Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2378
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #23771
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

Brunel university in England has developed a brass case that snags microscopic skin cells to identify who touched the shell, hopefully to solve crimes. It also marks the skin of who touched it with a combination of pollen and titanium dioxide, which embeds into the skin. This combination can remain in the skin after washing handed with soap and water.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #23772
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8518 Times on 4930 Posts
Likes Given: 11063

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
My autobiography would read a lot like "Shantaram". If you haven't read it, do it. Don't be intimidated. It's a huge book, I think somewhere around 800 pages, small print, on pages, I guess, about 9"X 7".

I read fast, but it took me nearly a year to read. It went with me everywhere I went. Every spare moment I had, where I wasn't actively involved in doing something, talking to someone, or eating, I was reading it. I even bough a large fanny pack just to carry it in. It was so tattered by the time I got done... I don't own it anymore, but I will again one day, and it will again be one of my most treasured possessions. If I had to vote for a "best book in the universe", that would be it.

Unfortunately, so much has happened in my short, as of yet, life, that I can't remember all of it. Occasionally, I do sit down and dig through my mind, reminiscing of the things I've seen and done, the things that have happened to me, and the adventures I've been on.

The past few years have actually been fairly dull, in comparison to other years. This is probably why I feel old before my time. Fatherhood and my domestic life have surely taken a toll on my "as the wind blows" personality and sense of adventure.
I look for books on Dealoz.com , You can find dang near anything and cheap to boot. Never gotten stiffed with them Shantaram is available for just a few bucks. http://www.dealoz.com/prod.pl?cat_id=10&op=buy&op2=buy&lang=en-us&search_country=us&shipto=us&cur=usd&zip=&nw=y&c lass=&pqcs=&pkcs=&quantity=&shipping_type=&sort=&c atby=&query=Shantaram&data_id=351162

I think I will pick up a copy on your description.

Have you ever read Lois L'Amour's "The Walking Drum"? That is a great historical fiction novel.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #23773
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8518 Times on 4930 Posts
Likes Given: 11063

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Huston , we have a problem . I know its going to get a bit hotter than usual since its a new top end and a bigger bore but Its pings on take off and damn it she is hot .
For sure going to get a big decent oil cooler and a fan , may have to invest in a case of good octane boost w/it being 10:1 , may cool the heat range down on the plugs and switch the oil I am using back over to Amsoil 20-50 v-twin oil .
It stood up on me pretty bad and it broke loose on me another time , got me wondering now what a set of cams would do to it , gonna have to get use to it , wish I had dyno'd it before I did the work and I really need to rebuild the rear brake , I fixed the line but she wont bleed , I went through the master cylinder but it still wont build pressure like it should
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Is the paint keeping the aluminium from cooling?
It is probably due to the thinner pots. Less thermal mass to handle the heat. Black paint will actually help dissipate the heat better. You might have to weld on some larger cooling fins to replace some of the mass and increase surface area available to transfer heat away.

Keep moving too....

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #23774

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Are you watching Duck Commander? Omg it's funny!!! Si wants pizza!!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #23775
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 1885 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Strongly debating ordering a RIA 1911 in 10mm online; need to check in with local FFL about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

If you get it, DO A REVIEW! I'm probably getting an RIA 1911 in 45 when I turn 21. If I love it, I'll probably want to get it a buddy. Still debating between 9mm, 38 super, and 10mm.
I feel like Trip should tell you what he said to me about getting a 1911 in 10mm but it probably isn't appropriate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
texaswoodworker, I thought you were older. You know, since you have a lathe and all.
I always think that, he definitely comes across that way.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #23776

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I feel like Trip should tell you what he said to me about getting a 1911 in 10mm but it probably isn't appropriate....

Was what he said good, or bad? Either way, I have an idea of what he probably said.

Thank you.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #23777

Liked 1138 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Quote:
s the paint keeping the aluminium from cooling?
I thought that but the heads are not painted or coated just the upper part of the rocker boxes BUT the cylinders are powered coated '' way they came '' but that should not make too much of a difference since HD did the same thing from the factory . If I cant get it to cool like I want then I will take off the powder coating in the jugs . Imma get that thin cheap ass oil out of it tomar and did around to see what kind of coolers I can dig up , they might be purrty but they will work till I order one I want .

Ponder this .... at the gas station , when I fill up the bike wich only holds MAYBE 3 gallons , just how much of what goes in is actual 92 ?
Hell it prob takes 2 gallons in the pump just to flush the 87 through the hose before the pure 92 ever starts to come out . understand what i am saying ?

Seriously considering buying 95 or higher in a drum so I know for sure what I am getting ...... Maybe some VP 110 or 115 ? only bout 8 a gallon or higher

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #23778

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Why watch on TV, when I'm likely to run into any one of them around town? Ran into Alan (one of the younger brothers, doesn't play on the show), and his nephew, John Luke (Willie's son) at McDonald's yesterday. Haven't run into Phil or Kay yet. But oh my lord, meeting Kay is going to be a highlight. I'm sure I will. I work for the city in which their very active.

The show is scripted. Their personalities most definitely are not.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #23779

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Why watch on TV, when I'm likely to run into any one of them around town? Ran into Alan (one of the younger brothers, doesn't play on the show), and his nephew, John Luke (Willie's son) at McDonald's yesterday. Haven't run into Phil or Kay yet. But oh my lord, meeting Kay is going to be a highlight. I'm sure I will. I work for the city in which their very active.

The show is scripted. Their personalities most definitely are not.
Coz I live in Texas, not West Monroe, LA. Yeah, obvious it's scripted. Still, funny as sin!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #23780

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post

The only thing I remember discussing about the 1911 with you is when I just asked what caliber you think you would prefer... You said ".45", and I said, "Good..."

Wait, no, I remember we chatted about it some more... But I still don't remember what I said.

Last edited by trip286; 04-04-2013 at 03:15 AM.