Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2555
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #25541
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 7,426
Liked 4573 Times on 2544 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Not sure you quite understand the "curve". Many moons ago, teachers were taught the philosophy that they must not let the students feel they are failing. So, they came up with a brilliant idea. If they give a test and the highest score is 75%, scale everyone's score up by 100/75 so the high score is always 100%. That way more students get A's and B's and fewer students fail. The students, being generally at least as smart as the teachers (at least in their own minds), realized very quickly that they didn't have to do study or do well on the tests as long as no one else did either.

But when some one goes around getting 100% on tests, they "ruin the curve" for everyone else. And that someone is usually disliked or feared for that reason.

You keep on getting 100% and 95% on your tests! Kick their butts back to the Stone Age! When they realize you're not going to go away, they'll probably start trying to get you to help them study!
Yeah I understood. I'm saying I've gotten 95% on a couple of tests, if that's the highest score in class it could only help me not hurt me, I had teachers who graded on a curve and I've had people mad at me before for getting 100, hell these guys get mad at me. I've always been good at taking tests. I actually had a teacher here tell me he was surprised I did well in shop and on the written tests, apparently that's not common...

Actually a couple of them already have asked for help.
__________________
3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #25542
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KJG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,428
Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Saw this on the interwebs. Seems that General Mills has disabled the comments on this commercial because of all of the haters out there hating on inter-racial families. They are keeping the commercial going though. I'm not one to eat cereal but some Cheerios sounds good right now.

http://www.upworthy.com/they-are-hating-on-this-little-girls-family-its-time-to-get-mad-internet?c=ufb1
You've got to be freking kidding me?? People are freaking out about this? What gutter are they living in?
__________________
.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World
KJG67 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #25543
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pagj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prescott Valley,Arizona
Posts: 2,433
Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post

You've got to be freking kidding me?? People are freaking out about this? What gutter are they living in?
Apparently some sewer. Freaking bs.
__________________
------------Space Not for Hire.-----------
pagj17 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #25544
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,597
Liked 3362 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Yeah I understood. I'm saying I've gotten 95% on a couple of tests, if that's the highest score in class it could only help me not hurt me, I had teachers who graded on a curve and I've had people mad at me before for getting 100, hell these guys get mad at me. I've always been good at taking tests. I actually had a teacher here tell me he was surprised I did well in shop and on the written tests, apparently that's not common...

Actually a couple of them already have asked for help.
Ah, I see. Your "only" 95% scores would become 100%. Yeah, it would help a little. But I still say let 'em get mad. The point is your un-curved scores show you actually know your stuff.

But, you do know we're all expecting you to get 100% on the final for this phase... none of that 95% slacker crap...
__________________
Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Balota is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #25545
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,599
Liked 8940 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 11947

Default

When I get home I have many photos to share. I hope I don't bore you all but I, personally, love to see other people's photos. Even if they are family photos of people I don't know. Many people find that odd. I could look at family photos of people I don't know for quite a long time.

But I have pictures of Jamaica and pictures of visiting Canebrake.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #25546
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,353
Liked 3015 Times on 1959 Posts

Default

Might be getting a new phone today, which is how I get on the forum. Who knows how smooth this will end up being.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #25547
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Diversity Perversity Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Saw this on the interwebs. Seems that General Mills has disabled the comments on this commercial because of all of the haters out there hating on inter-racial families. They are keeping the commercial going though. I'm not one to eat cereal but some Cheerios sounds good right now.

http://www.upworthy.com/they-are-hating-on-this-little-girls-family-its-time-to-get-mad-internet?c=ufb1
Sorry, I've had about enough "diversity" and "political correctness" shoved down my throat than to literally pay for it myself in a buycott.

How many African-American nuclear families are there in the US? How many inter-racial ones*!? And you want me to get angry and jump to the defense of a company utilizing a mixed-marriage family in an ad because others object? Aren't they as entitled to voice their opinions as the in-your-face, "it's all good," hipster, ad agency felt we needed to be subjected to theirs?

*And when you go to research this they now distinguish between "opposite-sex married couples" and others. Seriously? Isn't that just lovely!
HockaLouis is offline  
MattShlock Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #25548
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Sorry, I've had about enough "diversity" and "political correctness" shoved down my throat than to literally pay for it myself in a buycott.

How many African-American nuclear families are there in the US? How many inter-racial ones*!? And you want me to get angry and jump to the defense of a company utilizing a mixed-marriage family in an ad because others object? Aren't they as entitled to voice their opinions as the in-your-face, "it's all good," hipster, ad agency felt we needed to be subjected to theirs?

*And when you go to research this they now distinguish between "opposite-sex married couples" and others. Seriously? Isn't that just lovely!
WTF? They are selling breakfast cereal. The inter-racial family such as the one depicted are probably more common these days than "pure race" families are and they used a real-world example (albeit using unrelated actors no doubt)! Its not "political correctness" or "diversity" for God's sake! It's REALITY!!

Speaking for myself, I am German, Danish and Norwegian. With my kids you can add Italian, English, Irish, Dutch, more German and undoubtedly a few others we don't know about. My brother is also German, Danish and Norwegian, but to his children you can add Hawaiian and Chinese.

Inter-racial families strengthen the Human race. You can't drown in the Gene pool pal, the deeper it is the stronger it makes our children. It is the people from the shallow end (might that be you, Hock??? Hmmm?) that weaken the Human Race.

Quote:
And you want me to get angry and jump to the defense of a company utilizing a mixed-marriage family in an ad because others object?
No Hock, I don't want you to get angry and jump the their "defense" (as if they need you on their side!). How about this?

Hock! Outta the Gene pool!
Vikingdad is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #25549
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
WTF? They are selling breakfast cereal. The inter-racial family such as the one depicted are probably more common these days than "pure race" families are and they used a real-world example (albeit using unrelated actors no doubt)! Its not "political correctness" or "diversity" for God's sake! It's REALITY!!

Speaking for myself, I am German, Danish and Norwegian. With my kids you can add Italian, English, Irish, Dutch, more German and undoubtedly a few others we don't know about. My brother is also German, Danish and Norwegian, but to his children you can add Hawaiian and Chinese.

Inter-racial families strengthen the Human race. You can't drown in the Gene pool pal, the deeper it is the stronger it makes our children. It is the people from the shallow end (might that be you, Hock??? Hmmm?) that weaken the Human Race.



No Hock, I don't want you to get angry and jump the their "defense" (as if they need you on their side!). How about this?

Hock! Outta the Gene pool!
Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House
texaswoodworker is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #25550
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Angry_bald_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perryville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,704
Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Sorry, I've had about enough "diversity" and "political correctness" shoved down my throat than to literally pay for it myself in a buycott.

How many African-American nuclear families are there in the US? How many inter-racial ones*!? And you want me to get angry and jump to the defense of a company utilizing a mixed-marriage family in an ad because others object? Aren't they as entitled to voice their opinions as the in-your-face, "it's all good," hipster, ad agency felt we needed to be subjected to theirs?

*And when you go to research this they now distinguish between "opposite-sex married couples" and others. Seriously? Isn't that just lovely!
We are all products of our own gene pools and apparently someone peed in yours... -Walter Bishop from Fringe
__________________
Darrel

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.
Angry_bald_guy is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 72 06-01-2014 05:33 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 10:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 04:47 PM



Newest Threads