Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2401
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #24001
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3249 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Is this a long drive or a short drive, like with a golf club or car?
It's not too far away

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #24002
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3249 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I don't believe in Penzoil, your argument is invalid. I'm not saying you're wrong...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #24003
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I don't believe in Penzoil, your argument is invalid. I'm not saying you're wrong...

Valvoline uses both terms, and Mobile Super uses both terms on the same bottle. Not sure about the rest.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #24004

Liked 2453 Times on 1592 Posts

Motor medic for maximum ENGINE power. Jumbo shrimp.

Feral cat waterboarder

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #24005
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Mobilemarine- It is "suck, squeeze, bang blow". 4 cycles.

You like those M3s? Try out a 3rd generation Mazda RX-7 twin turbo for size. That''ll leave an M3 in the dust. That and they have a rotary engine. Ever had one of those apart?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #24006

Liked 1078 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 551

No but I alway wanted to tear into a rotary . I have always had a lil soft spot for early 90-late mid 90's bmws , Id love a m5 or a 95ish 7 series with low miles, older bmws were a pretty solid car , the electronics were kind chitty but no worse than a damn volvo .
I had about everything but the 1st gen nissan hardbody and the pathfinders WITH 5 spd manual and the 8 plug Z24 or the VG30 were effing bullet proof , keep your yotas , chevy ford dodge mazdas . Put me in a stock pathfinder and be prepared to be amazed . the new ones dont deserve to carry the sames badge as their elders . If your 4x4 has a button or knob to engage it or no real frame then keep it on the hard surface

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #24007
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
No but I alway wanted to tear into a rotary . I have always had a lil soft spot for early 90-late mid 90's bmws , Id love a m5 or a 95ish 7 series with low miles, older bmws were a pretty solid car , the electronics were kind chitty but no worse than a damn volvo .
I had about everything but the 1st gen nissan hardbody and the pathfinders WITH 5 spd manual and the 8 plug Z24 or the VG30 were effing bullet proof , keep your yotas , chevy ford dodge mazdas . Put me in a stock pathfinder and be prepared to be amazed . the new ones dont deserve to carry the sames badge as their eldes . If your 4x4 has a button or knob to engage it or no real frame then keep it on the hard surface
True dat.

I used to rebuild rotaries in one of my past jobs, and I am currently working in a Mazda shop again. We aren't doing rebuilds at this shop though. Pretty simple engines. Basically just three major moving parts. Two rotors and a crankshaft (called an eccentric shaft). Add to that the parts for the oil pump and that's all you have with the last generation which had a crank fired ignition (earlier ones have a distributor too). But no valves, camshaft, timing set. None of that stuff. Great engines, lots of horsepower in a very compact package, and since all of the motion is continuously in the same direction (as opposed to a reciprocating piston engine) you can get some high revs and butter smooth from a factory stock engine. Add that twin turbo and these things really scream.

Years ago when I was at the 24 Hours of Daytona, Mazda sent a factory car that had 4 rotors (that would be vaguely like a 16 cylinder piston engine). Damned thing sounded like a Lear jet going by at something like 20,000 RPMs- or at least it sounded that way. Scary powerful. I don't recall how competitive it was though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #24008

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Anyone know why they don't use rotary engines in outboards? Seems to me it would be an improvement.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #24009
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Nah, you gotta have bait to keep them moving, at least veggies and dip (not skoal). The pathetic state of many youngsters today would indicated to me that many of their mommies probably would lose interest and fail to keep the carousel moving after the first few minutes. Maybe free wifi & daytime TV would help, but the snacks seem key............................................... .................................................. .....I suppose contact shockers/cattle prods on the following bar would be inhumane, right (zap those cankles into motion, ZZZZAP)?
I think this could also be geared Dads, couldn't it?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #24010

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I had about everything but the 1st gen nissan hardbody and the pathfinders WITH 5 spd manual and the 8 plug Z24 or the VG30 were effing bullet proof , keep your yotas , chevy ford dodge mazdas . Put me in a stock pathfinder and be prepared to be amazed . the new ones dont deserve to carry the sames badge as their elders . If your 4x4 has a button or knob to engage it or no real frame then keep it on the hard surface
I bought a 1987 325e 2.7liter 6 in 2002 for 1500.00. I drove the snot out of that thing and recently sold it to my nephew with almost 400,000 miles on it. Those old bmws were some of the best cars ever built imho.

NEVER FORGET