Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1800
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #17991
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

dont worry it wont wrap.. just simply disintergrate on impact.
There ya go. He already has the worst luck of any living human being (I say "living" because most people would be dead with his luck). So go ahead and make him feel REALLY good...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #17992

Liked 1340 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 806

i think its time for momma's words of wisdom.

my momma said" God wont give you more than you can handle, but it may be challenging."
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #17993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82
In the Human Body...all cells replenish and rejuvinate while previous ones die off. A perpetual process...so I am different from my birth. The question I have is...Am I still me?

Once that question is answered we can move on to the Bonus Question;
If you jump in the air in the aisle of a jetliner...Why doesn't the plane smack you in the azz??
Yes, you're you, but you aren't you, in almost the exact same ways. Neural cells don't rejuvenate the same way other cells do. And your memories and experiences are what forms your personality (along with chemicals and hormones). But the rest of your body is practically NOT the same body you were born with. Amazing.

And you don't get smacked in the ass by the airplane because of momentum. The same laws of physics that throw you through a windshield in a car accident.

In a plane, if you jump, your still moving forward at the same rate as the plane, except whatever small amount of forward or rearward momentum you gain on your own. Your direction changes as you come down, and you do get impacted by the sudden stop when your feet hit the floor again. This impact equals your mass times acceleration by the speed of gravity.

By the same token, because a body in motion tends to stay in motion, when you wreck your car, the car stops. But the occupants inside trend to keep moving forward until they too are stopped. By a seatbelt or airbag hopefully.
People Like This 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #17994
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Heck with that, I'll spray paint them dayglo orange and green. We have a huge open horse pasture behind our place. That will greatly reduce the chances of losing them.
Painting them works sometimes. But not when the skip off of the target and land downrange underneath the grass or bury themselves underground just 1/8 of an inch. Our archery range just et up arrows like nobody's business!

Quote:
I WAS going to be working for .45 ACP, but the guy turns out to live too far away for it to be worth my time and gas. I edited my post to say "in or nearby West Monroe"

Does no good at all to drive for 2 hours to rake a lawn, collect one or two boxes of ammo, and drive 2 hours back. That's a minimum of 5 hours out of my day (depending on yard size), when I could work overtime instead. But when I have cash, I tend to spend it on more important things, like, gas, food, rent... stuff like that.
Bummer. Too bad it didn't work out. A year or so ago I "inherited" a bunch of reloading gear including a couple of gunny sacks full of .45 ACP. I gave it all to a friend of mine. He fired two rounds of it and gave it back. Those were some HOT loads! I have since pulled all of them and have the primed brass set aside waiting until I get my 1911 so I can load them up for it. I would have traded you some yard work for those two sacks full of ammo. Of course my yard consists of 20 acres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I still remember getting a red fiberglass bow when i was a kid. It was an awesome babysitter; i would stay busy looking for my arrows for hours. Now they have light-up nocks. If you do get him a bow, explain gravity and wind and how shooting straight up is unwise and that the arrow is faster than yelling "duck". It was safer than the lawn darts.

IIRC, it was a Bear brand bow. Something like this: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Bear-Crusader-Bow-Set&i=430019&aID=511A4&merchID=4006

Might want to start off with pingpong balls on the tip.
One of my early experiences with a bow involved my brother, a friend and me. My brother giot the bright idea to shoot an arrow straight up. As it went out of sight he yelled "run!" (Note: Running is not the right thing to do. The odds against coming down within a few feet of where it was fired from are astronomical)

We all 3 ran in different directions. My brother ran into the arrow as it came down, it punctured his shirt and left a burn mark on his collarbone.

I have told my sons this story many times over. NEVER, EVER fire an arrow (or anything else for that matter) straight up in the air. And if you ever do, DON'T MOVE!!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #17995

Liked 769 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
In a plane, if you jump, your still moving forward at the same rate as the plane, except whatever small amount of forward or rearward momentum you gain on your own. Your direction changes as you come down, and you do get impacted by the sudden stop when your feet hit the floor again. This impact equals your mass times acceleration by the speed of gravity.
Nice answer!! and appreciated... I was sort of expecting...'because life is not a cartoon Sonic'.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #17996
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
In the Human Body...all cells replenish and rejuvinate while previous ones die off. A perpetual process...so I am different from my birth. The question I have is...Am I still me?
Yes. I think. Therefore I am. I think.

Quote:
If you jump in the air in the aisle of a jetliner...Why doesn't the plane smack you in the azz??
Try this. Drive down the road and toss a ball up in the air and let it fall.

Then toss it up and hit the brakes when it is at its apogee.

Then toss it up and swerve to the right.

What happened?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #17997
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

I am certainly not the me who came into this world; i haven't crapped myself in quite a while...not sober anyways.

That second question is why they quit discriminating against chunky stewardesses.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #17998

Viking, I would happily rake 20 acres (and yes, I know how big 20 acres is), for two gunny sacks of ammo!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #17999
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The turbo tractor is cool, but i wouldn't do donuts on something i was the top of.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #18000

Liked 1415 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:

After meeting you Sonic, I assure you are still you. Second question is relative in nature of the answer.