Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #25941
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Needs to be another $1000.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #25942

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Going tower climbing tomorrow up in Oakland. Found an antenna, 60' tower and all of the hardware for free, all we have to do is take it down. The boys and I are going up in the AM and getting to work. I'll take some pics from the top of the tower.
This is what's in the the hobby and service now, eh?

Well, I read his accident report last time...

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information for block number 3 of the accident reporting form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more fully and I trust the following detail will be sufficient.

I am an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was working alone on the top section of my new 80 foot tower. When I had completed my work, I discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware. Rather than carry the now un-needed tools and material down by hand, I decided to lower the items down in a small barrel by using a pulley, which fortunately was attached to the gin pole at the top of the tower.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and material into the barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow decent of the 300 pounds of tools. You will note in block number 11 of the accident reporting form, that I weigh only 155 pounds.

Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold onto the rope in spite of my pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the tools, the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block number 11. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower.

In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles and the lacerations of my legs and lower body. The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell onto the pile of tools and fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools, in pain, unable to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me... I again lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-11-2013 at 08:52 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #25943
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6763 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Not much I guess.

Holy cow man! Slow down on the food.
He has to fuel those humongous biceps he has.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #25944
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

This is what's in the the hobby and service now, eh?

Well, I read his accident report last time...

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information for block number 3 of the accident reporting form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more fully and I trust the following detail will be sufficient.

I am an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was working alone on the top section of my new 80 foot tower. When I had completed my work, I discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware. Rather than carry the now un-needed tools and material down by hand, I decided to lower the items down in a small barrel by using a pulley, which fortunately was attached to the gin pole at the top of the tower.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and material into the barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow decent of the 300 pounds of tools. You will note in block number 11 of the accident reporting form, that I weigh only 155 pounds.

Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold onto the rope in spite of my pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the tools, the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block number 11. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower.

In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles and the lacerations of my legs and lower body. The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell onto the pile of tools and fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools, in pain, unable to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me... I again lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope.
Are you sure you didn't write for Road Runner cartoons in the 1960's? ROFL!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #25945

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Balota, I wish I could take credit for this... It is an old, anonymous, very funny anecdote within the Ham community.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #25946

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

Yeah. I'd just be happy to see ammo on the shelves again. If I ever find out which pawn shop is buying up all the ammo, I'll put the bastards out of business. I'll make sure every gun owner within 20 miles knows.

My reloading shop said that pawn shop was selling 45 ACP they bough at walmart for close to $80 a box. They wouldn't say which pawn shop it was though.
A lot of people are doing this, and it infuriates me beyond any reasonable level.

I did find out that the reason my local gun shop has ammo on the shelves is because they've identified the biggest offenders in my area and have black listed the bastards.

Then the employees spend some time on Facebook, bombing the gougers ads.

Just one more reason I love that shop. Their prices on guns and ammo has remained reasonable. The prices on gear and accessories are atrocious though, but that's SOP for them.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #25947

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

A guy at work just bought a new m&p 15 flat top, with a folding rear sight, and a 30 round pmag for $699. Is the drought over? We can only hope.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #25948

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Mobile- as far as cutting the grass, and covering the broken window-

Permit me to teach you a new word. In Yiddish. In English characters, it would be pronounced mitz-veh.

Means a good deed, done without hope of reward. Except it bestows a blessing on you for doing the right thing.

Taking the time to put 50 cents worth of plastic over a broken window might save the future owner having to replace $1000 worth of plywood floor. And who knows- it might be a nice young couple struggling to get their first house. If the new owners turn out to be jerks- that is a stain on THEIR soul, not yours. Hell, they may offer you the place dirt cheap, and you end up as a real estate tycoon.

As far as the bio-hazard in the house- you have worked enough bad wrecks to know- there are no magical elves that show up to cleanup. And no one ever considers- after a mass assault crime scene- like Newtown, the Aurora theater- there are folks that have to come in and clean and disinfect the place.
No way no how going in there w/o the S.O being there , the state has control over the estate due to him using a stolen identity all those years . ALL and I mean ALL of his stuff is still inside and in his gayrage well I say it is , who knows what the S.O '' took into evidence '' . I dont really want to go over JIC something turns up missing and everyone says they saw me over there , I have enough legal issues right now which btw I have court tomar and I am worried absolute sick over even though I have done what they have asked of me so far , I just hate court and between that , the wreck and work my mind cant take much more . hell the wrecked scared me more than taking apart that artillery round I have .
I have not lost my temper so much as to start beating a part with a hammer but I lost it yesterday on outboard flywheel that broke 2 pullers before stripping the thread out of the flywheel so I grabbed the 5lb and commenced to beat the ever living hell out of it in hopes of breaking it off and it ....... came right off
Been a long long time since I have been this stressed

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #25949

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Trying to put the weed eater in the back of the truck, with all the miscellaneous junk, I ended up jamming my right ring finger INTO the damn muffler, after I'd been running it wide open for a little over an hour. HOT. Nice burn. At least it's only on the tip of a single finger.

But then the arthritis that I'm way too damn young to have, decided to crawl up my ass and rear it's ugly head. I went from fully able and capable to "the claw" in less than a minute. My damn elbows don't even want to move right.

Have a wide assortment of anti inflammatories at the office, one of which is "Aleve arthritis".

And today is supposed to be range day.

Oh, when I looked in my tool box to get some weed eater line, I discovered used sewer gloves laying right on top. Gooey, nasty, smelly, human fecal matter slowly oozing into the contents of my tool box.

It may just be a good day to go to prison, cause I'm about to ****ing kill somebody, and I'll wear the ****ty gloves while I strangle the nasty bastard.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #25950
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Trying to put the weed eater in the back of the truck, with all the miscellaneous junk, I ended up jamming my right ring finger INTO the damn muffler, after I'd been running it wide open for a little over an hour. HOT. Nice burn. At least it's only on the tip of a single finger.

But then the arthritis that I'm way too damn young to have, decided to crawl up my ass and rear it's ugly head. I went from fully able and capable to "the claw" in less than a minute. My damn elbows don't even want to move right.

Have a wide assortment of anti inflammatories at the office, one of which is "Aleve arthritis".

And today is supposed to be range day.

Oh, when I looked in my tool box to get some weed eater line, I discovered used sewer gloves laying right on top. Gooey, nasty, smelly, human fecal matter slowly oozing into the contents of my tool box.

It may just be a good day to go to prison, cause I'm about to ****ing kill somebody, and I'll wear the ****ty gloves while I strangle the nasty bastard.
Take a deep breath, get the gun, and go blow some **** up. It will make you feel better.