Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2539
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #25381
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 721 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Well, what do you do and what area do you live in? Got lots of people on this forum. Networking is one of the best ways to get foot in the door.
The only thing Im really trained in is Sawsmithing, but thats all but dead here in Tucson...
Im about willing to do anything though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
He's a dirty Hippie. Not much market for that in AZ. Best move to Cali and start up a pot farm.
Hey... Theres that property right next to you isnt their??

I cant go to Cali though.... I dont think they would appreciate my "Weapons of War"

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
This was a terrible post!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
This was totally uncalled for - - - if he is a personal friend and you are doing this as a joke you need to say it to his face, not in a public forum - - - if not and I was an administrator you would be banned for life! I feel now it is good for both of us we are separated by many miles!.
Its alright, I know he was just messin' with me...
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #25382

Liked 1060 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Eh , give viking a bit of a break , we need at least one person on here that can rub the wrong way . After all he is one of them californicators

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #25383
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The only thing Im really trained in is Sawsmithing, but thats all but dead here in Tucson...
Damn. That is specialized. Do your skills/knowledge transfer over to tool and die??? How bad is the two hour drive to Phoenix?

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #25384

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Damn. That is specialized. Do your skills/knowledge transfer over to tool and die??? How bad is the two hour drive to Phoenix?
Some of it... Most of what I did at the saw shop was by hand, so I dont have much experience with machines, the CNC's we had were only used to "top" the carbide blades.

I actually live a little south west of Tucson, Im about a hour out.. So, it would be like a 3 hour drive..

I am going to go apply at a junkyard today, so wish me luck!
I figure its pretty much what Ive been doing to survive for the past 3 years, Now Ill just get a steady paycheck for it....

Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #25385
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

Its alright, I know he was just messin' with me...

Quote:
...I am going to go apply at a junkyard today, so wish me luck!
I figure its pretty much what Ive been doing to survive for the past 3 years, Now Ill just get a steady paycheck for it....
#1 OK, not to be a dick, but why did you want to be a sawsmith in a state with so few trees? I mean I thought I was gonna get kidney failure waiting for a tree to pee on driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon; finally found one and a really large deer didn't seem to like me watering it. In Mississippi, I could understand wanting to be a sawsmith; there are pine trees everywhere.

#2 In text it is sometimes difficult to feel the funny; I am glad you did. I did.

#3 If you take that Scout to a junkyard, you better be sure they can see it is tagged and not INVENTORY.

Good Luck!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #25386

Liked 2407 Times on 1561 Posts

I know someone out there that uses old barn siding and beams, along with other salvage wood, to create furniture. This is some really nice stuff, even though it doesn't sound like it. I think this place is around flagstaff, where there is plenty if trees. I can find more info if you want.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #25387

Liked 1060 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 543

fried macaroni bites ......... what else will they come up with ? they are pure bliss .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #25388
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I know someone out there that uses old barn siding and beams, along with other salvage wood, to create furniture. This is some really nice stuff, even though it doesn't sound like it. I think this place is around flagstaff, where there is plenty if trees. I can find more info if you want.
I went through Flagstaff; "plenty" is a relative term.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #25389

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
#1 OK, not to be a dick, but why did you want to be a sawsmith in a state with so few trees? I mean I thought I was gonna get kidney failure waiting for a tree to pee on driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon; finally found one and a really large deer didn't seem to like me watering it. In Mississippi, I could understand wanting to be a sawsmith; there are pine trees everywhere.

#2 In text it is sometimes difficult to feel the funny; I am glad you did. I did.

#3 If you take that Scout to a junkyard, you better be sure they can see it is tagged and not INVENTORY.

Good Luck!
1. Other than chainsaws, most of what we did was circular blades. Before the economy when down the drain, there were quite a few big companys that had plants here. We sharpened/repaired blades for companys like Pella windows & Doors, a few companys that did custom cabnets, Pool tables, even got stuff from other countrys. I did some blades for a German co and constantly had blades from a piston company in Mexico (Man, did they tear blades up!)

2. So... Wanta start a farm 'Gello?

3. IH's are getting to old for junkyards... Im actually surprised at how few old cars junkyards have anymore...

2a.. Just realized it would probably be a crime to drive my Scout in Cali... The EPA would have a fit.. Emissions? We dont need no stinkin' Emissions....

Old 05-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #25390
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8185 Times on 4725 Posts
Likes Given: 10547

Here in Cali, "dirty hippie" is not an insult. Its a description. I thought (apparently correctly) that Trez would take it as it was intended- props to Trez and sorry the rest of you missed the funny. I take some flak here and elsewhere simply for being from California. It has taken quite some effort to be seen as someone other than a dirty liberal hippie (not a term of endearment in the context it was being used in) from California. I think a few around here understand that. Trez being one of you (I think). As to growing pot in California, I would be doing it myself if it weren't a Federal crime. I don't use the stuff, but there is really good money in it. I know many,many people who do grow it and they make more money from the pot then they do from their regular jobs. One guy makes well over six figures. I could do the same what with my experience in growing stuff. Pot would be easier than many crops. The most difficult part about it is security and I think I could handle that.

Trez, The property right next door was foreclosed on a few months ago. The main house is a wreck because it was being used as a drying house for their pot growing operation (there is a small cabin that could easily be made liveable). The 5,000 square foot warehouse was the grow house. They were pulling in $20K every two weeks and they don't have a clue as to how to maximize the operation. Biggest challenge there? The bank wants too much money. Last I heard they were asking $875K.

Saw a Scout at the wrecker last weekend. They still accept them. Saw an old Jeep Wagoneer too- I think it was a '72. You can drive anything that is 1974 or older without fear of being arrested. No smog checks are required on them. You can modify the Hell out of them with impunity. Anything newer and it is a problem.

Lots of opportunity for sawyers and the like around here. Also lots of opportunity for sawsmiths.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
DFlynt Likes This