Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1867
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #18661
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4463 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So I swapped out my MSH which changes the fundamental feel of my gun. I had an exceptional paycheck too, so I snagged a 100 round box of WWB at the local Academy. Tomorrow after work, getting a little range therapy.
That's good.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #18662
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I agree. I once had a 'friend' who had no children and she told me she loves her dogs as much as I love my children. That ended that friendship. What an ignorant thing to say to me.
I've lost a couple of dogs in my life, it was sad. But I would never EVER compare that to losing a child, or loving my dog the same as you could love a child. As much as I love my little niece I can't even begin to imagine how much I will love my children. I can't believe someone would say that.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #18663
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8769 Times on 5239 Posts
Likes Given: 11642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I've lost a couple of dogs in my life, it was sad. But I would never EVER compare that to losing a child, or loving my dog the same as you could love a child. As much as I love my little niece I can't even begin to imagine how much I will love my children. I can't believe someone would say that.
I was very offended. I have dogs and I love animals in general. I truly do love my dogs. But.....if I ever had to make a choice between my children and my dogs I wouldn't have to even consider it for a millisecond.

Welll, as Paul Harvey says....."and here's the rest of the story".

This particular friend had a child late in life. She was 41 when she gave birth to her first and only child. That child is now 6 years old. Her attitude has certainly changed. LOL She used to say, "If you bring your kids here you better watch them close because my Akita doesn't particularly like kids and the dog was here first and this is my dog's house and I'm not locking it away in a bedroom because your kid is here." That dog has since passed but she adopted a dog that growled and her daughter and it immediately went back to the adoption agency. And........this same woman used to bitch about having to pay taxes to the school when she didn't even have a child in the schools. I tried to tell her the value of her house depends on the strength of the schools. She fought tooth and nail about having to pay taxes to the schools when she had no children. Oddly enough, her child was born with some physical and mental developmental delays. From about 18 months on her child has received free therapy through the schools and other county agencies. And I mean intensive therapy. Her child has made great strides in improvement. I also remind her all that time that's exactly what everyone's tax money goes to. She is receiving free care that I am paying taxes for. And I don't even have a developmentally delayed child. And I'm not bitching about helping her child grow.

I may be a bitch but I remind her how ignorant her thinking used to be and how much her attitude has changed.

And to be honest, we have mended our friendship and I'm one of the very few she trusts to babysit her daughter. She doesn't even let her Mom or her sister babysit her daughter. I guess she realized she was wrong and I was right.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 12-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #18664
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3214 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 3095

There's a difference between honest criticism and bitchin'. The main difference is the audience. Telling this to everyone BUT her is bitchin'. Telling HER the truth is honest. Sometimes being honest winds up with the same result as bitchin', but apparently not in this case. I'm glad it worked out right for you and her (and her daughter).
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #18665
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my response is this as i do love my dogs and they are in a way my children. unfortunately i was never able to father any children, so i don't have any. it saddens me to lose one of my dogs, but if i had been able to have children in my life, there is no way one can truly compare them in the same context as an animal. a truly responsible parent has no problem making a choice when it comes to their children.

but also if able have the best of both worlds, a dog who will protect it's owner's children with it's life. growing up, my father had several dogs that were extremely territorial when it came to my brother and i. my father even got involved in a lawsuit over one that bit another child because that child beat up my brother and that Collie tore into that kid because he felt my brother was in danger. luckily my father won that one.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #18666

Liked 1323 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 659

Some of you may remember when I went balistic on one of my labs , I know winds does . Our girl lab is very sweet and will attack any other dog who gets near the kids . Our boy lab her brother is a fat lazy grump . I can tell by the tails , eyes and ears when a dog is pissed and getting ready to snap , my wife can not . I always try to keep the kids away from him unless they are giving him some food or to pet him ONLY when I very close . He has growled and showed teeth at us before and growled at the kids when they have tripped or fell down close to where he was laying but that one time he snipped at my son I layed into his ass , if he had bit him , I would have killed him , Kids fault or not and the dogs were our first kids but let them hurt one of my kids and they will take a dirt nap .
Dad told me once never love anything that can not love you back . I intend on getting a female german or malinoise or what ever its called and MAYBE another lab . I love boxers but they are very gun shy and dont swim for chit .
If our boy lab wont so grumpy I would get the kids a puppy to grow up with .

