Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2390
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #23891
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7094 Times on 4271 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Ipads are really cool, you ought to get you one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Asus makes a nice tablet, less expensive than an iPad, you can buy the tablet and a docking station with a keyboard for $600. They're less fragile than an iPad, they use gorilla glass. And it has an Android operating system which means you won't have to update it every week... I think Samsung makes a nice tablet as well. There are other less expensive, just as good tablets, I regret getting an iPad now that I know this.
I was just dreaming. I don't want to pay that much for anything like that. On the other hand, another young co-worker offered to sell me his HP laptop, 5 months old, for $100. He bought it, it doesn't do all he wants it to do, so he wants to sell it and get a different one. I think I'll take him up on that offer. But it has Windows 8 and my kids say I'll find it difficult to use. I'm not computer savvy and if it's unfamiliar to me, it might be difficult for me to use.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #23892
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I was just dreaming. I don't want to pay that much for anything like that. On the other hand, another young co-worker offered to sell me his HP laptop, 5 months old, for $100. He bought it, it doesn't do all he wants it to do, so he wants to sell it and get a different one. I think I'll take him up on that offer. But it has Windows 8 and my kids say I'll find it difficult to use. I'm not computer savvy and if it's unfamiliar to me, it might be difficult for me to use.
seems like i read somewhere that the older Window program could be installed in place of the Windows 8. might be worth checking into.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #23893
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Quote:
I would be careful of that. Several years ago I had a similar opportunity from a guy I trusted. Had another guy check it out and the damned thing had been stolen. The owner's personal information was all over the thing. I turned it over to the police and the guy who was trying to sell it to me insisted that I pay him for it and I told him to talk it over with the police.
So anyhow, if you are interested in it, have somebody who knows how to do these things look it over for you to make sure its not stolen and it is in good working order.

On Windows 8, I have been going round and round with Frys Electronics over this laptop. Got it in October 2011 with the extended warrantee and last October the hard drive failed, brought it in to have it fixed and got a loaner in the meantime (part of the extended warrantee), this laptop has been in the shop off and on since then so I have been using Windows 8 more often than not. It sucks big time. You can click on a window (I think they call them Apps) to go to a simulated desktop that is sorta like an older version of Windows, but it still has all of this crap that is difficult to navigate on a laptop.

From what I am told by the people who know these things Microsoft tried to make a OS that would work like it is on a tablet, Smartphone and/or a laptop, but the laptop part of the equation is not able to operate that way. You must have a touchscreen for it to really work, and even then it is not at all intuitive, especially to a guy like me who is more of a laptop user and doesn't have a smartphone at all.

Besides all of that, Windows 8 sucks. Big time. IMHO.

Oh, and I just got my machine back last night (after another month in the shop for all of the problems they installed when they replaced the hard drive under warrantee.) Effing thing is still effed up.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #23894

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Boss man tells me... a Marine Grunt... while I'm working on my day off...
"Spray this weed and grass killer everywhere you don't wanna have to weed eat, and everywhere Big Bubba shouldn't have to mow..."

*Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy*

Maybe he underestimated how much I like Big Bubba. He's a good guy. Damn hard worker. I look out for guys like this.

*by fire and maneuver*

Then he says, "mix this stuff in the sprayer, 1 ounce per gallon..."

*and repel the enemy's assault*

Screw that... I mixed it up 1:3, in GALLONS...

*by fire and close combat*

NAPALM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

Hope he doesn't mind brown grass... Everywhere....

...proper armament is the surest guarantee of peace
—Theodore Roosevelt
Two weeks later on google earth, West Monroe, La. looks like a brown paper bag. Big bubba is laid off due to lack of work. ;-)

NEVER FORGET

People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #23895
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I ended up getting Windows 8 on this computer (the store's Window 7 models were a few hundred more, or out of stock.)

Its ok. It's like windows 7 with several things added/replaced.

The desktop is exactly like windows 7, but the start menu is different. It's more like what an Ipad would be. Instead of list of programs, they are set up like Apps. It can be a PITA sometimes, but once you get used to it, it's ok.

I RARELY have to use the start menu. Most of my programs can be accessed from the desktop, or the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Overall, it takes a little getting use to, but once you do it's fine in my opinion. Though, the transition from windows 7 to 8 is probably much easier than one from something like vista to 8. (don't know what you've used)

If the computer is legit, (like Viking said), I'd take him up on the offer. What HP model is it? If you really don't like it, you could always have it made into windows 7, or you could have all personal info removed permanently, and sell it.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #23896

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Two weeks later on google earth, West Monroe, La. looks like a brown paper bag. Big bubba is laid off due to lack of work. ;-)
Awww... nawww...
Big Bubba is the type that don't get laid off for lack of work! He'll always find something to do.

His first day going solo after OJT, he filled all the potholes in our driveway. He ain't stopped since.

But the brown paper bag part.... hey. Just think of how much money I'm saving the city on gas and lawn equipment maintenance!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #23897
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Awww... nawww...
Big Bubba is the type that don't get laid off for lack of work! He'll always find something to do.

His first day going solo after OJT, he filled all the potholes in our driveway. He ain't stopped since.

But the brown paper bag part.... hey. Just think of how much money I'm saving the city on gas and lawn equipment maintenance!!
LMAO Funny!!!

Big Bubba's new job will be spray painting all the brown grass, GREEN!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #23898
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
I was talking about having an excuse to be pissed off and smack people with a stick!
Who needs an excuse to do that? Some people call it playing hockey!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Balota Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #23899

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
LMAO Funny!!!

Big Bubba's new job will be spray painting all the brown grass, GREEN!
And he'd be the best damn grass painter this city has ever seen!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #23900
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7094 Times on 4271 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would be careful of that. Several years ago I had a similar opportunity from a guy I trusted. Had another guy check it out and the damned thing had been stolen. The owner's personal information was all over the thing. I turned it over to the police and the guy who was trying to sell it to me insisted that I pay him for it and I told him to talk it over with the police.
Besides all of that, Windows 8 sucks. Big time. IMHO.
I doubt this computer is stolen. But, I am taking seriously your encounters with Windows 8. My kids know me and know I'm very "slow" when it comes to technology. My oldest son's fiancee has a new Windows 8 computer. They are struggling with it. Son said it would basically be unusable to me and with my struggles with technology. He also said just buy an Acer laptop. Cheaper and good for what I want. I just search the web, check Facebook, go on FTF, etc. I don't do anything fancy at all. No need for anything really fancy. I just might go with an Acer. But for now I have to fund myself for my son's wedding in Jamaica. That travel and lodging has all been taken care of but I need a dress for the rehearsal dinner, a dress for the wedding itself, swim wear, etc. Did I mention I'm spending a couple days with Canebrake and his wife on the way home from the wedding? Yeah, I am. Gonna shoot The Canebrake. I'm as excited to meet Cane and wife as I am for my son's wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
If the computer is legit, (like Viking said), I'd take him up on the offer. What HP model is it? If you really don't like it, you could always have it made into windows 7, or you could have all personal info removed permanently, and sell it.
I think I'd like a laptop better than a tablet. I want a "real keyboard". I wonder how much it would cost to have it made into a Windows 7?
axxe55 Likes This