Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2196
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #21951
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Have you lost your mind? Yeah, the sugar, the milk, the cheese, the gluten, but DAMN...
Yeah. I hear you, but I was pressured by my wife. I honestly didn't find it to be difficult at all. No cravings or anything. My wife still opens a bottle of wine now and then but I have no desire to have a glass. There are still a few of my favorite beers in the fridge in the RV but I have no desire to drink them.

Funny thing is that after a couple of months on the wagon my wife criticized me because I quit cold turkey without going to any AA meetings. She said I was "doing it wrong".

I told her that AA is for quitters and I would rather succeed at what I do, not quit.

I think she is upset because I can win more arguments when I'm sober.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #21952
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yeah. I hear you, but I was pressured by my wife. I honestly didn't find it to be difficult at all. No cravings or anything. My wife still opens a bottle of wine now and then but I have no desire to have a glass. There are still a few of my favorite beers in the fridge in the RV but I have no desire to drink them.

Funny thing is that after a couple of months on the wagon my wife criticized me because I quit cold turkey without going to any AA meetings. She said I was "doing it wrong".

I told her that AA is for quitters and I would rather succeed at what I do, not quit.

Vikingdad, it sounds like you just decided not to drink anymore. AA is for alcoholics and those with drinking problems. that doesn't sound like you.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #21953
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Vikingdad, it sounds like you just decided not to drink anymore. AA is for alcoholics and those with drinking problems. that doesn't sound like you.
Oh, I don't know about that. I was drinking way too much and every day for years (a six-pack or more of 8% ABV beer every day). Mainly to dull the constant nagging from my wife . I was what my buddy calls a "functioning alcoholic". I guess so. But from what alcoholics I know tell me it is always difficult but so far so good for me. I have even been into bars and not had a problem ordering something non-alcoholic. Just lucky I guess!

I say I don't drink any more, but I don't drink any less either- just not alcohol!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #21954
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7103 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I need to quit smoking. It's been 3 days since I have just dunno if that'll last.
Take it one cigarette at a time, KYT. DON'T say "I don't know if it will last". It's a tough journey but break it down into very small journeys. If you look at the whole picture sometimes it is overwhelming and you feel you can't do it. Just quit one cigarette at a time.

Quote:

What the heck? A success is a success. You're doing good and you know it, Vikingdad.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #21955

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:

I did the same- Funny thing it i really didn't plan to. When i retired i was a bit concerned that i'd drink to often (my father crawled into a bottle & never came out) but i found myself wanting a beer less & less Now i'll drink a cold one with friends now & again Also quit the Vicodine after 3 + years of eating 3-5 a day every day --Just grew weary of that monkey
I'm with you on them dam meetins

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #21956
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:

This sounds a lot like Cinder's signature: "Know your limits, exceed them often." (I love that saying!) You spent years "knowing" that you needed at least a strong 6-pack daily. Now you're exceeding that limit daily by NOT needing it. Well done!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #21957

Liked 1083 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I am going to break my silence now but first I would like to apologize to ya'll for some of my post , I will admit that i should not have posted certain things .
Now that thats out of the way , Stopping somthing like alcohol , smoking drugs or meds is something to be proud of .
Yes your mind can get addicted to all of them but your body gets use to having it , it needs it and dang if it aint hell getting away from them , it can be a pure hell .
I had been on some very very strong meds for my back , stuff they usually only give terminal cancer patients and I almost hate my doc for it . it was getting tot he point where they just did not work anymore so I decided to just flat out stop.
I waited till I ran out so I would have nothing to fall back on and from what i have heard and seen on tv I figured the worse was coming .
It was a bit tough at first , you gotta train your mind and your body has to almost reset to start producing its own chemicals that the other substance replaced .
I was lucky , I got the doc to give me some non narc and it works better than the narc stuff ever did .
With that , I went to a back surgeon yesterday and its not good . From like l3 down all need to be fused , his words were
'' Your disc look like blown out tires , there is no injection or anything other than a pretty invasive surgery or pain management ''
It kinda shocked me , every other dr played off the situation .
So now I am faced with a 3 level fusion and 6 month recovery or being miserable .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #21958

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Welcome back, Mobile. Sorry to hear your back is that bad off. FWIW, I have several family members who've had fusions done, and they said it works great. None of them even noticed a decrease in mobility, but none of them had to crawl all over boats and stuff either.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #21959

Liked 1083 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
but none of them had to crawl all over boats and stuff either.
Thats another thing I am dealing with , I dont know how much longer I want to float this company or at least by myself . We are all burned out , Dad is with his shop , I am with mine and my shopmate is with his but he has money so he could care less .
I am very proud that I have made it this far and long , I have beat the worse droughts , gas prices winters and economy all by myself when even some of the big boys shut it down .
No other marine shop or dealer around has the reviews I have and I hate to throw it all away .
But no one is there to take over dads company either and he is not crazy about merging the two . I have some other bigger but still small companies drooling to get my loyal customer base and have offer some mighty good incentives to come on board with them and bring my base .
In the early days I could show up to a million dollar home to fix a 50k boat barefooted w/ my labs and down to earth and they loved it , I wear shoes now though.
Got alot of soul searching to do on a few things
But I did find a hook up with wounded warriors and rolling thunder so I can knock out some community service , think I could do more good with them 2 than some goodwill or ymca .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Last edited by MobileMarine; 02-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #21960
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7103 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I'm with you on them dam meetins
Well, I'm going to defend those "dam meetins". There's a couple down the street from me who I've been friends with ever since I moved into my home. They are very dear to me and helped me through some difficult times such as divorce and all the help a single parent would need. Our oldest sons were best friends for all their lives and even were room mates for several years before finding their life mates.

The man, I'll call him Dave, was a terrible drunk. He was a farmer and in the winter he'd drink heavily. Sometimes he'd go out and be gone for days. One Spring he never sobered up enough to plant his fields. His wife did it, after working all day as the Dean of Horticulture at the local Community College. I told her to let the fields lie dormant and she said she couldn't because her name was tied up in the farm, too. She filed for divorce.

Dave is a veteran and went to a VA hospital to sober up. He was there 3 months. He had seizures, delirium tremens, etc. He went to counseling, the family went to counseling with him on occasion, attended family nights, etc. He came out a whole new man. Wonderful, kind hearted, loving Father, husband, etc.

Dave joined AA when he came home. He went to meetings 5 days a week. He sponsored other people trying to quit drinking. Sometimes going to help them at all hours of the day or night. His new friends were the AA members.

Every Spring they host a huge fish fry at their home. The wife's Dad is retired and lives on the banks of the Mississippi River and fishes all the time. Their fish fry guests are mostly AA members, family and neighborhood friends. I'll tell you, those AA members are so much fun to hang with. They are sober and humble, but, man, do they have some wild stories to tell of the times when they were drinking. I love going to the parties where the AA people are going to be. They all hug each other, support each other, encourage each other.

Don't diss the AA meetings. They are a wonderful support system for those who need it. It has changed many lives and saved many marriages. Not to mention gives many children a loving home in which to grow up. I don't consider Dave "weak" at all because he attends meetings. I admire Dave for the strength and courage it took to sober up to save his marriage and be a good father to his sons. And he's one heck of a guy to hang around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I am going to break my silence now but first I would like to apologize to ya'll for some of my post , I will admit that i should not have posted certain things .
Thank you for that, MM. Apology accepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
So now I am faced with a 3 level fusion and 6 month recovery or being miserable .
Though I am not a big fan of back surgery, particularly on younger people, but I think the decision for you is clear.
People Like This