Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #26541
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,146
Liked 2228 Times on 1448 Posts

Default

Prayers to the 19 firefighters that lost their lives in Arizona.

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #26542
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,518
Liked 16884 Times on 9781 Posts
Likes Given: 44034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Prayers to the 19 firefighters that lost their lives in Arizona.
14 of them were in their twenties. very sad.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #26543
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MobileMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: youngsville,nc
Posts: 3,011
Liked 855 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Default

OOOOOOHHHHH BOY ........... NO BUENO

My parts distributor lost their printers yesterday hence my large order for parts for all of these boats did NOT get printed hence nothing was pulled nor shipped .
NO EFFING BUENO !

So that means I am going to be pulling some long hours or some pissed off customers . On top of all that ....... its 2 rain drops short of Noahs flood and if it keeps up there wont be any boats thursday .

Parts shipped today so that means they ought to be here by ohhh lets say 5pm tomar

least I now have time to finish the Hog

Oh yea . You cant use reg JB weld around magnets . magnets pull the steel out of the epoxy and wont cure

__________________
Quote:
Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.
MobileMarine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #26544
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,080
Liked 7348 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9472

Default

Spent today working on my resume. I am planning on submitting an application with Tesla as a factory mechanic and for a position where I would be developing training videos for service technicians. I met a friend of mine up at Alice's Restaurant and she is helping me work it out so it looks perfect. In the meantime I submitted an application with the University of California at Santa Cruz for a position as maintenance supervisor at the Lick Observatory. Buddy of mine volunteers there and also works part time as well recommended I do that so I did. It sounds like a pretty cool job actually, even though the starting pay is not so hot. There is an option for subsidized housing right there at the facility which would solve some problems for me. It is also easier to get a job when you already have one around here.

Wish me luck!

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #26545
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,518
Liked 16884 Times on 9781 Posts
Likes Given: 44034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Spent today working on my resume. I am planning on submitting an application with Tesla as a factory mechanic and for a position where I would be developing training videos for service technicians. I met a friend of mine up at Alice's Restaurant and she is helping me work it out so it looks perfect. In the meantime I submitted an application with the University of California at Santa Cruz for a position as maintenance supervisor at the Lick Observatory. Buddy of mine volunteers there and also works part time as well recommended I do that so I did. It sounds like a pretty cool job actually, even though the starting pay is not so hot. There is an option for subsidized housing right there at the facility which would solve some problems for me. It is also easier to get a job when you already have one around here.

Wish me luck!
wishing you the best of luck VikingDad! the Tesla job sounds pretty dang interesting and i'd like to be aboard that one. some really amazing things they are doing with that car. an electric sports car. that's amazing!

keep us informed of how it goes. and again good luck!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #26546
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,080
Liked 7348 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9472

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
wishing you the best of luck VikingDad! the Tesla job sounds pretty dang interesting and i'd like to be aboard that one. some really amazing things they are doing with that car. an electric sports car. that's amazing!

keep us informed of how it goes. and again good luck!
Thanks Axxe. I am pretty excited about Tesla, but it is pretty hard to get in there. I do have friends who work there and I have excellent references so I think I have a shot. I am working really hard on my resume and that is important. My friend who is helping me has a lot of experience in resume building and she has been quite a Godsend as I was struggling with it. I can write pretty well but a resume is a different sort of writing entirely than I am good at. It is also very difficult for me to toot my own horn (which is necessary to write your own resume), so I called another friend (who is one of my main references, he was my direct supervisor on paper where we worked together but he insists that I am and was his equal) and had him talk to the gal writing my resume. I was embarrassed by what they came up with, but it is all true stuff so I will be going with it I guess. We still need to meet up and do some more writing on it though. She lives in San Francisco so we have to meet halfway between here and there and Alice's works well for both of us (plus I know the owners so they don't mind if I take up a table for half the day and use their Wifi).

One of the things my one friend said is that I am extremely flexible and am just as comfortable with advanced tools, equipment and technology but I can also make the same repairs with duct tape and baling wire and it will work just as well. I am also just as versatile on highly technical luxury cars, hand fabricated race cars or farm vehicles.

