Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2592
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #25911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It's got a NICE trigger. Just a little creep at first, then it breaks like a glass rod. It's light too.

I already love the 3 dot sights. Very easy to see (which is great, cause my eyes suck). The finish is also nice. It looks like a matte blue, but it's not blued. It's something else.

The weight isn't too bad either. Feels just right to me. Maybe everyone else is just a wuss. (jk)

I only have one problem with it. I have no ammo to feed it, and the only 45 ACP ammo around here is WAY overpriced.
Very nice. Bet he didn't have the ammo to shoot it either...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #25912
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

spent $142 on ammo today.
100 rnds of 158 gr 38 s < $26 per 50
50rnds of .357 mag 158gr spsj <$30
and 100 rnds of .45acp. < $25 per 50

and NYS TAX.......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OUCH.. lol

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #25913
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

so, did ANYONE see the new NYS emperoers latest commercial? i searched but could not find any links. i saw it while at work today.

he sat there staring at the camera asking for help at cleaning up albany by ending all the corruption in the house and senate.

my mouth hit the floor.

and when i told my wife we both had the same idea... he can start "cleaning" up by going to hell where he came from.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #25914
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
They do make conversions for the 1911...

I was picturing something that was a little more appealing. That thing looks like the unholy product of a drunken night after John Browning's wake where a Sten and a 1911 hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Well , I broke down this weekend and mowed my dead neighbors yard ...... I mean wheat field .... no no no um jungle , yea thats it a tick infest wheat field jungle . None of other neighbors wanted to go over there out of superstition or just being seen over there with all his stuff being there still .
I told everyone what i was going to do and everyone was working their yards anyway so I went for it .
I have one bad ass 3cly yanmar diesel 72in deer and it was all it wanted cutting that mess .
ANd the ticks were .... like a flippin horror movie , swarms of them started crawling on the garage and house .
I never saw it before but the bullet went through his head , out the exterior wall and back in the house through a window which is still busted out letting in the elements .
I wonder what the house is like now with all the food and splatter , no power and heat and bugs ? I am tempted to get some plastic or wood and cover the window , none of us want some low lifes moving in and if the place is in bad shape it will sell cheap and who knows who or what will get it .
All of my locks and blockades are still up but I do think his riding mower is missing . I only cut what is visible but I cut a path around the house JIC anyone wanting to buy could walk around

Got a request from the insurance company for my info and injuries fromt he wreck to report to medicad for statistics . Yea , I will not be filling that one out , maybe photo copy my ass and send that to them pointing out where the injury to my underwear came from LMAO
Didn't he have any next of kin? In any event, I wouldn't want to walk in there until after the smell subsides. In a dry climate that shouldn't be too long, but in NC? Could be awhile.

Yanno, you could claim the accident screwed up your back even more than it was.

Quote:
It's got a NICE trigger. Just a little creep at first, then it breaks like a glass rod. It's light too.

I already love the 3 dot sights. Very easy to see (which is great, cause my eyes suck). The finish is also nice. It looks like a matte blue, but it's not blued. It's something else.

The weight isn't too bad either. Feels just right to me. Maybe everyone else is just a wuss. (jk)

I only have one problem with it. I have no ammo to feed it, and the only 45 ACP ammo around here is WAY overpriced.
ard to come by right now, but investing in the dies and tools now shouldn't be any more expensive as all of the reputable companies have not raised their prices (Midway and Dillon are two of those). On the other hand I foresee a huge glut of reloading equipment being dumped on Craigslist as people find out that it takes not an insignificant amount of time and dedication to reload safely. Keep your eyes open for that!

Reload. I know components are h

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #25915

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I was picturing something that was a little more appealing. That thing looks like the unholy product of a drunken night after John Browning's wake where a Sten and a 1911 hooked up.

Didn't he have any next of kin? In any event, I wouldn't want to walk in there until after the smell subsides. In a dry climate that shouldn't be too long, but in NC? Could be awhile.

Yanno, you could claim the accident screwed up your back even more than it was.

ard to come by right now, but investing in the dies and tools now shouldn't be any more expensive as all of the reputable companies have not raised their prices (Midway and Dillon are two of those). On the other hand I foresee a huge glut of reloading equipment being dumped on Craigslist as people find out that it takes not an insignificant amount of time and dedication to reload safely. Keep your eyes open for that!

