Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2483
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #24821
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
UGGG. I'm so freakin stressed. We need a stressed out emoticon
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Winds will provide you one soon.

or maybe........

Quote:
Of course, calculus was NOT my strong side. Probably why I failed that class a few times.
Quote:
Yeah I had to endure that class as well. It went great for about the first 3 weeks. Thats about the point where it went over my head.
So, it wasn't only me? Calculus? Yeah, it went bad for me after about 3 weeks, too, which is when I dropped the class because I failed the first test that was supposed to be "review". Well, I was in my late 30's, not right out of high school like the Prof thought we all were. Imaginary numbers? I, i, etc.? I just didn't get it. Why do I have to do any calculating with an imaginary number? I thought imaginary things weren't real, like imaginary friends, unicorns, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
If you understand the equation, you understand the concept. At least that's how it works with me.
That's the thing, we all learn differently. I'm a "hands on" sort of learner. If I just read it in a book, I can't make sense out of it. I have to see it and do it.
People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #24822
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 543 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I like the second one winds. I can't figure out the first. Is he crying, sweating, or have a horrible gas problem going on behind him?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #24823
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh and imaginary everything is what got me. Physics was super simple to me, even the electrical and magnetic stuff because I could "see and visualize" what we were learning.

There is no visualizing differential equations and crap like that. Plus not to pass blame, but my first teacher had no idea what he was doing (me, I tried teaching myself over summer to test out) and my second teacher had a heavy russian accent, smelled horribly of cigarettes, and slurred like he downed a bottle of vodka before each class.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #24824

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Winds, unicorns are real, mmkay?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #24825
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8314 Times on 4806 Posts
Likes Given: 10778

Quote:
my second teacher had a heavy russian accent, smelled horribly of cigarettes, and slurred like he downed a bottle of vodka before each class.
Hey, don't knock it 'till you've tried it! That is the only way some people can teach!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #24826
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe that is how he liked to teach but it would be helpful if I could understand your bumbling words without having to be drunk myself. That and he would work out long equations on the chalkboard while standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT. So by the time he moved you had 5 minutes worth of notes to catch up on.

My third calculus teacher (this time I finally passed, third time is the charm) was Indian and spoke with a heavy accent. If you want to be an engineer, you have to be able to understand accents.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #24827
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well I think its nighttime guys. It seems the forum really slows down when the member count drops below 100, and well so do I.

Goin to bed cause gotta get up tomorrow for a 0800 final.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #24828
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8314 Times on 4806 Posts
Likes Given: 10778

Quote:
Well I think its nighttime guys. It seems the forum really slows down when the member count drops below 100, and well so do I.

Goin to bed cause gotta get up tomorrow for a 0800 final.
Yup. I have to get on to bed too. G'night JohnBoy!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #24829
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yup. I have to get on to bed too. G'night JohnBoy!

Goodnight Maryellen!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #24830
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Quote:
I like the second one winds. I can't figure out the first. Is he crying, sweating, or have a horrible gas problem going on behind him?
No, that would be this.....

Quote:
Oh and imaginary everything is what got me. Physics was super simple to me, even the electrical and magnetic stuff because I could "see and visualize" what we were learning.

There is no visualizing differential equations and crap like that. Plus not to pass blame, but my first teacher had no idea what he was doing (me, I tried teaching myself over summer to test out) and my second teacher had a heavy russian accent, smelled horribly of cigarettes, and slurred like he downed a bottle of vodka before each class.
I was ruined to math early by the "New Math" bs in the late 60's, I believe. I never got a good math foundation and it just went on from there. They later decided "New Math" was not good. By then, it was too late for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Winds, unicorns are real, mmkay?
Well, they won't be for long the way C3 keeps barbecuing them every weekend in The Bunker.