Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1856
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #18551
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hooray for Illinois, possibly this is a good start! Now they have 180 days to comply!

Federal Court Strikes down Illinois' total ban on carrying firearms for self-defense outside the home or business
Fairfax, Va. – The United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit ruled today that Illinois' total ban on carrying firearms for self-defense outside the home or business is unconstitutional. The case involves lead plaintiff Mary Shepard, an Illinois resident and a trained gun owner, who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun in both Utah and Florida. The National Rifle Association is funding this case. The Illinois State Rifle Association is a co-plaintiff in this case.
“Today’s ruling is a victory for all law abiding citizens in Illinois and gun owners throughout the country,” said Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of NRA. “The court recognized that the text and history of the Second Amendment guarantee individuals the right to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense and other lawful purposes. In light of this ruling, Mary Shepard and the people of Illinois will finally be able to exercise their Second Amendment rights.”
On September 28, 2009, while working as the treasurer of her church, Ms. Shepard and an 83-year-old co-worker were viciously attacked and beaten by a six-foot-three-inch, 245 pound man with a violent past and a criminal record. Ms. Shepard and her co-worker were lucky to survive, as each of them suffered major injuries to the head, neck and upper body. Ms. Shepard's injuries required extensive surgeries and she continues physical therapy to this day attempting to recover from her injuries.
In today’s decision, Judge Richard Posner ruled that Illinois’ ban on carriage is unconstitutional. The Judge went on to say, “One doesn’t have to be a historian to realize that a right to keep and bear arms for personal self-defense in the eighteenth century could not rationally have been limited to the home. . . . Twenty-first century Illinois has no hostile Indians. But a Chicagoan is a good deal more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk than in his apartment on the 35th floor.”
"Today's ruling is a major victory for law-abiding Illinoisans—and for everyone who understands that the Second Amendment protects the right both to keep arms, and to bear arms," added Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. "This ruling makes clear that Illinois cannot deny law-abiding residents the right to carry a firearm for self-defense outside the home. This is a step in the right direction for all gun owners. We know it probably won’t be the end of this case, and we’re ready to keep fighting until the courts fully protect the entire Second Amendment."

Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #18552

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Unfortunately, they'll just find a way to make it so difficult to get a concealed carry permit that they still aren't really free to exercise their rights. Think: New York and California permitting processes.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #18553

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Unfortunately, they'll just find a way to make it so difficult to get a concealed carry permit that they still aren't really free to exercise their rights. Think: New York and California permitting processes.
BUT its a start.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #18554

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
BUT its a start.
Oh I won't deny that. It's much more than what was allowed before. And with this win, maybe one day they'll be able to fully exercise their human rights in Illinois.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #18555
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 335 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Unfortunately, I agree - state will find another way to drag its feet. It's not easy living in a Blue State. We must endeavor to persevere...
People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #18556

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Yep, its rough in blue states. I am happy to see this, it may be the beginning of something great, or just another small win that will cause virtual inability to obtain Conceal Carry Permits for those in IL. Whatever the case may be, it is still good news to me, even though I'm in CA.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #18557
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I think the farther you get away from the antigun cities, the better the laws. A lot of Illinois is pro gun, but Chicago writes the laws for the state as a whole. Same with New York and California. A lot of the counties are pro gun, and will issue permits.
It's not a perfect win, but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #18558

Liked 1316 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Oh hey , look , a little judge followed me home today . Yes I think I will keep it , yes I am mad they sold me 45acp vrs 45lc and all I have are 3in 410s
Where is that tactical face palm picture again ?
Heres to a good nights sleep , the big judgment day is tomar , I may postpone it till the 22 this month

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #18559

Liked 2821 Times on 1833 Posts

Why not the sw governor? Six shots vs five, with a better trigger pull, and American made which supports our economy.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #18560
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8663 Times on 5168 Posts
Likes Given: 11413

Quote:
Oh I won't deny that. It's much more than what was allowed before. And with this win, maybe one day they'll be able to fully exercise their human rights in Illinois.
I got my pocket pistol ready, holster and all.
Vikingdad Likes This