Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #20511
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Random thought: I HATE dressing up in fancy clothes. Never been to a formal dinner, almost called off my wedding because wifey insisted I wear a tux. I'm proud to be a physical laborer, in a t shirt every day.

Feral cat waterboarder

orangello Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #20512
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6741 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 8037

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Which are wholly inappropriate in many areas of business today. Does your general practitioner where a suit and tie now? Does a contractor show up to work on a home in a blazer nowadays? Do professors at normal colleges (not Ivy League institutes of asskissery) teach class in their robes (OK, maybe for graduation ceremonies)? Does your tax preparer wear the three piece suits of yesteryear? What about bankers, surely to be among the last to relinquish the costumes of our old English masters; they too are dressing much more casually than even in the 1970's.

To hell with formality and stodgy tradition! T-shirts and flipflops might be a bit far, but i see no reason for people to dress to the nines when working 9-5 or to hold with other out-dated traditions such as calligraphy for signatures or ruining a good meeting table with food and dishes.

This is the kind of thing that will leave us speaking chinese or spainish in decades to come when the "working men" outpace the "meeting masters".
I think we may have to agree to disagree. I conduct interviews for our police department. I like to see the applicants come in wearing suits and ties. It shows me they have respect for the Commission and the position they are applying for. I would not expect anyone who doesn't own a suit to buy one for the interview. If the applicant comes in wearing khakis and a nice shirt, I'm okay with that, too. I would not hire or not hire someone based on their clothes (unless they come in wearing dirty sneakers and a Nike logo shirt or something like that). I think dressing nicely for an interview and having proper manners at a business meal is showing respect. Just my humble opinion.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #20513

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Just came across this:
You all remember: The 6 safety features of the modern rifle are the adjustable multi position butt stock for proper fit for the safety of shooter. The pistol grip for safe control and safe target acquisition. Removable mag for safe loading of weapon and protects fingers from action and bolt injury. Barrel step for mounting safety light and other accessories. Safety lug for mounting bi pod for better and safer control. Flash guard for protecting eyes from blinding flash and powder residue.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #20514

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
That was in Vicksburg. Never been there, my company does not push oil tows. I haven't read the article but I heard about it. Lowest I've been is new Madrid mo
Why is it called a tow if you push it?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #20515
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Never scene my Lgs shelves so empty

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #20516

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Lol at the people griping about dressing up... Try wearing a suit every day, and getting it inspected daily.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #20517
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think we may have to agree to disagree. I conduct interviews for our police department. I like to see the applicants come in wearing suits and ties. It shows me they have respect for the Commission and the position they are applying for. I would not expect anyone who doesn't own a suit to buy one for the interview. If the applicant comes in wearing khakis and a nice shirt, I'm okay with that, too. I would not hire or not hire someone based on their clothes (unless they come in wearing dirty sneakers and a Nike logo shirt or something like that). I think dressing nicely for an interview and having proper manners at a business meal is showing respect. Just my humble opinion.
I guess we will.

Of course, i've never been to an interview in anything less than a really nice blazer/sports coat and slacks with a well-pressed dress shirt and tie and have usually gone with the charcoal suit. I look at the interview suit as a simple way of saying to the interviewer that i do have something to wear to a meeting of the directors if need-be, NOT as an example of what i will be wearing to work on a regular basis.

I wasn't suggesting that someone should gobble, belch, and scratch at a business dinner. I was suggesting that the very idea of combining work with dining into a "business dinner" is more of an oxymoron than "jumbo shrimp" and more plainly more of an afront to the pleasure and relaxation that dining (a very basic function of all living beings, like dropping a deuce) should be than a "working weekend" or a "business vacation" or quick & simple colonoscopy.

I see nothing wrong with waving off the meal during such a miserable experience to concentrate on the "business" part and have done so in the past with no repercussions or regrets. Were i asked by a student i would not hesitate to advise them to do the same, POLITELY. We aren't pack animals; we don't all have to eat at the same carcass.

This is not to say i have anything against a casual dinner with coworkers; that can be a good way to get to know them and to know more about the company.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #20518
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Lol at the people griping about dressing up... Try wearing a suit every day, and getting it inspected daily.
Not at any price. That is indicative of an organization type that i would not enjoy working for or with.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #20519

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Not at any price. That is indicative of an organization type that i would not enjoy working for or with.
He's military gello....well sort of. They HAVE to put up w it. Stupid to my way of thinkin but its the truth.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #20520

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE="gwk4667;1113887"]Someone please move this to the right forum,

Thanks,

If you tell a lie often enough does it become the truth?? This information has been available since the 15th of Dec and yet the media still is spreading the lie that the children were killed with an AR-15 assault rifle. Can you believe anything they tell you?

The local news here ran a short piece on how it was miss information that an AR was used. Then in the next segment they went on to bash AR-15 and their owners. Theyvaskedvwhy someone would need an AR like the one that was used to shoot kids at sandy hook. WTH how can you contradict a segment you just ran before the commercial? Are people really this stupid in simple minded if they would forget that quick? If so I am concerned about the stupidity of America.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري