Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1881
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #18801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Thinking of trying to trade my '03 for a Garand... I dont really want to trade it, but I have a case full of bolt actions and really really want "my" Garand..
Maybe theres somebody looking for a '03 that happens to have that old piece of "farm equipment" lyin' around....

What do you guys think?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #18802
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8134 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Thinking of trying to trade my '03 for a Garand... I dont really want to trade it, but I have a case full of bolt actions and really really want "my" Garand..
Maybe theres somebody looking for a '03 that happens to have that old piece of "farm equipment" lyin' around....

What do you guys think?
It is never good to make a deal in desperation. Simmer down and wait.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #18803

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

@Winds

If it makes you feel any better, I've had a stripped lower receiver for an AR-15 since 2009 during the first big anti-gun scare under Obama. Luckly nothing came about and it just sat in storage. Now with all that has happened I sort of wish I would have built it by now. I too think I'm stuck not getting an AR-15 considering that a protental ban could ban anything associated with the rifle outright. This really sucks.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #18804

Correct me if I am wrong but Congress is on recess until January. They cannot pass anything that quickly and it will not take effect immediately in any case. Worst comes to worst and you could probably sell off the extra parts for big bucks.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #18805

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but Congress is on recess until January. They cannot pass anything that quickly and it will not take effect immediately in any case. Worst comes to worst and you could probably sell off the extra parts for big bucks.
Well, what I plan to do is to be a part of the backorders on both PMags and an upper receiver from Del-Ton. I've been wanting to build an AR-15 for a few years now, but I've always been more of a pistol person and always found something else to sink my money into. Plus, everytime I got serious about wanting to build the darn thing there would be oodles of new parts that would come out and it just became dizzying on what to get. However, since everything is coming down in the fashion that it is, I think now is the time to finally build it and do so in the most basic way possible. That is of course if I can still get the parts between now and doomsday.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #18806

Liked 1055 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 542

If said ban would come in effect . I wonder if i would be better off buying a bunch of lowerws and parts kits and hope like hell i could buy uppers latter ?
Figure they will at least ban the mags or do'em like they did in california

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #18807

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
If said ban would come in effect . I wonder if i would be better off buying a bunch of lowerws and parts kits and hope like hell i could buy uppers latter ?
Figure they will at least ban the mags or do'em like they did in california
In CA the mags are limited to 10 rounds. We can get the larger ones but they have to be permanently (as in epoxied in) pinned to prevent them from loading more than 10 rounds. The way the law reads is that it is legal for us to own the high-capacity magazines that we owned prior to the ban taking effect- but they can only be used in the gun that we also had at that time! If you owned a Mini 14 and you had high-cap mags for it then you can continue to use it in that gun, but if you purchase a new Mini 14 you cannot insert those "old" high-cap magazines into it.

Then we have the "bullet button" magazine release. You must have one of these on any post-ban "assault rifle". Some say that you cannot transport a gun without having the magazine inserted as that constitutes a removable magazine or some such BS. Also cannot use one of those magnetic bullet button tools as the magnet "permanently attaches" the tool to the rifle, negating the purpose of the law which is just to frustrate the Hell out of sport shooters.

The other thing is that there are not date stamps or serial numbers on a lot of these restricted parts.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #18808
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7024 Times on 4227 Posts
Likes Given: 8463

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Winds, you need this old man to introduce you to the AR platform. (Back down you perverted members, this is a sincere offer platonically made to a good friend, sands gender!)

I have offered this help to you in the past and foresee a similar positive result in this introduction to the .223 Rem [5.56 mm NATO] world! (especially in the AR ownership world with the current political environment!)

Winds, it's winter, what better time to visit your buddy in Ft. Lauderdale? I'll gather the parts and assist you in the assembly. (You can apply your own sun block!)

Trust this old man, it's something you need to experience!

cane (you have my # )
Platonic, platonic, platonic. Geeze!!!! Anyway, I am tempted, Cane. I do have your phone number but remember that you threatened to press harassment charges against me if I ever called you? And remember when I bought my Sig and you sent that killer thing in the box that I needed a forklift to get into the house? And I let it lose and it chased my dogs all around the house until I caught it in a big live trap? Am I supposed to trust you after that???

I did juggle some financial obligations around. I'll have to see about gathering the money to get down to FLA and buying the AR parts. I'll contact you through PM's or maybe I'll actually call.

You know meeting you is on my bucket list, Cane. You and C3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Winds, that is a $259 trip on Amtrak, not too bad with enough time to see some landmarks in D.C. (can go Pittsburgh if you are scared).
If I were going from Northern Illinois to Florida, what would I be doing anywhere near D.C. or Pennsylvania? Am I confused about my geography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Check the flights into the rat house (Orlando) they are typically the cheapest, and rent a car to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale. (Or if you ask me nice, I could pick you up.)

Just find a cheap flight to Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami or Ft. Myers and I will be there with (suppressed) bells on!

cane
Seriously, Cane. I don't think you'd be able to lift me.

If I come visit, you know sure as heck I'm going to shoot the snot out of that Canebrake, don't you? That and Jon's pink 10/22 or two of my favorite guns that I don't own........and I've already shot the pink 10/22.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 12-20-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #18809
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

If you shop airfare, check AirTran. Think they may be flying out of Midway and not O'Hare. Jet Blue flies out of O'Hare, but they have stranded me once (and never again)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #18810

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
You know meeting you is on my bucket list, Cane. You and C3.
Maybe you can swing by C3's compound and then all of you can catch a meal at Waffle House. A Bucket List trifecta!