I have good friends.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #26547
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,518
Liked 16884 Times on 9781 Posts
Likes Given: 44034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Thanks Axxe. I am pretty excited about Tesla, but it is pretty hard to get in there. I do have friends who work there and I have excellent references so I think I have a shot. I am working really hard on my resume and that is important. My friend who is helping me has a lot of experience in resume building and she has been quite a Godsend as I was struggling with it. I can write pretty well but a resume is a different sort of writing entirely than I am good at. It is also very difficult for me to toot my own horn (which is necessary to write your own resume), so I called another friend (who is one of my main references, he was my direct supervisor on paper where we worked together but he insists that I am and was his equal) and had him talk to the gal writing my resume. I was embarrassed by what they came up with, but it is all true stuff so I will be going with it I guess. We still need to meet up and do some more writing on it though. She lives in San Francisco so we have to meet halfway between here and there and Alice's works well for both of us (plus I know the owners so they don't mind if I take up a table for half the day and use their Wifi).

One of the things my one friend said is that I am extremely flexible and am just as comfortable with advanced tools, equipment and technology but I can also make the same repairs with duct tape and baling wire and it will work just as well. I am also just as versatile on highly technical luxury cars, hand fabricated race cars or farm vehicles.

I have good friends.
well i'm rooting for on the Tesla position as you seem like you're pretty stoked about it. i know i would be! plus if you got the Tesla position, you could enlighten me on how they make an electric car into a sports car!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #26548
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,080
Liked 7348 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9472

Default

The observatory job sounds extremely interesting as well though it is very different. Here is a portion of an article that was in Smithsonian Magazine titled "How to Tour the World’s Greatest Science Labs"

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/adventure/2013/04/how-to-tour-the-worlds-greatest-science-labs/#ixzz2XxaZVPg4
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter


Quote:
Lick Observatory. Perched upon the 4,200-foot Mount Hamilton, near San Jose, California, the Lick Observatory is where astronomer Geoff Marcy of UC Berkeley, along with several colleagues, has helped identify hundreds of planets outside our own solar system since 1995, when scientists discovered the first such planet orbiting a sun-like star.* It was a pair of Europeans—Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz, using the Haute-Provence Observatory—who first looked closely at the sun-like 51 Pegasi, located about 50 light-years away in the Pegasus constellation. In this star they observed an oscillating wobble—a telltale sign of an orbiting planet. They published their discovery in October 1995. A week later, Marcy took a second look at 51 Pegasi and confirmed the planet’s discovery. The planet became known as 51 Pegasi b. Marcy and his colleagues went on to discover hundreds more planets. For visitors, Lick Observatory is almost as friendly as a public museum. The site—at which James Lick lies buried beneath one of the telescopes—is open most days of the year and includes a bed and breakfast. Musical performances, weddings and other events are held on the summit. Check out Lick Observatory’s website for more information about visits.

* In 1992, astronomers Aleksander Wolszczan and Dale Frail discovered the very first extrasolar planets—though these were orbiting PSR B1257+12, believed to be the stellar corpse of a supernova. Thus, the planets are considered extremely unlikely to bear evidence of alien life.

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/adventure/2013/04/how-to-tour-the-worlds-greatest-science-labs/#ixzz2XxaDtvqV
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
And here is a picture of it:


__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #26549
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,080
Liked 7348 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9472

Default

I just noticed, in the picture you can see in the bacground the mountains where I live! I can see the observatory from where I am sitting right now!

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #26550
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,080
Liked 7348 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9472

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well i'm rooting for on the Tesla position as you seem like you're pretty stoked about it. i know i would be! plus if you got the Tesla position, you could enlighten me on how they make an electric car into a sports car!
I have actually been following the company since before they got the first prototypes on the road. They did a lot of the prototype testing on the roads around where I live and every time I had the opportunity I would stop and chat with the engineers who were testing them. I got to crawl all over those cars and even got a ride in one a few years ago. Incredibly impressive cars, although the early prototypes were quite crude (as prototypes will be). Damned thing was impressively fast though, and quiet too! One thing that would take some getting used to is there are no shift points. it just keeps going faster and faster as long as your foot is on the floor! Strange.

I have honestly not heard a single complaint from anybody who owns one. They do get a bit of "range anxiety" when they first start driving them, but they get used to it pretty quickly.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 64 02-22-2013 07:14 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 10:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 04:47 PM