Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1808
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #18071
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjfuller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: a place between here and there.
Posts: 4,729
Liked 1340 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I parallel parked a gooseneck trailer hauling two tractors right in the middle of downtown Dallas.

It was about 90% luck.



Never a good idea to be putting things, especially long cylindrical things, in your mouth, in the dark. Knowing is half the battle.
Doh.. did i say sub, i ment penini.
hehe

was wondering why it tasted a bit salty.
__________________
I have been a silent witness
to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hour comes
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
jjfuller1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #18072
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I parallel parked a gooseneck trailer hauling two tractors right in the middle of downtown Dallas.

It was about 90% luck.

Never a good idea to be putting things, especially long cylindrical things, in your mouth, in the dark. Knowing is half the battle.
Parallel is probably the hardest backing manoeuvre to do w a trailer.
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #18073
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post

Doh.. was wondering why it tasted a bit salty.
Oh ya know you liked it.
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #18074
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

I can back a trailer pretty good under almost any conditions (well, slippery might present a challenge) but the one time that impressed the Hell out of everybody is when I went on a shop fishing trip with the guys at work, we had two fishing boats (small ones, maybe 14- 16 footers) and the one guy literally could not back a trailer to save his life, so I hooked one trailer to the front hitch on my Bronco and the other one to the rear hitch. I launched one boat, spun the rig around and launched the second one then parked the Bronco with both trailers and was back down to the dock before the boats were ready to push off. Fished the whole weekend pulling the boats out and launching them every evening/morning. Sure did get some funny looks and a few rounds of applause each time.

The funny part is that it is really pretty simple to do. You just ignore the trailer that you are pulling and concentrate on the one you are pushing (BTW, pushing a trailer on a front mounted hitch is more challenging than one on the rear). Piece of cake!
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #18075
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I can back a trailer pretty good under almost any conditions (well, slippery might present a challenge) but the one time that impressed the Hell out of everybody is when I went on a shop fishing trip with the guys at work, we had two fishing boats (small ones, maybe 14- 16 footers) and the one guy literally could not back a trailer to save his life, so I hooked one trailer to the front hitch on my Bronco and the other one to the rear hitch. I launched one boat, spun the rig around and launched the second one then parked the Bronco with both trailers and was back down to the dock before the boats were ready to push off. Fished the whole weekend pulling the boats out and launching them every evening/morning. Sure did get some funny looks and a few rounds of applause each time.

The funny part is that it is really pretty simple to do. You just ignore the trailer that you are pulling and concentrate on the one you are pushing (BTW, pushing a trailer on a front mounted hitch is more challenging than one on the rear). Piece of cake!
I actually learned to back a trailer w a 32' dove gooseneck on a ball on a front end loader. Then was told if going backwards the turn directions are exactly opposite
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #18076
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,506
Liked 246 Times on 180 Posts

Default

I have not drove one in 30 years, but I always found it easier to back up a 50 foot trailer (18wheeler) than a small trailer behind a pickup. But I can do both pretty well. Not as good as I like on the narrow boat ramps when it completely disappears

Also been packing a knife in my pocket since I was 5 but I've had a numb finger for the last ten years because of a knife. Never had any accident with power tools.
kycol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #18077
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I have not drove one in 30 years, but I always found it easier to back up a 50 foot trailer (18wheeler) than a small trailer behind a pickup. But I can do both pretty well. Not as good as I like on the narrow boat ramps when it completely disappears

Also been packing a knife in my pocket since I was 5 but I've had a numb finger for the last ten years because of a knife. Never had any accident with power tools.
You are right too on the bigger the easier.
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #18078
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1415 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default

They call me jack knive at work. :-[
__________________
NEVER FORGET
downsouth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #18079
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I actually learned to back a trailer w a 32' dove gooseneck on a ball on a front end loader. Then was told if going backwards the turn directions are exactly opposite
Yup. Same concept as a forklift. takes a bit to adjust from a front-steer to a rear steer push vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I have not drove one in 30 years, but I always found it easier to back up a 50 foot trailer (18wheeler) than a small trailer behind a pickup. But I can do both pretty well. Not as good as I like on the narrow boat ramps when it completely disappears

Also been packing a knife in my pocket since I was 5 but I've had a numb finger for the last ten years because of a knife. Never had any accident with power tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
You are right too on the bigger the easier.
The shorter the wheel base on the tow vehicle and the longer the wheelbase to the trailer wheels the easier it is to maneuver. Big rigs with a single long trailer is much easier to back up than an F-350 long bed crew cab with a log splitter on the bumper (OK, even if you can see the log splitter in both mirrors, it is still a more difficult combination to back up).
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #18080
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Yup. Same concept as a forklift. takes a bit to adjust from a front-steer to a rear steer push vehicle.

The shorter the wheel base on the tow vehicle and the longer the wheelbase to the trailer wheels the easier it is to maneuver. Big rigs with a single long trailer is much easier to back up than an F-350 long bed crew cab with a log splitter on the bumper (OK, even if you can see the log splitter in both mirrors, it is still a more difficult combination to back up).
I used to back doubles all the time when I was OTR. That's a 35' and a 15'. Why I got stuck w them squirrely batards is beyond me. Ill take a goose neck/5th wheel ANY DAY over bumper hitch
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 73 04-06-2016 09:15 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 10:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 04:47 PM