Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2572
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #25711
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Cool Beans TWW!
Yep.

The place charged a bit more than midway, but when you include the hazmat, it still saved me about $20.

They still had a LOT of different types of powder.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-06-2013 at 08:47 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #25712
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Yep.

The place charged a bit more than midway, but when you include the hazmat, it still saved me about $20.
MidwayUSA charges about $21.99 a pound for the IMR powder i use. i buy the same powder at my LGS for about $29.00 a pound. so even factoring in the hazmat fee and then the amount of money i spend on gas for the 70 mile round trip drive, i still save a huge amount of money per pound. but i usually spend most of the day at the LGS looking and sometimes buying other things too, so the money spent on gas is irrelevent to me!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #25713

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yep. That's all too true. As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure she'll blame someone else. Although, I haven't heard anything yet about her blaming a city employee.

On another topic...
Was cruising around today (mapped a route according to the locations of the cleanest public restrooms. Thank you, Ronin steakhouse) and noticed a man throwing these huge power cables in a dumpster.

Pulled over...
"hey man..."
"yo homey..."

I asked what he was doing. He was tossing them because the insulation was dry rotted and they were burned in a few places.

I says "hey, ain't they got copper? Why don't you take 'em to a scrap yard?"

He says, "scrap yard won't take 'em lessen they's been stripped. I ain't got time fo that. You got time fo that?"

I says, "damn straight I do. Throw 'em in da truck."

Now, I'm hanging out in the shop, stripping the insulation from about 200' of power cord about as thick as my thumb. Inside are three individual strands, white, black, green, about 1/4 inch thick, after being stripped individually. I guess that's positive, negative, ground? Don't matter. It all has that pretty copper color... Except in the burnt spots.

I know several years ago, copper was up at over 5 bucks per pound, and there was a HUGE problem in Raleigh NC of people stealing copper.

I checked a couple years ago and it was down to 2.50 ish per pound.

I'll look it up again, and compare that to whatever the guy at the scrap yard tries to rip me off for. Likely I'll sell it regardless. I may melt some down into ingots to store for a rainy day. Hell, I may just melt it all down... Who knows? It could go well over 5 bucks again.

It all weighed nearly 200 (maybe about 170ish) in whole pieces before I started stripping it.
HAHAHA --I live around Raleigh and was doing HVAC work during the days of $5.00 scrap copper. The thieves made us a lot of money stealing those AC units,,,btw you lucked out with that cable but if you want to make more at the scrap yard get your boy to brighten it up with sand paper

Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #25714

Quote:
MidwayUSA charges about $21.99 a pound for the IMR powder i use. i buy the same powder at my LGS for about $29.00 a pound. so even factoring in the hazmat fee and then the amount of money i spend on gas for the 70 mile round trip drive, i still save a huge amount of money per pound. but i usually spend most of the day at the LGS looking and sometimes buying other things too, so the money spent on gas is irrelevent to me!
The IMR 4320 was $28.99, so I guess that price is pretty standard.

I'm probably going to go back and get another pound of powder. I just realized I can't use clay dot in 20 ga (I plan on reloading for 12 ga too, so that is absolutely no problem).

I've heard Green Dot, and Unique are good. Any other suggestions?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #25715
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The IMR 4320 was $28.99, so I guess that price is pretty standard.

I'm probably going to go back and get another pound of powder. I just realized I can't use clay dot in 20 ga (I plan on reloading for 12 ga too, so that is absolutely no problem).

I've heard Green Dot, and Unique are good. Any other suggestions?
about the same as why i'm paying for mine! good price IMO.

haven't started reloading for shotgun shells yet so i haven't put a lot of research into powders yet. don't even have a reloading book for shotgun shells yet!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #25716

Quote:
about the same as why i'm paying for mine! good price IMO.

haven't started reloading for shotgun shells yet so i haven't put a lot of research into powders yet. don't even have a reloading book for shotgun shells yet!
I don't have a book for shotgun shells yet either. I'll eventually get one. For now, I'll use this.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog/alliantpowder-reloadersguide/offline/download.pdf

I think I'll go with Unique if they have any.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #25717

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post

HAHAHA --I live around Raleigh and was doing HVAC work during the days of $5.00 scrap copper. The thieves made us a lot of money stealing those AC units,,,btw you lucked out with that cable but if you want to make more at the scrap yard get your boy to brighten it up with sand paper
Looks like I'm stuck doing that myself, he's in West Virginia

Yeah, I was working security for Cisco systems at that time. We were catching people 2-3 times a week when CBRE was doing some work there. Several were CBRE employees. When they left the job site, and the copper trailer was unlocked, we knew exactly what the hell was up, and we'd sit nearby with the walkie handy to call dispatch and send the cops as soon as the first copper tube hit the bed of their pickup truck.

I'd rather spend the rest of my life cuffed to a cold blooded murderer, rather than a thief. At least you know where the murderer stands.
People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #25718
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Congrats on the copper! I wouldn't be surprised if the scrap yard guy looks at you sideways when you take it in or asks for your ID.

Technically, a murderer steals lives.
People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #25719

Oh, and the nice people at the reloading supply shop let me in on a little secret. I know where the hell all the effing ammo is going. Seems a pawn shop in town is buying it all from Wal-Mart, then reselling it at their shop at a HUGE mark up.
People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #25720
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 158

In CT, thieves have stolen copper plaques from graves, Veteran memorials, etc. it's really gotten out of hand.

Of course, I invest in mining company that specializes in precious metals and it promptly loses $20 a share. only good thing is the dividend.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 06-07-2013 at 12:21 AM.