Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2258
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #22571
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

OK, but shouldn't a doctor be able to warrant his work against failure due to a defect in his workmanship, like a mechanic? If i had a headgasket replaced at a shop (did a couple years ago) and I the driver used only water with no antifreeze in the radiator, the shop would not be responsible for failure. However, even with all proper and reasonable precautions taken by the patients, doctors take very little responsibility for the quality/longevity of their work. My Dad had some intestinal difficulties in latter 2010; he was prescribed some heavy antibiotics and treated for a hernia or something; due to the heavy antibiotics, he ended up short on the "good bacteria" in his lower intestinal tract (AKA C-Diff) and had to pay several hundred dollars (after insurance coverage) for some pills to help him get over the C-Diff. At the least, the doctors should have comped the meds to fix the C-Diff caused by their original prescription/action.

Had my mechanic refilled my nissan's coolant resevoir with brake fluid, and had the nissan subsequently succumbed to some malady related to the incompressibility and thermodynamic properties of brake fluid and been returned to the mechanic within a year or X miles, the mechanic would have been on the hook for the cost of repairs due to his mistake. Otherwise, i very well may have burned down his house with him in it, as i know where he lives.
Maybe if the doctor had some way of knowing EXACTLY how much of the good bacteria your Dad had in his system, and EXACTLY how that bacteria would react (sometimes identical bacterias are harder to kill, depending on outside factors), and had some way of ensuring that your Dad ONLY put into his body the EXACT stuff to promote healthy bacteria and kill off the bad, then yea, that would be perfectly reasonable.

The truth is, our bodies are simply way more complicated than a car. What happens when you put brake fluids in your coolant reservoir? Hell if I know, but can't be good. What happens when you live on Redbull and donuts? I don't know that either, for sure, but it still can't be good.

Now, when your take your car to a mechanic, or yourself to a doctor, everyone tells them the same thing "of yeah, I try to take care of it, but I've has a few problems..." Okay. Well, a mechanic can tell that, "hey, your radiator is full of oil (brake fluids mixed with water looks the same as oil mixed with water). Must be a blown head gasket. He fixed it and sends you on your way. You bring it back, the problem is still persisting. Now he investigates and finds the REAL problem. No, your warranty on his workmanship doesn't cover that.

I'm NOT trying to say your Dad doesn't take care of himself or neglects the doctor's advice. I'm sure he does the best he can to take care of himself, as many older people do. No one wants to drive themselves into an early grave (but mobile makes me wonder sometimes ), there are just WAY too many factors that can be involved.

Take locutus for example, and all other diabetics. They have to pay close attention to what they eat. Now what if I were to give him, or my younger cousin (severely affected by junior diabetes, has a service dog and all), a cookie, claiming it's sugar free? Well, they'll get sick and could die. But let's say they get better, but I gave them a whole box. They go home and get a few more. They don't know what's going on unless they're able to pinpoint what's making them sick, possibly only by trial and error (I would hope both would recognize the culprit as being the only change in their diet).

There are just WAY, WAY too many variables. Comparing a car to the human body is no fair at all to doctors or mechanics.

Last edited by trip286; 03-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #22572

And some doctor work is "warrantied". I just had a wart frozen of my hand. Doc says if it comes back, or it spreads, he'll treat it again no charge. That's something that didn't have so many possible different outcomes.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #22573

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hope that don't happen!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #22574
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3588 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Besides, engines are man made we understand them better because we designed and built them and we can manufacture all the replacement parts.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #22575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Besides, engines are man made we understand them better because we designed and built them and we can manufacture all the replacement parts.
Well... They're working on manufacturing replacement parts for the mere hoomans too...
They probably still won't be warrantied though

Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #22576
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

THANKs again all. we will be okay. just a shock to the brain. at least it was at its earliest stages.

on to good news. i tore apart my gp100 today, gave it a little cleaning and was able to put ALL the parts back together.

also, really looking forward to my gp100 photo shoot soon. you guys have any ideas? wantd to try not to copy some of my other photos, or backdrops. hehe.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #22577
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
also, really looking forward to my gp100 photo shoot soon. you guys have any ideas? wantd to try not to copy some of my other photos, or backdrops. hehe.
Nothing shows off the workmanship of a pistol like displaying it on a dead bear.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #22578

Watch out for reflections.

teakettle.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #22579

I never should've sold that tea kettle...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #22580
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

hahaaaahahahaahaha trip.

gello, i would be soooo happy to display that photo!

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.