Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #18061
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2998 Times on 1672 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

But you know how to use the power tools. I'm not exactly sure the proper way to use a power saw or how to secure what I'm cutting, etc. I would have to watch someone using one for a while to learn the right way.

Air tools? Cripes, I could only dream of that. I'm not even sure what they are or if I'd ever have any use for them. I don't think I would.
Yeah, that's a good point, I would never say to use a tool you don't know how to use properly

Air tools run on compressed air, they're like power tools but better. they usually have higher revolutions and more torque than electric tools.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #18062
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But you know how to use the power tools. I'm not exactly sure the proper way to use a power saw or how to secure what I'm cutting, etc. I would have to watch someone using one for a while to learn the right way.

Air tools? Cripes, I could only dream of that. I'm not even sure what they are or if I'd ever have any use for them. I don't think I would.
Winds, the key to using a power tool safely is respect. You have to respect them like you do a gun. You have to know that they are dangerous, and they can hurt you. This must never leave your mind. I'm not saying to fear them, but I'm not saying to get overly confortable with them either.
Watch some woodworking videos on youtube. They will show you have to sefely use those tools.

Here's a few of my favorite channels.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoodWhisperer

http://www.youtube.com/user/InTheWorkshop

If you want something more in-depth, search for something lik "how to safe you (insert tool here)"

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #18063

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I agree. I think my 'danger' is not enough knowledge. Just like you wouldn't put a gun in the hands of someone who's never been instructed how to handle one properly. That's me with a power saw.
Exactly what kind of saw is it? Miter, circular, table?

See post above.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #18064
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5640 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 5999

Ive often wondered if opening a business to teach basic hand and power tool use and homeowner repair tasks would be a good idea. So many Men and Women out there that really never got taught how to do this stuff, me and my friends were taught at a very young age. Its got to be a bear to try to pay someone else to do this stuff, hard to see many folks as homeowners without huge debt if they cant.

Winds, I wish I lived near you cause You and I could cut, build and hang those shelves before the noon whistle and we could go shootin in the afternoon. Do you have BOCES or a Technical Training center near you, some of them give some great short courses and you would be building safely and confidently in no time.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #18065
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7744 Times on 4473 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

Quote:
Well, I don't build much but I do household repairs when and if I can. I thought a saw would come in handy.......like when I wanted to put those shelves up in my garage. I do have some power tools, my favorite being my Skil Drill with lots of bells and whistles. But the saw just scares me. I don't think I know how to properly use it and I don't have saw horses or a vice to hold whatever I'm trying to cut.

Yeah, sure, I can get hurt with my drill, but not like I could with a saw.
Back in the early '70's my Dad was working on building our house by himself and with no telephone in the mountains and he somehow managed to pinch the blade on the circular hand saw he was using, cutting his leg pretty much from above the kneecap nearly to his groin. He pulled his T-shirt off and tied it around his leg to close the wound, then locked up the tools and closed the work site down before driving himself 1/2 hour down to the hospital emergency room. It took over 300 stitches to close him up, fortunately he didn't hit any major blood vessels. He never called and said anything about what had happened, he just showed up at home an hour or two later than expected with what was left of his bloody jeans (which had been cut off him in the ER) and in a bloody hospital gown and told us what had happened.

Be careful with those power tools!

I have never really been injured by power tools, but I did filet the back of my hand with a machete once. I tried just now to take a pic of the scar but I can't get one without washing out the image with the flash. I did get a pic of a pretty good buck outside though- on the pic thread in a minute or so.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #18066

Liked 967 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I am going to open a school for learning how to back up with boats and trailers .
I can back a boat while eating a taco on the phone using only one mirror

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #18067
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I am going to open a school for learning how to back up with boats and trailers .
well i can do it with one eye closed, eating a sub, in the dark....
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #18068

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post

Ill take you up on that bet bubba. I'm good at backing trailers but I doubt I'm in mobiles league.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #18069
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2998 Times on 1672 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

Haha, I can back a 53 foot van trailer in high gear, and I look damn good doing it.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #18070

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
I parallel parked a gooseneck trailer hauling two tractors right in the middle of downtown Dallas.

It was about 90% luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

Never a good idea to be putting things, especially long cylindrical things, in your mouth, in the dark. Knowing is half the battle.