Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2139
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #21381
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Depends on if you like your kids or not.
What are you trying to say? That's how I learned...
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #21382
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10208 Times on 6091 Posts
Likes Given: 14662

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What are you trying to say? That's how I learned...
Oops............sorry.

It's best to teach them from an instructor, in my opinion. My kids all had lessons as I don't really know how to swim properly, myself. I can tread water, but swim.......not really.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #21383
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1214 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Oops............sorry.

It's best to teach them from an instructor, in my opinion. My kids all had lessons as I don't really know how to swim properly, myself. I can tread water, but swim.......not really.
You will improve if you don't wear all them shootin irons!
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #21384

I'll tell you all something, and I hope it scares the living hell outta you.

You know those stickers on the back of everyone's cars these days? The ones with "Johnny, #13, Frank's used tires peewee baseball" and crap like that? Well, I'm sure many of us here know a little about opsec. I know another member here disturbed me with how much info they were able to get from google on me. I didn't totally freak, because a bit of it was outdated and inaccurate, but it was plenty enough to scare me.

I was cut off today on the road. A woman driving crazy. Her daughter, "Jo", is apparently a cheerleader at the local middle school (according to the sticker in the back window), and takes dance lessons too. So... I got on google, just to see what I could find on this psycho woman driver.

Here's the gist of what I found. I first visited the school's website, where I was able to put a face to "Jo's" name. Her real name is "Joan". I won't give her last name, to protect her privacy. She's 14. Her Mom is "Jane". Her Dad is "Frank". She has a younger sister, who also takes dance lessons, and an older brother, a Bradley mechanic in the army. Maybe he knows my brother? They're even in the same unit... "Jo's" cheerleading practice, competitions, football games, and dance recital and practices are all listed online.

I looked at "Jane's" Facebook page. She's a physical therapist and works pretty much 9-5, but apparently pulls occasional overtime. "Frank" is a realtor. THEIR HOME ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER ARE LISTED ON THEIR SHARED FACEBOOK PAGE, WITH NO PRIVACY SETTINGS ACTIVE, because "Frank" often apparently works from home. I guess he needs to be available to his clients...

Because I try to be thorough, and at this point, it's a game of academics to me, I pulled up their home address on google earth. Nice place. Big house. Pool. No really obvious sign of a dog, such as paths along the fence. Hmmm... Double check Facebook... Family photos... No dog pictured...

Guess what? "Jane's" older brother is getting married for a second time. In Lincoln, Nebraska. He's a welder that works on oil rigs. He's getting married this weekend, and "Jane" is just "oh so hoping" that "Jo" will be okay at the house by herself this weekend. She's staying home because Friday night is a big dance recital, and it won't end until around 9pm, at which point, her friend, "Cindy" and her Mom will give her a ride home, where she'll spend the rest of the weekend, all by herself.

"Jane" also has a very strong dislike for guns.

I would assume they have an alarm system, but there was no mention of it.

Called my brother. He knows of "Joan's" older brother by mutual friends, but doesn't know him personally. He's young, and fairly new to the army.

Now. I'm not a rapist, a serial killer, thief, murderer, or any other kind of nefarious character.

But if I were...

I did report the reckless driving to the ouachita parish sheriff's office. I gave "Jane's" full and real name, home address, make and model of her car, and plate number. I don't really know what they do about an accusation that has no proof to back it up though.

The scariest part? I gathered all that info in about the same amount of time it took me to write this.

Now, go outside and sanitize your vehicle. I personally don't have anything on mine but my tag (which, I believe, you're SUPPOSED to have to go through law enforcement to get personal info from), and my inspection sticker.
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #21385

Also, don't make a target of yourself. Act discreet, BE discreet. Don't run around Pissing people off.
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #21386
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3885 Times on 2520 Posts

What's scary is so many are surprised by this.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #21387

Liked 1415 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:

You know those stickers on the back of everyone's cars these days? The ones with "Johnny, #13, Frank's used tires peewee baseball" and crap like that? Well, I'm sure many of us here know a little about opsec. I know another member here disturbed me with how much info they were able to get from google on me. I didn't totally freak, because a bit of it was outdated and inaccurate, but it was plenty enough to scare me.

