Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2488
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #24871
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocshaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KanOkla
Posts: 3,279
Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've always looked older than I am. People have been assuming I'm mid forties ever since I turned 20.

beard and beer belly, scars and tattoos. Besides that, I just have a "well worn" look. I'm like a late model car with high mileage.

Good God, then I must look like Methuselah...
__________________
rocshaman is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #24872
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,429
Liked 8708 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
no, a previous back injury disallowed me. then tried the Army. they said no dice too. as did the Navy and the Air Force and the Coast Guard. truly sucked.
Same boat I was in. Deaf in one ear since I was 3 and a serious back injury at 7 did me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force. Checked the requirements, and you have to have 20/20 vision. Ok, can't do that.

So I look into the Army and the Marine requirements for being on a tank crew. 20/20 vision again. WTF? Its a freaking tank!
I had good eyesight though! Thing is in those tanks it gets hot, humid and it is cramped. Glasses get fogged up, lost and broken. Don't want any tankers running blind!

Quote:
I don't know about getting smaller, but they are definitely getting dumber.
My favorite saying about high school girls is "The older I get, the younger they are!"

I would not have made it through high school if the girls back then had dressed like they do today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
So my son, Ruger, is 7 months old. Took him out on the town today. Some lady commented on his cuteness ( he gets it from mom) and asked his name. I told her and she said " thats an interesting name, is it a family name". I would have stuck with "yes" but my wife chimed in and gave her the 'skinny'.

The lady mumbled something under her breath a damn near ran out of the store. My wife just looked at me, proud as hell, and laughed.
Your wife has brass ones. Would that be ovaries?

You have a wife to be proud of, and the same for your son's name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
When I was about 15-16, I could go without shaving for a while, and look like I was in my 20s. That was really handy when I needed to buy paint or polyurethane from home depot. (Yes, if you looked young, they would freaking card you. Apparently, too many idiots like huffing wood finishes, so they won't see them to minors).
When I was in high school we could buy paint but we had to shoulder-tap for beer. I have been shoulder-tapped for paint before. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
IIRC, they allow that if your vision can be corrected to 20/20. Mine is not exactly 20/20 though (even with glasses). Plus, I don't have much depth perception at all. That would probably disqualify me too, even know I have adapted well enough that it really doesn't matter.
I am stone deaf in one ear (result of mumps when I was 3 years old). My parents didn't know until I was 8 and I thought it was normal. I still remember when they found out. Dad and I were in the car at Branham Lane and Camden avenue and I blurted out "Hey dad, isn't it wierd how people have two ears but they can only hear out of one?". Since then I have lost some of my hearing in my good ear and developed severe tinnitus.

I have adapted well to it, most people have no idea I have a hearing deficiency (I also use lip reading to help me hear- so I have to be able to see a person's mouth in order to be able to understand them well). I can't locate where sounds are coming from very well at all. I have to turn my head and sort of zero in on it with some effort.

All that having been said, I would not want to have anyone depending on me and my bad hearing in a combat situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've always looked older than I am. People have been assuming I'm mid forties ever since I turned 20.

beard and beer belly, scars and tattoos. Besides that, I just have a "well worn" look. I'm like a late model car with high mileage.
Me too. I've been in the sun for much of my life. That and drinking probably has something to do with it. I work with a guy who is 10 years older than me and he constantly thinks I am the older one (though he is a bit simple-minded). I think I am more rode hard and put away wet. But on the positive side I am well on my way to my goal of leaving a worn out corpse.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 05-07-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #24873
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

I am stone deaf in one ear (result of mumps when I was 3 years old). My parents didn't know until I was 8 and I thought it was normal. I still remember when they found out. Dad and I were in the car at Branham Lane and Camden avenue and I blurted out "Hey dad, isn't it wierd how people have two ears but they can only hear out of one?". Since then I have lost some of my hearing in my good ear and developed severe tinnitus.

I have adapted well to it, most people have no idea I have a hearing deficiency (I also use lip reading to help me hear- so I have to be able to see a person's mouth in order to be able to understand them well). I can't locate where sounds are coming from very well at all. I have to turn my head and sort of zero in on it with some effort.

I'm having that problem right now. The tinnitus isn't severe, and serves as a warning to an oncoming migraine. Excellent, at least I can try to ward it off, but I'm in the middle of a three day migraine right now.

One eardrum busted three times, the other one, four. The last one happened this past summer, some of you may remember me mentioning it.

I was on the phone with Cinder the other night (as I usually am, lucky bastard me), and switched sides because we'd been on for a while and me left elbow was hurting. I discovered I can't hear **** on my right side, the one I busted over the summer.

I also use lip reading to help me understand people, but it's not an absolute necessity yet. Which is good, because I suck at it..Cinder can tell you how often I have to say "huh" when we're talking. I'm sure it will be soon though.

Oh, the last time a doctor looked in there, he said, "wow. That's impressive. I've never seen that much scar tissue on an eardrum. Looks like it's been through a warzone."

"Well doc...it has. Popped both twice while over there, and each one separately as a kid, then this last time over the summer."
__________________

Last edited by trip286; 05-07-2013 at 05:50 AM.
trip286 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #24874
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,429
Liked 8708 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm having that problem right now. The tinnitus isn't severe, and serves as a warning to an oncoming migraine. Excellent, at least I can try to ward it off, but I'm in the middle of a three day migraine right now.