Reload. I know components are h
I already have some powder that would work, and some casings I found at the range awhile back, so all I need are the bullets, primers, and dies. I think my local reloading supply place has the primers and dies, but the bullets are a little harder to find. I'd like to cast them, but I don't have the equipment for that yet. The pickings on the molds are slim anyways.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #25916

What do you guys think would work better out of a 1911. 240 gr JHP, or 185 gr FMJ semi-wadcutters? There's only about $2.50 difference between them, so price really doesn't matter.

How about Rainier LeadSafe Bullets (200 gr round nose)? They're the cheapest per bullet.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-11-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #25917

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The 1911 was not designed or intended to feed SWC reliably. Mine does it though, but I ain't gonna carry them for SD.

Stick with ball ammo for at least a while since it's what the 1911 was originally designed for, same brand, weights, everything. Keep everything the same. That way, if any problems crop up, you've got a leg up on identifying the problem, by making it easier to either confirm or deny the ammo as the issue. Identifying problem ammo is a costly process when done at the rate of one 50 round box at a time.

Bear in mind that one of the next biggest problem areas of any semi auto are the magazines. This can also be a costly trial and error elimination process, so go ahead and mark your mags now, a number or an unobtrusive dot system.

Chances are, you'll have no trouble to speak of. But when you know the possibilities, it's easier to take steps to properly identify those possible problems, engineer just one reason why I still like revolvers. They don't automatically feed, eject, or take any kind of feeding device. Downside: when a revolver locks up, chances are it's not going back into the fight before hitting the bench.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #25918
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
How is everyone doing? I am officially 100 % cleared for my new job being a youth mentor for kids of abuse, sexual abuse, drug and/or alcohol abuse.

I do however have to give notice today to my other job security and while I read it in the handbook it is not a requirement to give two weeks notice but preferred (if you don't you can not get rehired in the future). Would it be wrong to suggest they have other employee's finish my shifts? I know a few of them need the extra hours and a some want more training in which they could work them as well.

Between the two jobs I am at about 62 days in a row so I am a tad tired and want to take a couple days off.

Oh yeah I also finished my degree, now comes the choice of if I should go back for a second degree in psychology.
One thing I've learned, don't burn bridges if at all possible. Especially when it comes to employment. Unless of course you absolutely hate them and they will never impact your life again. But for future applications if they ask if they can contact previous employers, you're going to have to explain why you didn't give 2-weeks notice.

Their handbook isn't the law, but it is the operating procedure you were hired under. You wouldn't be the first person to drop a job like a hot potato. I would talk to the boss if you think they'll listen, explain the situation, and offer to see if you can get others to cover the shifts to help. Try to leave on good terms, despite the fact that they could fire you at a moments notice with no regrets.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

jeffm Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #25919

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The 1911 was not designed or intended to feed SWC reliably. Mine does it though, but I ain't gonna carry them for SD.

Stick with ball ammo for at least a while since it's what the 1911 was originally designed for, same brand, weights, everything. Keep everything the same. That way, if any problems crop up, you've got a leg up on identifying the problem, by making it easier to either confirm or deny the ammo as the issue. Identifying problem ammo is a costly process when done at the rate of one 50 round box at a time.

Bear in mind that one of the next biggest problem areas of any semi auto are the magazines. This can also be a costly trial and error elimination process, so go ahead and mark your mags now, a number or an unobtrusive dot system.

Chances are, you'll have no trouble to speak of. But when you know the possibilities, it's easier to take steps to properly identify those possible problems, engineer just one reason why I still like revolvers. They don't automatically feed, eject, or take any kind of feeding device. Downside: when a revolver locks up, chances are it's not going back into the fight before hitting the bench.
I guess I'll go with the leadsafe bullets then. Their basically just lead that has been plated instead of jacketed. Their pretty close to FMJ ball ammo, and I can get 500 for $65. I couldn't find any true FMJ.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #25920

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

I guess I'll go with the leadsafe bullets then. Their basically just lead that has been plated instead of jacketed. Their pretty close to FMJ ball ammo, and I can get 500 for $65. I couldn't find any true FMJ.
Um... I'll take some?

What is the difference between plated and jacketed?