Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2482
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #24811
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,937
Liked 1936 Times on 1179 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post

I intend to only have one...
Good plan!
__________________

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Balota is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #24812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Good plan!
Yeah, I like that plan too!! This is definitely a lady worth spending the rest of one's life with, I can assure you!!
__________________
trip286 is offline  
bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #24813
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,153
Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
You want a headache? Try to understand this.

The theory of relativity says that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down. Note: You cannot reach the speed of light. (c=speed of light=299,792.458 km/s)

Ok, so say you wanted to take a trip from Earth, to the star Vega. This distance is 25 light years. Pretty big distance right? Wrong. Believe it or not, it would not take 25 years to get there if you are traveling close to the speed of light. This is because time slows down as you approach the speed of light.

If your were traveling at a velocity of .999c (99.9% of the speed of light), the distance between the Earth and Vega would actually contract to about 1 light year. The time it takes to travel this distance at that speed would be about 2 years.

What's really interesting about this? While you are traveling that distance, at that speed, what seems like only 2 years to you, would be 50 years to someone on Earth.

As said before, the closer you get to the speed of light, to slower time gets for you.

What does all this mean? It means that theoretically, it is possible to travel to other solar systems within only a few years.

It also means that time travel is actually possible in the forward direction. To make it to Vega and back would only take you 4 years, but the Earth would age 100 years.

Now then, if it were possible to reach 99.9% of the speed of light now, we could send someone to the year 3013, and it would only take them 40 years to get there. That's 1000 years, and it would only take 40 years to get there.

Pretty interesting.

Now I have to go take a test over some of this. (not the time travel, just the theory of relativity)
This is when you just push the "I Believe!" button. Push it, and let it go.
__________________

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

fa35jsf is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #24814
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
This is when you just push the "I Believe!" button. Push it, and let it go.
Yeah, the actual science behind why it's that way is extremely complex. I'm glad I didn't have to learn that, just the general theory.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #24815
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,153
Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Yeah I know what you mean. I have actually learned some of that. Not fun. Like I said, press the I Believe button and just reiterate what you "learned".

I will tell you something else that was difficult for me to learn in college, Radars associated with Naval weapon systems. Hell, learning and understanding EXACTLY how a nuclear bomb works is easier than some of that radar crap.

Of course, calculus was NOT my strong side. Probably why I failed that class a few times.

__________________

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

fa35jsf is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #24816
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 6,083
Liked 3272 Times on 1814 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I have actually learned some of that. Not fun. Like I said, press the I Believe button and just reiterate what you "learned".

I will tell you something else that was difficult for me to learn in college, Radars associated with Naval weapon systems. Hell, learning and understanding EXACTLY how a nuclear bomb works is easier than some of that radar crap.

Of course, calculus was NOT my strong side. Probably why I failed that class a few times.
I went to college once, I quit when I found out I had to learn programming. I'll stick to hitting things with hammers, that's just about my speed.
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is online now  
bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #24817
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,153
Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I went to college once, I quit when I found out I had to learn programming. I'll stick to hitting things with hammers, that's just about my speed.
Yeah I had to endure that class as well. It went great for about the first 3 weeks. Thats about the point where it went over my head.
__________________

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #24818
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,973
Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Default

In college I found it was easier to learn the concepts than it was to just learn different formulas and theories by rote and regurgitate that on a test. I didn't get good grades on my tests, but I understood the material I was supposed to be getting taught.

Most teachers and many college professors don't freaking understand that the idea is to learn the critical thinking skills needed in order to solve problems rather than to memorize various formulas and theories in order to pass a test.

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
fa35jsf Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #24819
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
In college I found it was easier to learn the concepts than it was to just learn different formulas and theories by rote and regurgitate that on a test. I didn't get good grades on my tests, but I understood the material I was supposed to be getting taught.

Most teachers and many college professors don't freaking understand that the idea is to learn the critical thinking skills needed in order to solve problems rather than to memorize various formulas and theories in order to pass a test.
Depends on what your studying. In physics, most concepts are easily covered by an equation or two. If you understand the equation, you understand the concept. At least that's how it works with me.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #24820
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,973
Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Depends on what your studying. In physics, most concepts are easily covered by an equation or two. If you understand the equation, you understand the concept. At least that's how it works with me.
Yes, but if you understand physics you not only understand the concept, but you can explain it and apply it to a specific given situation.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 72 06-01-2014 05:33 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 10:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 04:47 PM