Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1927
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #19261
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7339 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I'm hanging out with Trip Jr. I have been informed that I'm not old enough to work on trucks, apparently I have to 31 to do that... Who knew?
The kids know.

Here's a story for you.

My daughter has a friend that is part Native American (aka Indian). My granddaughter told me that "Amanda was part Indian. I don't even know what an Indian is." So, I told her Indians were the people who lived here before Christopher Columbus came here. Then my granddaughter said, "Wow, I wonder how old she is, then." ROFL.......

Hey..........feed him a cordial cherry and video it. LOL
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #19262
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 734 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Who decides what a "serving size" is? I just made myself one packet of instant oatmeal and I don't think there was enough there to keep a mouse alive until lunchtime. Who really eats a "serving size" of anything? Serving size of meat, 3 oz. Serving size of pasta or rice, 1/2 cup cooked. Chips, snack foods, 1 oz.
Lots of these 'serving size' portions are for marketing purposes, so the manufacturer can lie with a straight face about how much bad stuff is in each 'serving'.

A tip on the oatmeal: we keep a 1-gallon rubbermaid container full of dried mixed fruits (cranberries, cherries, raisins, pineapple, chopped dates, etc.), and add 1/4 or 1/3 cup of the fruit to each pkt of instant oatmeal. adds variety and fiber to the oats. When the container gets low, we pick up whatever fruits are on sale and replenish it, so the mix is always changing. I have that every morning for breakfast when at work, along with two hardboiled eggs. (Have I mentioned how great it is having a never-ending supply of free-range eggs just steps from my house?)

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #19263

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr
Lots of these 'serving size' portions are for marketing purposes, so the manufacturer can lie with a straight face about how much bad stuff is in each 'serving'.

A tip on the oatmeal: we keep a 1-gallon rubbermaid container full of dried mixed fruits (cranberries, cherries, raisins, pineapple, chopped dates, etc.), and add 1/4 or 1/3 cup of the fruit to each pkt of instant oatmeal. adds variety and fiber to the oats. When the container gets low, we pick up whatever fruits are on sale and replenish it, so the mix is always changing. I have that every morning for breakfast when at work, along with two hardboiled eggs. (Have I mentioned how great it is having a never-ending supply of free-range eggs just steps from my house?)
That sounds tasty. I notice those 100 calories per serving ads, and there is 35 servings in a box.

-Matt

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #19264

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The human stomach is approximately the size of the respective person's fist...
Oh yeah? Speak for yourself, or, from your lips to God's ears.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #19265
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I do add some raisins, dates and walnuts to my oatmeal. I also have free range eggs, except I buy them from a farmer down the road. He keeps trying to sell me some chickens. I keep telling him I'll let him do all the work and I'll just keep buying eggs from him.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #19266

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
...along with two hardboiled eggs. (Have I mentioned how great it is having a never-ending supply of free-range eggs just steps from my house?)
An aquaintance bought 200 chicks. Didn't realize how much it'd cost to feed 'em and how many eggs they'd lay. She couldn't give that many eggs away. Eventually she was giving chicks and the chickens themselves away...

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #19267
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
An aquaintance bought 200 chicks. Didn't realize how much it'd cost to feed 'em and how many eggs they'd lay. She couldn't give that many eggs away. Eventually she was just giving the chickens themselves away...
I think 3-5 would be a good amount. LOL What the heck was she thinking, buying 200 chickens?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #19268
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2051 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Who decides what a "serving size" is? I just made myself one packet of instant oatmeal and I don't think there was enough there to keep a mouse alive until lunchtime. Who really eats a "serving size" of anything? Serving size of meat, 3 oz. Serving size of pasta or rice, 1/2 cup cooked. Chips, snack foods, 1 oz.
I agree. Look at a bag of pretzels. Any hungry person knows how many servings there are ... One bag, one serving. Not 16, one(1) serving. Three pound bag from Sams Club? Same answer. One bag, one serving ...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #19269
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8500 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11050

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The human stomach is approximately the size of the respective person's fist. You really shouldn't eat much more than a meal about that size.

Serving portions are, unfortunately, based on caloric intake and approximate nutrient needs.
Quote:
So you only eat 3 oz of meat and 1/2 cup of rice or pasta at any meal?
Rule to live by "Never eat anything larger than your head."

Quote:

Hey..........feed him a cordial cherry and video it. LOL

DO IT!!! DO IT!!!!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #19270
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3378 Times on 1883 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post

I agree. Look at a bag of pretzels. Any hungry person knows how many servings there are ... One bag, one serving. Not 16, one(1) serving. Three pound bag from Sams Club? Same answer. One bag, one serving ...
I don't think I could eat a whole bag of pretzels, really I don't

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.