Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2449
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #24481
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll probably pay for sharing this, but I'm going to anyway!! Cinder has the highest scores in her class so far!! I'm sure that will remain unchanged, because she's pretty much the best and the brightest. Don't try to argue that point, you'll lose.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #24482
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'll probably pay for sharing this, but I'm going to anyway!! Cinder has the highest scores in her class so far!! I'm sure that will remain unchanged, because she's pretty much the best and the brightest. Don't try to argue that point, you'll lose.
Good for Her! Congratulations Cinder!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #24483

Liked 1226 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 622

HOLY **** BATMAN !
sitting here working and one of my firearms dropped the hammer , thank God none of them were loaded , that would have been some chit ! Guns have been sitting here un touched for mmonths and POW !
dunno if it was the AK or one of the scatter guns

I have cold blued entire guns , not easy and you have to be careful not to disturb the grain in the metal or it wont look right . I have some junkers that rusted out and when I sanded buffed or polished it out and blued it , it turned out funky .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #24484
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
HOLY **** BATMAN !
sitting here working and one of my firearms dropped the hammer , thank God none of them were loaded , that would have been some chit ! Guns have been sitting here un touched for mmonths and POW !
dunno if it was the AK or one of the scatter guns

I have cold blued entire guns , not easy and you have to be careful not to disturb the grain in the metal or it wont look right . I have some junkers that rusted out and when I sanded buffed or polished it out and blued it , it turned out funky .
Sounds like you have a problem with one of your guns then, might want to get that fixed.

That may explain why my shotgun turned greenish ble. It was covered in thick rust, and I had to sand and polish it a LOT.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #24485

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Sounds like you have a problem with one of your guns then, might want to get that fixed.

That may explain why my shotgun turned greenish ble. It was covered in thick rust, and I had to sand and polish it a LOT.
Remember where I mentioned that alcohol seems to make it rust in milliseconds? That's how it looked when I threw blue on top of very fine rust (I restripped and started over).

I would suspect there's probably some red rust mixed in there somewhere.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #24486
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Trip, a suggestion for you on blueing, even cold blueing. if you will heat the parts up some they sometime will take the blueing more evenly.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #24487
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Remember where I mentioned that alcohol seems to make it rust in milliseconds? That's how it looked when I threw blue on top of very fine rust (I restripped and started over).

I would suspect there's probably some red rust mixed in there somewhere.
Thats definetly possible. It took days to sand all the rust off that thing. I would have been easy to miss some.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #24488

Liked 1226 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Well on some guns like rugers , no blue that i know of will match the factory finish so even spotting a small section it wont match .
I redid a old iver owl head top break and had it shiny and bare , when the blu ehit it it looked like I blued over top of chrome .
I tried heating a barrel once before blue and it turned out terrible , may have been too hot .
I have found a thick cotton swab or micro cloth with LOTS n LOTS of paste works best .

I did a k frame S&W and turned out very very nice , A ruger security 6 barrel that turned out great but not matching the finish on the frame .
My iver 12ga turned out ok but the finish is kinda light and will not , no way no how get anydarker for some reason .
My rem 22 did ok the 1st time but I did not lube it and rusted very very quick and had to redo it .
Just make sure that when your done and happy you oil the piss out of it , maybe even get it warm then lube it so the oil will seep into the steel .
I use a oil called Fogging oil , we use it to winterize marine '' ENGINES''
see I said engine ...... but it has a paraffin wax in it , very thin , it does not spray on purrty at all but its best to get it on a micro towel then put it on , even if the oil magically goes away the wax barrier is still there .
Also use some stuff called 6-56 , like wd-40;s grandaddy but we use it only about once a year to water proof and corrosion proof on marine '' ENGINES'' and all electrical and metal parts , will not wash off in water , extremely thin and has a decent film strength .
6-56 and fogging oil can be bought at most parts stores over in the small engine section .
A lil bit of 656 goes a long damn ways

If your doing a barrel get a drill and a dow rod '' depending on size and length '' and use the drill to spin the barrel while you use the steel wool or sand paper , makes for a much better and even job , just dont get too happy with it . It works well with pistol barrels but long guns can be a bit harder to do

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Last edited by MobileMarine; 04-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #24489
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3760 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Although it isn't something I would have told EVERYONE, when have I ever gotten mad at you over something so silly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Good for Her! Congratulations Cinder!
Thank you.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

rocshaman Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #24490

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well good for you ma'am.

The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.