Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2159
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #21581
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3589 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Yeah, don't you remember? I was on the phone with you as soon as it went off. I was telling you how it just didn't end exactly how I expected with the diner scene and I was a bit surprised that Travolta didn't have a little more screen time.

Violent movies I have no problem with. War movies I have a huge problem with. The civil war is far enough removed, and from such a different era and society, that although some scenes make me flinch, it doesn't bother me that bad. Saving Private Ryan makes me lose a little sleep, Band of Brothers will have me sleeping in a fighting hole in the backyard, and The Pacific... Did bad things to me.

Having lived some things, and then seeing movies based on real history, those movies have a much bigger impact than a fantasy movie. The odd thing is, I didn't start having problems with those movies until about 2 years after I was discharged. It took me that long for my psyche to catch up with the events I've gone through.
I actually remembered that conversation right after I posted that.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #21582
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7660 Times on 4602 Posts
Likes Given: 9573

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
And you should see "Shirley Valentine". I'll keep telling you that until you see it. ;-)
I never heard of it. Where would I find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I don't think I could sit through a 4 hour movie...

I can barely make it through a 2 hour movie without falling asleep
Gone With The Wind is very captivating. I doubt you'd fall asleep. The movie is an epic movie. Above and beyond most movies. If I were you, I'd give it a try. You can always watch half one night and the other half the next night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
The D-Day sequence of Saving Private Ryan will have you involuntarily holding your breath, tears in your eyes and thanking God you are seeing it as a movie and not participating. If you ever decide to see it do so in a theater, watching on TV doesn't do it justice.
Yeah. I cry pretty easily.

Quote:
Yeah, don't you remember? I was on the phone with you as soon as it went off. I was telling you how it just didn't end exactly how I expected with the diner scene and I was a bit surprised that Travolta didn't have a little more screen time.
I think she meant she's never seen Gone With The Wind.

Quote:
Violent movies I have no problem with. War movies I have a huge problem with. The civil war is far enough removed, and from such a different era and society, that although some scenes make me flinch, it doesn't bother me that bad. Saving Private Ryan makes me lose a little sleep, Band of Brothers will have me sleeping in a fighting hole in the backyard, and The Pacific... Did bad things to me.
And I lose sleep seeing what our military men and women have lived through. I am weak like that. Particularly Vietnam era movies.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #21583
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

This thread is as good as any for this nonsense.......1000 posts! yay!

1000.jpg  

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #21584

Liked 1200 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Yea , thanks for bringing up private ryan , now im stuck watching it again while trying to get some work done .
Boy , the po-po's are out in force today . Bout time I wind the hog out in 3rd I am passing the gas station and it must be the annual grab ass convention for our local sheriffs dept . And they are all looking at me
Pull up to the intersection and putt putt through 2nd then pour the coals back on for 3rd and 4th .
I love harassing them
Turn into CVS and there is 2 more ... facepalm .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #21585
FTF_MODERATOR.png

So, I'm driving around with my 6 year old granddaughter today. We're behind a pickup truck that has a cap over the bed and a lock on the cap. Above is some ladders. Little Angel says, "Why does he have a lock on his truck?" I tell her he might have tools in there. That the ladders probably means he works on houses or whatever and maybe he has tools in the pickup. The lock is there so no one will steal his tools. So, Angel says, "Yeah, he might be a guy who works on air conditioners, or roofs, or pipes or something like that. Or he might be a paleontologist." I have no idea where that came from. She seemed to know what a paleontologist does. She said she learned about them in school.

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #21586

Liked 1200 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Quote:
So, I'm driving around with my 6 year old granddaughter today. We're behind a pickup truck that has a cap over the bed and a lock on the cap. Above is some ladders. Little Angel says, "Why does he have a lock on his truck?" I tell her he might have tools in there. That the ladders probably means he works on houses or whatever and maybe he has tools in the pickup. The lock is there so no one will steal his tools. So, Angel says, "Yeah, he might be a guy who works on air conditioners, or roofs, or pipes or something like that. Or he might be a paleontologist." I have no idea where that came from. She seemed to know what a paleontologist does. She said she learned about them in school.
Does she randomly bust out singing to the top of her lungs while driving down the rd ? My boy will in a minute , have no clue what he is singing but it is funny as hell . Just off in his own little world singing as loud as he can . Still trying to get it on camera .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #21587
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Does she randomly bust out singing to the top of her lungs while driving down the rd ? My boy will in a minute , have no clue what he is singing but it is funny as hell . Just off in his own little world singing as loud as he can . Still trying to get it on camera .
Well, if we do any singing in the car, it's usually both of us and we're singing to whatever CD is playing.

One time we were listening to a Michael Jackson CD. "Thriller" had just gotten done playing. Little Angel said, "Wow, Michael Jackson has a really loud scary voice." I am stunned for a moment until I realize she thought the voice of Vincent Price was Michael Jackson's voice. Then we played "The Girl Is Mine" where Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney exchange a few words. Now she knows what Michael Jackson sounds like. Big difference.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #21588
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3589 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

I never heard of it. Where would I find it?

Gone With The Wind is very captivating. I doubt you'd fall asleep. The movie is an epic movie. Above and beyond most movies. If I were you, I'd give it a try. You can always watch half one night and the other half the next night.

Yeah. I cry pretty easily.

I think she meant she's never seen Gone With The Wind.

And I lose sleep seeing what our military men and women have lived through. I am weak like that. Particularly Vietnam era movies.
I fall asleep during most movies. I'll talk Trip into watching it with me

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #21589
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
I fall asleep during movies that don't capture my interest.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #21590

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

I'd watch grass grow and paint dry if that's what you wanted.