Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2582
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #25811
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Hmmm. I have some primers that are 50 years old that have been stored out in a garage here in the coastal California mountains (quite wet in the winter) and though I have not reloaded with them, I have tried some by hitting them with a hammer to see if they are still working and not yet has one failed to ignite.

BTW, I found the small magnum pistol primers I was looking for and bought 1000- though I probably won't be going back to that store again (what an A-hole. He asked how many I wanted and I asked if he had a case. He replied "I wouldn't sell them to you if I did! Other people need some too." Seriously? He asked how many boxes I wanted for Pete's sake! Besides, all those other guys weren't standing in line behind me waiting to buy them with cash in hand!). A buddy of mine has a bunch of the CCI large rifle primers for my 1886 Winchester and he gave me a couple hundred- said I can have more if I need them and then later on today he said I can have 8 lbs of H-335 that he has and I can replenish it later when things get back to normal.
So I am pretty much good to go for now!

We will be working up some loads for the 1886 tomorrow and doing some other load and powder testing too. Shot some Trail Dust in .357 and in .44 Magnum. Nice pleasant to shoot powder. pretty good accuracy too, as far as we went. It is the only powder you can consistently find on the shelves around here so we figured to try it out. We are also going to try out some Blue Dot and some fresh Bullseye (I have a bunch of Bullseye that is pretty old and not burning completely- though it is still very consistent.)
I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with the primers. Humidity and age just seemed like it could have been the cause. I'm going to have to order a bullet puller now. Oh well, I needed to get one anyways.

Congrats on the powder and primer find. Have fun shooting.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #25812
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8921 Times on 5337 Posts
Likes Given: 11925

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
.Think I may go pick up another gun tomorrow. LGS has a nice Browning A-5 on the rack.
You did NOT win that much money.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #25813
FTF_ADMIN.png

Default Good people....

I seem to come across a lot of good people. i don't understand when some people say they don't like people. I think other people can be very interesting and I enjoy the company of most.

I stop at a particular gas station on my way to work. If you have one of their cups, you can get refills pretty cheap. I often stop there to get a refill of either Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper. Yesterday, I went in, filled my cup and waited at the register. When I went in, I noticed the clerk was cleaning those rolling cooker thingies for the hot dogs and whatever. I waited and waited but she couldn't see I was at the register because of the shelves. So I went up to her and I asked her if she could check me out so I could get to work. She was apologetic and I told her it was okay since she couldn't see I was standing there. So, she rings me up and it's then I realize I forgot to tell her it was a refill. So, I mention it, she gets a look on her face like it's going to be a hassle. So, since it's a small amount of money, I tell her forget it, it's okay and it's no big deal. She apologizes and I brush it off because, really, it was no big deal. So, today I stop in again. Again, she is cleaning the cooker thingie. I fill my cup and go to the register. I noticed she was paying attention to where I was at and she comes to the register, nods at me and tells me to have a good night. I'm confused and I stand there. She nods her head towards the door and tells me to have a good night. I get it, she's giving me the drink for free. I tell her that's not necessary, that yesterday was just a mix up and it's okay. She tells me it is necessary, asks me if i'm headed to work and tells me to have a good night. I don't know about you all, but I meet awesome people every day.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #25814
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10998 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1806

Quote:
I meet awesome people every day.
Fascinating the folks you can meet if you take the time to notice them!

And yes, took top spot in the tournament. and that will cover the A-5 nicely, thank you very much!
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #25815
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Fascinating the folks you can meet if you take the time to notice them!
I rarely meet people I don't like. If I do begin to not like someone, it's after knowing them for a while and getting to know the "real" them, which is sometimes not "good people". But for the most part, people are awesome.

Quote:
And yes, took top spot in the tournament. and that will cover the A-5 nicely, thank you very much!
Isn't it illegal to hold private poker games with stakes that high?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #25816
FTF_ADMIN.png

I am fretting about how I'm going to get my wheelchair bound Father to my son's local wedding reception. He can't get in and out of my car anymore and I am having trouble finding wheelchair transportation for him to the reception. My doctor told me I could call a private ambulance service but that would be costly. If I have to do it, I'm going to pay it. I can't exclude my Father for this event in both his life and my son's life.

There is a handicapped bus service that runs all day but it is only for bringing people to and from medical appointments, not social events.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #25817
FTF_ADMIN.png

Speaking of my doctor, I finally got health insurance again and went to the doctor for a much needed check up. My check up and blood work went very well considering I hadn't had health insurance for 9 months and often didn't take my meds as prescribed due to financial difficulties. I have been seeing the same doctor for about 25 years now and he said to me with a smile on his face, "You always seem to land on your feet, don't you?" He has seen me through a divorce, raising my children, loss of my job, etc. And I won't even mention the parts of my body he's seen!! My doctor is about my age, give or take a year. Our kids are the same ages and we often discuss life. He's been a good confidante.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #25818

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I am fretting about how I'm going to get my wheelchair bound Father to my son's local wedding reception. He can't get in and out of my car anymore and I am having trouble finding wheelchair transportation for him to the reception. My doctor told me I could call a private ambulance service but that would be costly. If I have to do it, I'm going to pay it. I can't exclude my Father for this event in both his life and my son's life.

There is a handicapped bus service that runs all day but it is only for bringing people to and from medical appointments, not social events.
Is he a vet? If so contact the local veterans organization - - - Around here they will provide transportation by volunteers and some have wheel chair equipped vans - - - Just remember they are volunteers and offer a donation to help with their expenses - - - If he is not a vet you might try contacting them anyway and explain your situation and they would probably be willing for a donation anyway.

You might look into getting a wheel chair equipped van if you need to take care of him as the 4 to5 year old ones in good shape can often be bought very cheaply.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #25819
FTF_ADMIN.png

So yesterday I bring in the mail and I notice I got a letter from my sister. That's strange because we usually text or talk on the phone. I open it and it is a legal form, signed, witnessed, notarized, that I have been assigned her medical Power Of Attorney. Now, usually, one would think to ask someone before you just assign them such a responsibility, wouldn't you? But it's okay, I wouldn't have told her "no" anyway. And I am my Dad's medical POA. There, handwritten on the back of the last form she wrote, "My daughters wouldn't be able to pull the plug on me if the need should ever arise. I know you could." Well, should I be complimented or is she recalling the fights we had as kids? I texted her and said, "If I should ever have to pull the plug on you, I hope your daughters don't fight me tooth and nail." But then, lightheartedly, I added, "I've made an appointment for you to see Dr. Kevorkian next week." I think I'll bury her next to my favorite Boston Terrier in the back yard.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #25820
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I rarely meet people I don't like. If I do begin to not like someone, it's after knowing them for a while and getting to know the "real" them, which is sometimes not "good people". But for the most part, people are awesome.

Isn't it illegal to hold private poker games with stakes that high?
I think it is only illegal if the "house" takes a share of the pot. A private game between friends and relatives is legal. May vary from state to state though.

c3 what were you playing? We had a group a few years ago that met once a month, dealers choice, stud, draw, etc. Sometimes with wild cards sometimes not.