Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #24271
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19787 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
There was probably some other chemical in there to help out. Plenty of strange combinations out there. Sometimes "Better living through chemistry" isn't so much better ...
ahhh, better living through chemistry! keeps us old folks going!
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #24272
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1669 Times on 1016 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The label on the can of linseed oil should look something like THIS:

Attachment 97046

All of that red print? It is about spontaneous combustion hazards. Oxygen reacts with the oil, generating heat. If the rags are balled up, heat is held in, gets greater and greater, until reaching ignition temps.

Translation: WHOOOOOFFF!
If you zoom in a little, you can see steel wool on the list. Probably due to Iron Oxide, which several of the aromatic hydrocarbons (like linseed oil) will react with.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #24273
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1669 Times on 1016 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
This reminds me of that one time I got floor cleaner on my face, I didn't actually look at the label until it started to burn... It had some stuff called sodium metasilicate in it, it also said something along the lines of "may cause skin irritation" what they mean by that is "WILL cause CHEMICAL BURN." Yeah, I'm usually pretty smart but some days...
From your photos, looks like you healed up real well. Not always the case with chemical burns. Silicates can have all kinds of bad effects. Hope you didn't inhale any of it.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #24274

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

A guy at work tonight was in a weld area with a can of brake clean and rags. I gave him a hard time about it then he left them on the weld table. All the time I hear him talk about making the jump to salary.

Feral cat waterboarder

Last edited by primer1; 04-20-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #24275
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2979 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
From your photos, looks like you healed up real well. Not always the case with chemical burns. Silicates can have all kinds of bad effects. Hope you didn't inhale any of it.
Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I cleaned it off right away and it wasn't very much. I wore a dust mask when I used it.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #24276
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19787 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49866

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
A guy at work tonight was in a weld area with a can of brake clean and rags. I gave him a hard time about it then he left them on the weld table. All the time I hear him talk about making the jump to salary.
problem is they usually promote the least intelligent people to management!

seen it more than once.
People Like This 
Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #24277
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2979 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't even thinking. I was in our garage and my dad had been prepping his car to put a coat of primer on it and thrown the towels in the garbage, it's a little garbage can not even knee high, sits right next to the work bench; I had to weld something really quick, set it on the work bench got to work, flipped my hood up a few seconds later and it was in fire. I searched frantically for a fire extinguisher for a few seconds then just picked up the garbage can carried it outside above filled it with water from the garden hose.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #24278

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

seen it more than once.

I've seen it too. They promote them so they don't hurt themselves or somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking. I was in our garage and my dad had been prepping his car to put a coat of primer on it and thrown the towels in the garbage, it's a little garbage can not even knee high, sits right next to the work bench; I had to weld something really quick, set it on the work bench got to work, flipped my hood up a few seconds later and it was in fire. I searched frantically for a fire extinguisher for a few seconds then just picked up the garbage can carried it outside above filled it with water from the garden hose.
Every welder has a fire extinguisher mounted on it at my employer. With the yahoos I work with, its money well spent.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #24279
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Re: Brake cleaner and welder- Many of the cleaner contain a material that, when combined with heat and UV light from the welding arc, will break down to form a gas known as Phosgene. Highly toxic, used as a military chemical warfare agent.

Problem is not fire- it is you collapsing.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #24280
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6740 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 8036

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

seen it more than once.
I see it quite often in the lab. If they can't keep up with the bench work and put out quality results, they move them up to paper pushers.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.
axxe55 Likes This