Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2577
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #25761
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Wait, What?

Be safe.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #25762
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Just did some research. I don't think I'd be able to ship hazmat.

The rules regarding it are confusing. I googled the question, and most of the answers said that you usually had to have a contract with a shipping firm (UPS or FedEx), otherwise, they wouldn't ship it for you. I also read that you may have to be certified before you could ship hazmat.
One person who claimed to work in hazmat and customs at UPS said that you could be fined a minimum of $45,000 if you did anything wrong, including the paperwork

I'll have to see if the shop can ship.

Funny thing is that live ammo is not hazmat, but primers are. . I looked into shipping some powder awhile back (was it to you?) and found out some of that. Just found out about the primers though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #25763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Funny thing is that live ammo is not hazmat, but primers are. . I looked into shipping some powder awhile back (was it to you?) and found out some of that. Just found out about the primers though.
It wasn't me. I think I you pmed me about it by mistake though.

I don't understand that live ammo vs primers and powder thing either. I guess it's just more Government logic.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #25764
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7317 Times on 4401 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Welp about to do some Crazy dangerous stuff to drop these barges. If I don't make it through to daylight. It's been good y'all.
I don't like to see a post like this from you, Ky. Please take care so you can return to your wife, daughter and unborn baby.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #25765
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It wasn't me. I think I you pmed me about it by mistake though.

I don't understand that live ammo vs primers and powder thing either. I guess it's just more Government logic.

Yeah, best shut up about it or they will change things for the worse.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #25766
FTF_MODERATOR.png

This story is for Trip. He posted a while ago that his co-workers ate the food he brought to work for his son. This is how they roll where I work.

I bought a big bag of Peanut M&M's simply because it said, "You picked the New Color Mix". I wanted to see the new colors. I don't dislike chocolate but I'm not real crazy for it so I ate a few of the M&M's and left the bag at work on the table in the break room. Someone saw me take the bag of candy out of my tote bag, eat a couple then put the bag on the table. Where I work the unwritten rule is, if someone's name is on it you don't touch it. If it's not 'labeled', then it's fair game. I did not have my name on this bag of candy. Imagine my surprise when I come in to work the next day and the bag of candy is still on the table with very little eaten out of it. I said, "Wow, I thought these would be all gone by now." A coworker said, "We didn't eat any because we thought they were yours." I told them all it was for anyone who wanted some and tonight when I came in to work they were all gone. Now, that is some respect!!

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #25767

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Orders got changed! No insane crazy stuff!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #25768

Quote:
What were you going to do?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #25769

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

What were you going to do?
Try to cram 6 lengths of barges in a 5 length space, so jackknife tow into this hole south bound kick rigging off the lead barges swing lines from an empty to a load and work against the boat in reverse order from the way it needed to be done.
Basically doing **** that doesn't need to be done that way. A lot of **** breaks that way. Not a safe environment. All while trying to keep an eye on a trainee, it's hard to work against te current in the wrong order and the boat.

Work 3 swing lines at once to try and get the drops in under some ice breaker cells, then somehow manage to tie the stern to the mooring cells. It wasn't going to happen anyhow. Ain't no way in hell.

Tug told us we were on our own. Guess the pilot told them to help. They came and grabbed out drops off of us instead. Much safer and faster.

Mind you that's 1200 foot of barge length. Trying to finagle that into a 1000 foot space with these little ass nylon lines. Yep. Fun times. I was excited about doing it, as its exciting and an adrenaline rush when stuff starts breaking. That's why I love the upper Mississippi in high water. Smoke rolls off our lock lines going into locks and out, those break it will kill you or tear you up.

Think of a 2" thick rope, that is designed to withstand a lot of breaking strength, stretched tight then explodes. Lots of energy there. Fella on my boat has his calf muscle shoved through the front of his calf. Fella got a glancing hit to the head last year. Ended up in a coma and died. Would have been better to take it direct. Faster death at least.

A barge weighs around 1000 ton? They will carry 1500 tons of cargo. That's 58-60 SEMI trucks. Per barge.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Last edited by kytowboater; 06-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #25770
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
I don't think they should be asking you to do unsafe maneuvers.