Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #21971
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 249 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
I am going to break my silence now but first I would like to apologize to ya'll for some of my post , I will admit that i should not have posted certain things .
Now that thats out of the way , Stopping somthing like alcohol , smoking drugs or meds is something to be proud of .
Yes your mind can get addicted to all of them but your body gets use to having it , it needs it and dang if it aint hell getting away from them , it can be a pure hell .
I had been on some very very strong meds for my back , stuff they usually only give terminal cancer patients and I almost hate my doc for it . it was getting tot he point where they just did not work anymore so I decided to just flat out stop.
I waited till I ran out so I would have nothing to fall back on and from what i have heard and seen on tv I figured the worse was coming .
It was a bit tough at first , you gotta train your mind and your body has to almost reset to start producing its own chemicals that the other substance replaced .
I was lucky , I got the doc to give me some non narc and it works better than the narc stuff ever did .
With that , I went to a back surgeon yesterday and its not good . From like l3 down all need to be fused , his words were
'' Your disc look like blown out tires , there is no injection or anything other than a pretty invasive surgery or pain management ''
It kinda shocked me , every other dr played off the situation .
So now I am faced with a 3 level fusion and 6 month recovery or being miserable .
I had exactly the same thing. I was back in the cockpit in 90 days. I think (and so did the Doc), what helped me was, before the surgery, I worked out as much as I could stand under the occasional guidance of a trainer. I couldn't afford one full time. Strengthening and toning the muscles let them carry part of the load of healing and sped things up some.

I don't think you'll find that your life style will change all that much. You won't be an invalid. Good luck, you have a lot of friends pulling for you.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #21972
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

Alcohol is the only drug that can literaly kill you if you quit cold turkey. If your enough of an alcoholic, it could cause your body to go into cardiac arrest.
When I initially quit drinking, I went through about a week of hell. Shakes, pains, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, headaches, arrhythmia, blackouts, extreme irritability, confusion, insomnia, and probably some other problems I don't remember.

I wasn't even a hardcore alcoholic. I was drinking all the time, but rarely ever drunk. A buddy had a car breathalyzer, and we would play around with it. I rarely even got close to the legal limit, which I personally think is way too damn high and objective anyway.

Now, I can have a few drinks, and even occasionally tie one on, and not touch a drop for another six months. Right now it's been almost a month. I had my last drink when I realized I was sick. A while back, I got drunk and posted some crazy stuff here on the forum, I think that was around 4 months ago or so. Maybe a little less.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #21973

Liked 848 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Both docs told me my biggest recovery hurdle is smoking , dont know if I believe them or not , it may be more anti-smoking hype , just like 2nd hand smoke
I have cut down from 2.5 packs a day to 1 MAYBE 1.5 . Been trying to get on the electronic smokes but they hit harder than a non filter camel or some ragged green . Cough my ass off with one little puff

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #21974
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion

Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Apparently some people don't realize that if they miss three days of work in a week they might have to work late a couple of days, go figure... Your work doesn't do itself

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 02-22-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #21975
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

Quote:
Alcohol is the only drug that can literaly kill you if you quit cold turkey. If your enough of an alcoholic, it could cause your body to go into cardiac arrest.
Also the pill heads hooked on alprazalam/xanax; they go into seizures that can be fatal if not treated/controlled.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #21976
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

4 years ago we had to stop hiking because my wife's knee was in bad shape. The doctor was talking replacement. He gave her a series of 3 shots into the knee and told her it would only last 6 months. I started her on 100 mg of NOW Hyaluronic Acid once a day. You can take 2. We are back to hiking and no surgery. A few weeks ago we told someone who was having back and joint problems about the product and she bought some. She started a 3 a day spaced and has been doing a lot better. She is walking without her cane and not hobbling. It is available over the counter at health food stores and on Amazon. I dont know if it works for everyone but it definitely helped my wife.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #21977

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
I think i made it just under the wire

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #21978

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Also the pill heads hooked on alprazalam/xanax; they go into seizures that can be fatal if not treated/controlled.
Quit the Vicodine after 3 + years of eating 3-5 a day every day --Just grew weary of that monkey - No big deal but course i'm a tuff ole sumbeech

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

pnolans Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #21979

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Seen that happen to a child hood friend who was recently addicted to Xanax seen it happen right in front of me. The seizure is caused by the withdraw from what I understand.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #21980
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7311 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Both docs told me my biggest recovery hurdle is smoking , dont know if I believe them or not , it may be more anti-smoking hype , just like 2nd hand smoke
I have cut down from 2.5 packs a day to 1 MAYBE 1.5 . Been trying to get on the electronic smokes but they hit harder than a non filter camel or some ragged green . Cough my ass off with one little puff
I have heard from some friends who are/were smokers that changing to natural tobacco (one of them even grows his own) and it is supposed to be much less worse for you because the tobacco companies put tons of chemicals in their cigs, but it also weans you off of the dependency of the chemicals while still giving you the nicotine. Then when you wean off the nicotine by tapering off on how much you smoke you are fighting fewer monkeys. Plus, you roll your own so people think you are even cooler- or they think you are smoking a doobie. Either way you win.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.