tv that I custom built a entire WALL for , yea the 1000.00 tv thats not 2 yrs old
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAH HHHHHH

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #26560

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
There was a tragic accident this morning in lacrosse wi. Lock number 7. I do a lot of work there and am familiar and friendly with the staff of the harbor service there. Tug was assisting a tow into the lock, and somehow went into the dam.

Two got off. They recovered the third today. 22 year old. I'm fairly sure it's the guy I normally work with. Hoping its not. Either way very sad.

http://m.waow.com/w/main/story/94991566/
Sheesh dude, that sucks. Sorry to here that. Stay alert.

Feral cat waterboarder