One eardrum busted three times, the other one, four. The last one happened this past summer, some of you may remember me mentioning it.

I was on the phone with Cinder the other night (as I usually am, lucky bastard me), and switched sides because we'd been on for a while and me left elbow was hurting. I discovered I can't hear **** on my right side, the one I busted over the summer.

I also use lip reading to help me understand people, but it's not an absolute necessity yet. Which is good, because I suck at it..Cinder can tell you how often I have to say "huh" when we're talking. I'm sure it will be soon though.

Oh, the last time a doctor looked in there, he said, "wow. That's impressive. I've never seen that much scar tissue on an eardrum. Looks like it's been through a warzone."

"Well doc...it has. Popped both twice while over there, and each one separately as a kid, then this last time over the summer."
It drives me absolutely fukking BONKERS when I have to ask or remind my family:

a) Stand in front of me so I can see their faces when they are talking to me.

b) Repeat themselves because they are talking too softly and as a result their lip movements are too subtle for me to read and I can't fugging hear them either.

c) Tell them not to mumble and turn away while they are talking to me.

d) Walk on my left so they are on my "good" side (some would argue that I do not have a "good" side, but I digress.)

e) Turn down the damned TV if there is a conversation that I am supposed to be participating in because I can't hear squat with any background noise.

f) Sometimes I can hear things that they think I "shouldn't". I can't explain it, that's just the way it is.

g) I may be hard of hearing, but noise bothers the hell out of me. Its like when you get a blister or sunburn. It hurts just sitting there, but if you touch it it hurts even more! It can be loud noise, soft noise, white noise or repetitive noises. It exacerbates the problems I already have to deal with every day.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #24875
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,718
Liked 7653 Times on 4599 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Default

My daughter has hearing aids and she needs to see the face of the person she's talking to, also. And I have to remember to speak up when I'm with her. Fortunately, I do tend to be a "loud talker".

__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #24876
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,429
Liked 8708 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Fortunately, I do tend to be a "loud talker".
I can't imagine that!
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #24877
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,718
Liked 7653 Times on 4599 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I can't imagine that!
.................
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #24878
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Just got a phone call from a former coworker at the dealership. This is all rumor and hearsay as far as I know, but she was telling me that everything had gone downhill, most of the staff had turned over, and the internet sales manager, receptionist, sales manager, and general manager were all busted for drugs.

apparently, the Internets sales guy, who was shagging the receptionist, was also selling a smorgasbord of drugs. He got into a fight with the GM. The GM is about 6'4"ish and 350 easy. The ISM is 5'11"ish, and 140 soaking wet. I'm sure we can all figure out how that went.

The Sales Manager, who, rumor has it, was also shagging the receptionist, ALLEGEDLY intentionally OD'd the GM, who is now dead as hell. I say allegedly, because the investigation is ongoing.

The ISM is still recovering from his beating that happened right on the showroom floor.

The receptionist is knocked up, and ain't too sure who the daddy is. She's 18. It also came out that she was shagging the GM too.

The lady I was talking to told me that there is also rumor the baby could be the dealer's, but that she honestly thinks it's only a rumor.

Glad I'm away from that place.

Oh, I didn't mention, the way they're all tied together is that the ISM was supposedly supplying drugs to all of them, and the receptionist's sexual habits.

__________________

Last edited by trip286; 05-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.
trip286 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #24879
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just got a phone call from a former coworker at the dealership. This is all rumor and hearsay as far as I know, but she was telling me that everything had gone downhill, most of the staff had turned over, and the internet sales manager, receptionist, sales manager, and general manager were all busted for drugs.

apparently, the Internets sales guy, who was shagging the receptionist, was also selling a smorgasbord of drugs. He got into a fight with the GM. The GM is about 6'4"ish and 350 easy. The ISM is 5'11"ish, and 140 soaking wet. I'm sure we can all figure out how that went.

The Sales Manager, who, rumor has it, was also shagging the receptionist, ALLEGEDLY intentionally OD'd the GM, who is now dead as hell. I say allegedly, because the investigation is ongoing.

The ISM is still recovering from his beating that happened right on the showroom floor.

The receptionist is knocked up, and ain't too sure who the daddy is. She's 18. It also came out that she was shagging the GM too.

The lady I was talking to told me that there is also rumor the baby could be the dealer's, but that she honestly thinks it's only a rumor.

Glad I'm away from that place.
Ok, so they had a drug dealer, a murderer and a slut all working in the same place. Yep, could have saw that S hitting the fan a mile away. Looks like you dodged a bullet.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #24880
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Ok, so they had a drug dealer, a murderer and a slut all working in the same place. Yep, could have saw that S hitting the fan a mile away. Looks like you dodged a bullet.
Well.... I don't generally get involved in murdering, drugs, and sluts, but it would have made for a pretty "less than ideal" workplace, no doubt.

And, you forgot the Hulk. Giant rage monster, hopped up on 'roids. That one I do know for a fact. He told me.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 72 06-01-2014 06:33 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 11:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 05:47 PM