I was cut off today on the road. A woman driving crazy. Her daughter, "Jo", is apparently a cheerleader at the local middle school (according to the sticker in the back window), and takes dance lessons too. So... I got on google, just to see what I could find on this psycho woman driver.

Here's the gist of what I found. I first visited the school's website, where I was able to put a face to "Jo's" name. Her real name is "Joan". I won't give her last name, to protect her privacy. She's 14. Her Mom is "Jane". Her Dad is "Frank". She has a younger sister, who also takes dance lessons, and an older brother, a Bradley mechanic in the army. Maybe he knows my brother? They're even in the same unit... "Jo's" cheerleading practice, competitions, football games, and dance recital and practices are all listed online.

I looked at "Jane's" Facebook page. She's a physical therapist and works pretty much 9-5, but apparently pulls occasional overtime. "Frank" is a realtor. THEIR HOME ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER ARE LISTED ON THEIR SHARED FACEBOOK PAGE, WITH NO PRIVACY SETTINGS ACTIVE, because "Frank" often apparently works from home. I guess he needs to be available to his clients...

Because I try to be thorough, and at this point, it's a game of academics to me, I pulled up their home address on google earth. Nice place. Big house. Pool. No really obvious sign of a dog, such as paths along the fence. Hmmm... Double check Facebook... Family photos... No dog pictured...

Guess what? "Jane's" older brother is getting married for a second time. In Lincoln, Nebraska. He's a welder that works on oil rigs. He's getting married this weekend, and "Jane" is just "oh so hoping" that "Jo" will be okay at the house by herself this weekend. She's staying home because Friday night is a big dance recital, and it won't end until around 9pm, at which point, her friend, "Cindy" and her Mom will give her a ride home, where she'll spend the rest of the weekend, all by herself.

Called my brother. He knows of "Joan's" older brother by mutual friends, but doesn't know him personally. He's young, and fairly new to the army.

Now. I'm not a rapist, a serial killer, thief, murderer, or any other kind of nefarious character.

But if I were...

I did report the reckless driving to the ouachita parish sheriff's office. I gave "Jane's" full and real name, home address, make and model of her car, and plate number. I don't really know what they do about an accusation that has no proof to back it up though.

The scariest part? I gathered all that info in about the same amount of time it took me to write this.

Now, go outside and sanitize your vehicle. I personally don't have anything on mine but my tag (which, I believe, you're SUPPOSED to have to go through law enforcement to get personal info from), and my inspection sticker.
Stalker, stalker, stalker !!!
;-) ;-) ;-)
sure glad you don't have all that info on me. Did I say STALKER
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #21388
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

That is scary Trip. Creeps me out (and I am sure that is true of everyone here to some extent.) But this is the world we live in. To be honest, I cringe at how many people here on FTF are so free with information on themselves for instance. Though this is a fairly safe group to do so, the information oozes out there to sites that are not so safe. Totally uncool. I like to think I have pretty good OPSEC, but maybe not so much as I thought. Though my presence on the internet is not large, whatever is out there cannot be retracted as far as I am aware.

No decals (except for a past Sheriff's candidate) on the vehicles. Not wise.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #21389

Liked 215 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Also... check out spokeo... you can get ALOT of info... though apparently I don't exist...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #21390
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:

But if I were...

Just made me check the privacy settings on my Facebook, for the third time this month, sigh of relief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Stalker, stalker, stalker !!!
;-) ;-) ;-)
sure glad you don't have all that info on me. Did I say STALKER
Yeah, I'm a little bothered about him stalking high school cheerleaders.

I actually found some guys IRS form in a truck once. Full name, address, DOB and social.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/8th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-7-8-9-2016-a-118694/#post1778284

Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 02-12-2013 at 12:55 AM.
dango Likes This