Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #18051
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6675 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 7938

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Love my power and air tools, they make building a breeze, my guess is that I have at least 20 tools with power cords and Batteries and at least 8 with air compressor fittings, still have all digits attached (Knock on wood). I cant imagine the guys building my 3500 Sq ft house back in 1815, must have been a real bear.
Well, I don't build much but I do household repairs when and if I can. I thought a saw would come in handy.......like when I wanted to put those shelves up in my garage. I do have some power tools, my favorite being my Skil Drill with lots of bells and whistles. But the saw just scares me. I don't think I know how to properly use it and I don't have saw horses or a vice to hold whatever I'm trying to cut.

Yeah, sure, I can get hurt with my drill, but not like I could with a saw.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #18052

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My mom tried to perform open heart surgery on herself with a grinder. At least, that's what it looked like.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #18053
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm usually OK with power tools; the only stitches i've ever gotten (aside from some dental work) were to fix my thumb after a razor scraper incident in high school. I finished the trophy order before going to the hospital, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #18054
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2901 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Well, I don't build much but I do household repairs when and if I can. I thought a saw would come in handy.......like when I wanted to put those shelves up in my garage. I do have some power tools, my favorite being my Skil Drill with lots of bells and whistles. But the saw just scares me. I don't think I know how to properly use it and I don't have saw horses or a vice to hold whatever I'm trying to cut.

You can get hurt with a screw driver... I put one through the palm of my hand once.

I've never hurt myself with my power or air tools.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #18055
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2725 Posts
Likes Given: 5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

I dont blame you for being cautious, yes you need saw horses and or a big bench and clamps or that saw can be a Grizzly Bear!

I would start with a Nerf Circular Saw Blade, if that goes OK, Move up to a nice sharp Carbide, the dull steel teeth really make a hell of a mess!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #18056
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2901 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
I dont blame you for being cautious, yes you need saw horses and or a big bench and clamps or that saw can be a Grizzly Bear!

I would start with a Nerf Circular Saw Blade, if that goes OK, Move up to a nice sharp Carbide, the dull steel teeth really make a hell of a mess!
I think the reason I've never been hurt with any power tools or pneumatic tools is I am more careful with them.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 11-29-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #18057
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
You can get hurt with a screw driver... I put one through the palm of my hand once.

I've never hurt myself with my power or air tools.
But you know how to use the power tools. I'm not exactly sure the proper way to use a power saw or how to secure what I'm cutting, etc. I would have to watch someone using one for a while to learn the right way.

Air tools? Cripes, I could only dream of that. I'm not even sure what they are or if I'd ever have any use for them. I don't think I would.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #18058
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Today is my future DIL's birthday. My son woke up at 0445 to make her pancakes, sausage, eggs and toast. There was a bouquet of lillies on the breakfast tray. He sent flowers to her work (us ladies like that so we can 'show off' our significant other sent us flowers). And she's getting a smart phone upgrade today.

My son is awesome. But then again, we'll check back after they've been married 15 years. LOL My future DIL is a lovely young lady and I like her very much.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #18059
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

It's been my experience that you are more likely to be hurt with a hand tool, than a power tool. The reason for this is because we are more careful around power tools because we know they can eff us up bad. Most hand tools can't hurt us as bad as a power tool can.
That's not to say hand tools can't eff us up too. and awe can easilly go all the way through your hand, and a chisel can easily cut deep enough to expose bone (ever here the term scary sharp? On a chisel, that means you can SHAVE with it)

Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #18060
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It's been my experience that you are more likely to be hurt with a hand tool, than a power tool. The reason for this is because we are more careful around power tools because we know they can eff us up bad. Most hand tools can't hurt us as bad as a power tool can.
That's not to say hand tools can't eff us up too. and awe can easilly go all the way through your hand, and a chisel can easily cut deep enough to expose bone (ever here the term scary sharp? On a chisel, that means you can SHAVE with it)
I agree. I think my 'danger' is not enough knowledge. Just like you wouldn't put a gun in the hands of someone who's never been instructed how to handle one properly. That's me with a power saw.