Random Thoughts Thread - Page 216
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #2151
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am very thankful for the lack of "drama" on this forum. One of the car forums i visit, primarily for the tech info, was just closed by "drama" and what sounds like e-harassment of the couple who started it, kinda pitiful.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #2152

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Leave the drama for yo momma.

I quit going to THR.org and .us for all the drama. It was horrible over there. There was in fighting and then you got the owner of the site and some other dude that was supposed to be working for him fighting over who owned the site. I dunno After the mods getting on me for calling a guy a douche bag (I didn't even use the ponch pic) because he shot a deer at something like 600 or 700 yards with a smokeless muzzle loader and then while the deer is thrashing around for 5 minutes he and his buddy are doing there gay love victory dance and swearing like a sailor. Instead of putting another shot on that deer to end its suffering. The same guy posted it over at GGVG message board and got ran off like a scalded dog. Them old boys at GGVG don't play around. They believe in having enough gun for what your shooting at. One guy I know has a 338 Edge (300RUM necked up to 338) that he uses for ground hogs.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #2153

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal View Post
T
Here's a random thought, I got massacred by yellow jackets mowing the yard.
That scares the bejesus outta me. I'm allergic to insect venom. Nothing like a little Anaphylactic shock to make my day. Already happened to me on my vacation to Hawaii last year. Ate something that disagreed with me and came to days later in the hospital. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation in the Islands.

Here in Las Vegas, we're under excessive heat warning until Sunday night. Alright. My kinda days. I prefer 45ºC over 45ºF any day. And as I had to explain to a coworker, in the Midnight Oil song, Beds Are Burning, when its sung that "the western desert lives and breathes at forty-five degrees," he's talking about degrees Celcius (I remember when it was Centigrade) not degrees Fahrenheit...basically 45ºC = 113ºF. I find it "neat" that, if I can't sleep, I can wander out of my apartment at 0100 hours and it's still 90º+ out.

Parents with Alzheimer's...very scary proposition. They're taking the meds to slow down its progress but I see the disease effects. Talking to my Mom, she'll state something and then 10 or so minutes later, she'll repeat it. My Dad does the same thing and he's got the added problem of having had a few minor strokes. It's disheartening to see him in the sad physical shape those strokes have caused. After he spent 30 years in the Marine Corps and being the Jack of all Trades I grew up with, he's basically been reduced to a shuffling old man. He's 88 and my Mom is 85. I hope it doesn't come down to me having to decide to institutionalize one or both of them. That's something I don't really want to have to face.

I need to get off my old arse and get to the range to practice. I've been slacking off entirely too much lately. Being a recluse is not an option I should be involving myself in. I've also got to hit the GunsAmerica site again to see if any of the Garands are still there for sale. I don't want one of the "new" ones either. I want one that looks like it's seen it all. I don't want a worked-over showpiece...I want it for its historical heritage. I want the weapon my Dad used in WWII and Korea.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #2154

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You know WD-40 and a lighter works real good for takin out wasp nests. I used to do it all the time.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #2155
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

AcidFlashGordon, hang in there. Just do the best you can with/for your parents. Treat them with love and kindness. That's all you can do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #2156
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Parents with Alzheimer's...very scary proposition. They're taking the meds to slow down its progress but I see the disease effects. Talking to my Mom, she'll state something and then 10 or so minutes later, she'll repeat it.

I want the weapon my Dad used in WWII and Korea.
I'm dreading that possibility with my parents; Dad is mid-70's and seems to be holding up well physically & mentally as does my mother. If dad ever stops going in to the office, i could see him losing some of his sharpness quickly. My mother will be a sharp-minded and annoying creature for many years to come. When she had the colon cancer, my friends asked if i was going to leave college to be with her during her illness; i explained she was entirely too mean and vindictive to die. (don't disagree, you haven't met her) They had a good friend who went through quite an ordeal with Alzheimer's; the upside is that after it is in full effect, the victim/patient is almost always blissfully unaware of any problems. The early stages when their friend realized she was fading were much more difficult unfortunately. I wish you the best in assisting them with their journey.

If you enjoy talking about the "old days" with your Dad, ask him if he remembers a group in Korea that had a red salamander painted on the front of their helmets (rather flattened helmet). A long-deceased uncle of mine gave me one when i was a child; i've been looking for it every other time i visit my parents.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #2157

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think our mothers may be related

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #2158

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm dreading that possibility with my parents; Dad is mid-70's and seems to be holding up well physically & mentally as does my mother. If dad ever stops going in to the office, i could see him losing some of his sharpness quickly. My mother will be a sharp-minded and annoying creature for many years to come. When she had the colon cancer, my friends asked if i was going to leave college to be with her during her illness; i explained she was entirely too mean and vindictive to die. (don't disagree, you haven't met her) They had a good friend who went through quite an ordeal with Alzheimer's; the upside is that after it is in full effect, the victim/patient is almost always blissfully unaware of any problems. The early stages when their friend realized she was fading were much more difficult unfortunately. I wish you the best in assisting them with their journey.

If you enjoy talking about the "old days" with your Dad, ask him if he remembers a group in Korea that had a red salamander painted on the front of their helmets (rather flattened helmet). A long-deceased uncle of mine gave me one when i was a child; i've been looking for it every other time i visit my parents.
Orange, not to pee in your soup but my mother went from balancing her checking account to in the ground in as little as 3 weeks!

Stay close and watch every sign! Tell them you love them EVERY day from now on!

Don't Fu*k this up like I did! You will never forgive yourself! My Mom was 83, dating and gigling on the phone with me about getting younger! The whole time she was 1,200 miles away from me and hiding her weight loss! That was 2006 and I still ache! If she had the geriatric medical aid available here in S FL she may well be alive today! The Dr. in NW PA let her starve to death!

Orange, stay on top of their health! Don't allow the "importance" of daily BS let what happened to me repeat itself!

Cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #2159

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
AcidFlashGordon, hang in there. Just do the best you can with/for your parents. Treat them with love and kindness. That's all you can do.
I call and visit whenever I can. I'm seriously considering quitting my current job because the hours I'm "unavailable" makes it difficult to contact my parents or be contacted by them. One of the disadvantages of working at a remote, highly secure area. But, if I quit I'd probably have to relocate to someplace with a lower cost of living than Las Vegas. Not many companies want to hire someone at my age (59). The company I work for is somewhat "unique," in that they need people with my electronic experience...experience in troubleshooting down to component level, not "swaptronics" as they're mostly teaching in school and military training nowadays. I also have experience with tubes (you know, those glass things in old electronic equipment that glow when they're on), which is quite necessary because of the unusual equipment and systems I work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

So far they're doing good, health-wise, except for my Mom and her knees. She's diabetic (has been for over 30 years) and according to the doctor, too old for joint replacement surgery.

I'll have to remember to ask my Dad about those helmets and see if he'll talk about them. He's been very close-mouthed about his wartime years and only recently did I find out that in Korea, he was in "Chesty" Puller's outfit.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #2160

I'll take the 45*F anyday of the week (I can't figure out the degree symbol on my keyboard). This desert summer heat really sucks. 113 is just brutal on everything. It's the flipside of the new england winters deep freeze

It's pretty novel for tourists who are only here for a few days but if ya are a local, you learn to live around it. Personally, I don't like it one bit, but unlike the frozen north during the winter, ya don't have to shovel heat .......................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 07-19-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: sp