Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #20521
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not at any price. That is indicative of an organization type that i would not enjoy working for or with.
That would be the Merchant Marine if I remember what Mosin has said about himself.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #20522
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
He's military gello....well sort of. They HAVE to put up w it. Stupid to my way of thinkin but its the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
That would be the Merchant Marine if I remember what Mosin has said about himself.
What i meant was that i wouldn't take that kind of job that required a uniform or daily suit and tie. This did come up when i finished my masters in accounting; i went for the more casual state jobs. I was hesitant about the badge at first, but it was concealed in a little fold-up wallet thingy.

Yes, Merchant Marine; i think that is what my maternal Grandfather was doing when the ship he was on exploded. I never met him, but i heard he looked sharp in his seafaring garb.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #20523

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

I think we may have to agree to disagree. I conduct interviews for our police department. I like to see the applicants come in wearing suits and ties. It shows me they have respect for the Commission and the position they are applying for. I would not expect anyone who doesn't own a suit to buy one for the interview. If the applicant comes in wearing khakis and a nice shirt, I'm okay with that, too. I would not hire or not hire someone based on their clothes (unless they come in wearing dirty sneakers and a Nike logo shirt or something like that). I think dressing nicely for an interview and having proper manners at a business meal is showing respect. Just my humble opinion.
I love the guys that can't understand why they can't get an "office job" and they have ink all over their face with implants that make it look like they have horns. Big holes in their ears and have teeth filed down to fangs. I don't understand why people don't take them serious.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

People Like This 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #20524

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc

Why is it called a tow if you push it?
Because we push the face string and the ones wired in on the face string are towed.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #20525
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6752 Times on 4080 Posts
Likes Given: 8065

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I guess we will.

Of course, i've never been to an interview in anything less than a really nice blazer/sports coat and slacks with a well-pressed dress shirt and tie and have usually gone with the charcoal suit. I look at the interview suit as a simple way of saying to the interviewer that i do have something to wear to a meeting of the directors if need-be, NOT as an example of what i will be wearing to work on a regular basis.
I agree here. I guess I use the term "suit" loosely. I really don't know the difference between a blazer, a suit, a sport coat, etc. I meant a 'jacket' of some sort, shirt, tie, nice pants. I, too, would be very uncomfortable dressing up every day. Heck, I'm uncomfortable dressing up ever. I'm not really very girly girl when it comes to clothes.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #20526

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
I love the guys that can't understand why they can't get an "office job" and they have ink all over their face with implants that make it look like they have horns. Big holes in their ears and have teeth filed down to fangs. I don't understand why people don't take them serious.
Back when I owned all the Ameritech Cellular stores from Indianapolis to the Ohio line I intervied a young man - - - dressed very nice and seemed like he would fit in.

I allowed him to start the next day - - - He came in with short sleves showing his arms totally tatooed with very distastfull "art" a ring thru his nose with chains going to both eyebrows - - - I told him I would pay him for the day but he was not an employee - - - the threatened to sue and I threatened to pull all his piercings out very slowly if I ever heard from him again.

It takes all kinds to make a world but you must take responcibility for your actions - - - if he had worn long sleves and no piercings he could have worked but his choice of atire was not what I wanted for my salespeople.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #20527
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3013 Times on 1684 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

I agree here. I guess I use the term "suit" loosely. I really don't know the difference between a blazer, a suit, a sport coat, etc. I meant a 'jacket' of some sort, shirt, tie, nice pants. I, too, would be very uncomfortable dressing up every day. Heck, I'm uncomfortable dressing up ever. I'm not really very girly girl when it comes to clothes.
I have never been to a job interview where I didn't wear a skirt. I don't know if that's doing me any favors in this industry, but it's what I was taught and I figure it can't hurt

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #20528
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

FWIW, I have had to deal with folks from a broad variety of backgrounds and business situations.

My goal was to dress appropriately for what I am doing, and who I am meeting with.

Going in underground coal? Yep- jeans, coveralls, metatarsal guard boots, gloves, knee pads, miners lamp hardhat, safety glasses.

Staff of the PGA tour? Blazer and slacks.

Training at a construction site? Boots, khakis, golf shirt.

Meeting with the governing board to discuss a one billion dollar construction project? Suit. Not blazer- suit.

I should not be overdressed nor underdressed so that it creates a barrier to communication.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #20529
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19990 Times on 11364 Posts
Likes Given: 50429

i agree with that C3. dressing in a Brooks Brothers suit for an interview for a heavy equipment technician's job would probably get you a few giggles!

but irregardless of the job or the attire for the interview, what's more important is you appearance. hair combed and trimmed if needed. beard or mustache trimmed neatly if you have them. clothes neatly pressed and not wrinkled. fingernails clipped and clean. little details such as these can make a difference. tells a potential employer a lot about you and your work ethics.

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #20530
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3013 Times on 1684 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i agree with that C3. dressing in a Brooks Brothers suit for an interview for a heavy equipment technician's job would probably get you a few giggles!

but irregardless of the job or the attire for the interview, what's more important is you appearance. hair combed and trimmed if needed. beard or mustache trimmed neatly if you have them. clothes neatly pressed and not wrinkled. fingernails clipped and clean. little details such as these can make a difference. tells a potential employer a lot about you and your work ethics.
I wore a black pencil skirt nylons and heels to my job interview.... I don't think anyone laughed.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

winds-of-change Likes This