Many times in my life I have caught hell tracking down customers who owe me money but never had a I had such a tough time getting a man to call m back so I can give him money .
He has a golf cart I want and he owed me money for winterizing a few boats of his at the lake . We agreed on a price , I told him to not worry about sending me a check , just put it towards the cart . WILL NOT CALL ME BACK and I know for a fact he knows I have been calling . Left message at his house , work , secratery and cell , email text the whole works since thanksgiving . Pisses me off so bad , I am fixing to leave some cash at his lake house and take the damn thing , bet he will call then !
And of course I got the cutest ones in the bunch !
The little fat one in the back is mean as sh!t , I tell everyone I may not have a big one but it can make some purrty youngins LMAO
BTW any idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to get 4 young kids and a almost deaf grandma to take a picture ?!?!?!?
Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Last edited by MobileMarine; 12-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #18667

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Make a note. The day after a kindergarten class is slaughtered in cold blood is NOT the day to hit the range in West Monroe.

The gun shop is swamped. People stacked 5 deep at the counter, guns flying off the shelves. People actually making arrangements with strangers to borrow newly purchased guns for concealed carry classes. After nearly an hour of waiting, I finally got to talk to the range master, who said the range is shut down due to concealed carry classes. They weren't scheduled for any today, but after yesterday there was such a demand that they've run 4 classes today and plan to run at least 5 more before closing for the night.

Oorah West Monroe. Oorah.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #18668
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8769 Times on 5239 Posts
Likes Given: 11642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
There's a difference between honest criticism and bitchin'. The main difference is the audience. Telling this to everyone BUT her is bitchin'. Telling HER the truth is honest. Sometimes being honest winds up with the same result as bitchin', but apparently not in this case. I'm glad it worked out right for you and her (and her daughter).
If anything, I am honest. I think it's unfair to not be honest with people. This particular friend was married for quite a long time to one man. They eventually divorced because he had a fairly serious drinking problem. She found a new man who fathered a child with her. I think a lot of her uncalled for comments and bitterness towards children was that she wanted one very badly and didn't think she would ever have one. When she did this 180, I told her she owed all us Moms she insulted over the years an apology. She did apologize and her excuse was, "I didn't know better. Now I do." I accepted that and moved on. I tell her that her daughter has taught her way more about life than she could ever teach her daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Some of you may remember when I went balistic on one of my labs , I know winds does .
Yes, oh, yes, I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
He has growled and showed teeth at us before and growled at the kids when they have tripped or fell down close to where he was laying but that one time he snipped at my son I layed into his ass , if he had bit him , I would have killed him , Kids fault or not and the dogs were our first kids but let them hurt one of my kids and they will take a dirt nap .
If I were in this situation, I would rehome the dog with someone who does not have kids. Or I would have him humanely put down. It is not right to expose your kids to this dog that is a potential danger to them. Do you realize what that dog could do to one of your children? I think your children have beautiful faces and it would be great to keep it that way. Yeah, think about it. It would be much safer to rehome that dog. And it would be better to have that dog out of your home and into a home where he won't have to be subject to any beatings or possibly being killed by your hands. I love my dogs but if I thought my dogs would be better off with someone else rather than with me, I would love them enough to put them in that better situation.

Just sayin........
People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #18669

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll be damned if the public parish range isn't just overcrowded too...

They won't let any more onto the line than one shooter per lane, unless you're shooting with a partner or kids (many young kids here with dads, makes me smile) There are people in the parking lot waiting beside their cars.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #18670

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
my response is this as i do love my dogs and they are in a way my children. unfortunately i was never able to father any children, so i don't have any. it saddens me to lose one of my dogs, but if i had been able to have children in my life, there is no way one can truly compare them in the same context as an animal. a truly responsible parent has no problem making a choice when it comes to their children.

but also if able have the best of both worlds, a dog who will protect it's owner's children with it's life. growing up, my father had several dogs that were extremely territorial when it came to my brother and i. my father even got involved in a lawsuit over one that bit another child because that child beat up my brother and that Collie tore into that kid because he felt my brother was in danger. luckily my father won that one.
Axxe you can adopt me if you want. I am very well behaved. I understand you need a son to leave your guns to, assuming I don't go first. I've seen your guns I'll try to hang in there.
axxe55 Likes This