Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2638
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #26371
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,529
Liked 8814 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11487

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if they had had the time to work out the bugs in the DeLorean, it wuld have been a neat car. they are a fun car to drive, but not sports car material by any means. i have driven and worked a few of them in the past, and they handle decently, braking is so-so, and acceleration is okay. i would put them in about the same class as a Pontiac Fiero.
I agree. Fiero. Ho-hum at best. I think the biggest problems with the DeLorean are the lack of power (even if it had 200 HP it would be marginal IMO, the US version was somewhere around 125 HP IIRC) and sluggish handling. It is impressively light given the SS skin though. I think it was under 1.25 tons if I recall correctly.

Given all of the hype back when it was introduced I would have expected a Pantera, but they produced a Fiero.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #26372
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I agree. Fiero. Ho-hum at best. I think the biggest problems with the DeLorean are the lack of power (even if it had 200 HP it would be marginal IMO, the US version was somewhere around 125 HP IIRC) and sluggish handling. It is impressively light given the SS skin though. I think it was under 1.25 tons if I recall correctly.

Given all of the hype back when it was introduced I would have expected a Pantera, but they produced a Fiero.
exactly. it had some very unique ideas and could have been a great car had it continued in production. the potential for a great car was there. sadly it went bankrupt before it got the chance. a different engine or more power in the one it had would have made a world of difference. it just needed some refining.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #26373
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,747
Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Default

It was all the US regulations that killed the DeLorean... It was originally designed with a lower suspension, a 200 HP engine, and they even had to lower the speedo from 140 to 85 MPH. All the redesigns brought the price up from $12,000 to $25,000 and started the money problems for J. DeLorean. It was also kinda misunderstood, it was suppose to be the "Ethical car of the future" not a Super car. The Stainless body was chosen due to the fact it didnt need harmful paint and wouldnt rust. A Volvo V6 doesnt exactly scream performance.... There were twin turbo and other engines on the drawing board when DMC went out of business.

The car itself is only half the reason I want one, John DeLorean was a genius. He invented the Muscle car, Was the youngest person to make it though the ranks of GM. He started by managing the Pontiac division (where he invented the GTO), then Chevrolet, then became the youngest Vice-President of GM, and was the next to become the President of GM, when he quit to make his own car company. In about 4 years he built the DMC factory and had cars rolling off the assembly line.

Another reason I want one is because they are actually affordable.. Its not a million dollar Lambo and they get more attention. Everybody knows what a DeLorean is !!
Ever since I was about 4 I wanted a Tucker or a DeLorean, and the Tucker costs a lot more.... (like a half million.. )

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #26374
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,747
Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Default

Proof all cars from the 80's sucked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutfVb8tvIE

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #26375
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,657
Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Default

Trip was right. Disappointedly, it has taken a turn for the worse.

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #26376
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,529
Liked 8814 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11487

Default

I would prefer the Ferrari too. Though they are pretty ho-hum too. One of my favorite Ferraris is the Dino. I just love the lines of this car- and they are a dream to drive.

dino.jpg  
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #26377
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
It was all the US regulations that killed the DeLorean... It was originally designed with a lower suspension, a 200 HP engine, and they even had to lower the speedo from 140 to 85 MPH. All the redesigns brought the price up from $12,000 to $25,000 and started the money problems for J. DeLorean. It was also kinda misunderstood, it was suppose to be the "Ethical car of the future" not a Super car. The Stainless body was chosen due to the fact it didnt need harmful paint and wouldnt rust. A Volvo V6 doesnt exactly scream performance.... There were twin turbo and other engines on the drawing board when DMC went out of business.

The car itself is only half the reason I want one, John DeLorean was a genius. He invented the Muscle car, Was the youngest person to make it though the ranks of GM. He started by managing the Pontiac division (where he invented the GTO), then Chevrolet, then became the youngest Vice-President of GM, and was the next to become the President of GM, when he quit to make his own car company. In about 4 years he built the DMC factory and had cars rolling off the assembly line.

Another reason I want one is because they are actually affordable.. Its not a million dollar Lambo and they get more attention. Everybody knows what a DeLorean is !!
Ever since I was about 4 I wanted a Tucker or a DeLorean, and the Tucker costs a lot more.... (like a half million.. )
biggest thing that killed the DeLorean was a bad business by Delorean that ended up with him being charged with dope trafficking, for which he was found to not be involved with, but ended up bankrupting his business.

building the care in Ireland, he knew that importing the car, it would have strict safety and emissions regulations that it have to abide by.

John Delorean was a gifted car designer, but IMO, a poor businessman.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #26378
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MobileMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: youngsville,nc
Posts: 3,698
Liked 1218 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Default

Well the weekend was as painful as expected . Young kids in a strange house trying to go to sleep = up till 3 am
Took them to the beach sat and let them play for a while , went back for a nap that I knew they needed since they did not sleep the night before while I went and checked out the boat . Boat check out ok but they did not nap and were being terrible .
Sunday we woke up to nice down pours and storms , got a break and hit the beach before it broke bad again . Went to get them a hermit crab but they would not stop fighting over it and hell if I am paying 30.00 for 2 crab cages and food so we cut our losses and loaded up for home , wouldnt you know it , it cleared up as we were leaving but I had already covered the boat so the hell with it .

Vacations are good for nothing but making you love home more

__________________

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

MobileMarine is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #26379
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I agree. Fiero. Ho-hum at best....
Given all of the hype back when it was introduced I would have expected a Pantera, but they produced a Fiero.
I had a roommate in college who had one of the Fieros (no wing, v6, early year). I don't often let others drive my vehicle, but we traded for an afternoon. He enjoyed my ford exploder and I thoroughly enjoyed the little Fiero, except the closely-placed pedals. It had a four speed manual and got through the gears VERY quickly with a bit of pedal. It also had a rock-solid suspension that didn't duck or dive a bit under hard braking or acceleration. It didn't have the gearing for much top-end fun on the interstate, but around town it was a trip.

Had it been equipped with a six speed manual transmission, I would have one by now, or the wrecked remains of one.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #26380
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,657
Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Default

A guy at work is on a fiero forum. People are sticking the gm supercharged 3800 v6 engines in them and having lots of fun dusting new camaros and mustangs.

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is online now  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 72 06-01-2014 06:33 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 11:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 05:47 PM