Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #17271
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Those are mininights(sp?). BIG difference
Mininights can drive. We have a few around here, and we see them at Walmart a lot.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #17272
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I have to admire the Amish and the Meteorites lol , Wish I could get back to the basics and live off the land . I bet the happiest humans on earth live in the jungle by the amazon or on some small island in the pacific . No currency , No big goverment , no cars , nothing , just live off the land and take ONLY what they need to survive and respect nature , guess thats the liberal bone talking in me .
I hate PETA and I dislike opossums , they are fun to hit with a car though and Im sure gello wished they would have a bear drop lmao

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. — A possum drop that attracts thousands of people to a tiny town in western North Carolina each New Year's Eve may have had its last hurrah after a judge ruled Tuesday that a state agency didn't have the authority to issue a permit for the event.

"Citizens are prohibited from capturing and using wild animals for pets or amusement," Judge Fred Morrison wrote in his ruling. "Hunters must afford wild animals the same right Patrick Henry yearned for: 'Give me liberty, or give me death!"

The ruling would end a 19-year tradition of suspending a possum in see-through box covered with holiday tinsel and lowering it to the ground at midnight. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals had sued the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, which issues the permit for the event, saying it's illegal and cruel.

The commission has 30 days to appeal Morrison's decision to Superior Court. A spokesman said the agency will decide whether to appeal after reviewing the 18-page ruling.

Clay Logan, who owns Logan Corner store, manages the event, which attracts 2,000 to 3,000 people annually to the tiny hamlet. The commission "had no authority to issue any permit to Logan for the unlawful public display of a native wild animal" at the drop, Morrison wrote.

Logan said the possum drop will continue in some form, although he won't break the law. This challenge by PETA marks at least the third time that someone has challenged the drop, he said.

"I figured sooner or later they'd get somebody to rule on their side," he said. "It's like a football game. If you play somebody long enough, you're going to beat them eventually."

He started the drop 21 years ago, but only family and friends from the store attended the first two events. He said he got the idea after someone suggested that since the possum is Brasstown's mascot of sorts, the town should have a live animal drop similar to the dropping of the ball in Times Square.

"This thing is more of an opinion than anything," he said. "If's harming the possum in any way, it's just an opinion. Evidently, they got a judge that had the same opinion they did."

Logan didn't meet the requirements for a captivity license or permit so the commission circumvented its duty and invented a new permit called a "temporary possession and release permit," the judge said.

Morrison wrote that although the commission claims to have issued such permits in the past, it produced no evidence to prove that it had. The temporary permit allowed Logan to keep the possum for several weeks and to exhibit the animal before it was release.

Logan's sportsman license only allowed him to take the animal, not possess and exhibit it, Morrison wrote. He was in possession of a wild-captured animal from at least Dec. 15, 2011, through Jan. 1, 2012, Morrison said.

PETA was pleased with the ruling. "Compassionate citizens can now look forward to a kinder celebration at Clay's Corner this New Year's Eve," PETA spokesman David Perle said in an email.

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #17273
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3037 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

So you and Walt's moving in w your parents?????
I don't think he's as patient as my sister-in-law... That could get real ugly real quick...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #17274

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

I don't think he's as patient as my sister-in-law... That could get real ugly real quick...
Ya it could.....and that could be really nasty

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #17275
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
PETA was pleased with the ruling. "Compassionate citizens can now look forward to a kinder celebration at Clay's Corner this New Year's Eve," PETA spokesman David Perle said in an email.
I guess it would be legal to kill a possum, taxidermificate it, and drop the carcass? Maybe they should go that way, and then they could display the carcass afterwards.

Menonites have a reputation as good farm help around here, but they are few and far between locally. Amish have gotten a bad reputation for running puppy mills; there was another story about some amish guy losing 50 feces-coated fidos yesterday on yahoo news.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-14-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #17276
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Amish have gotten a bad reputation for running puppy mills; there was another story about some amish guy losing 50 feces-coated fidos yesterday on yahoo news.
I have heard this about the Amish, too. I also read they "debark" the puppy mill breeding dogs by shoving sticks down the dog's throat to ruin their vocal cords. It breaks my heart to read this......

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7187712&page=1#.UKPkkZHQEkQ

Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #17277
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

On a happier note.........I want one of these in my front yard. They make me smile.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #17278

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
On a happier note.........I want one of these in my front yard. They make me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__Jcec3QYI
Well you can get one here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GznhT__PXs

Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #17279
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7832 Times on 4521 Posts
Likes Given: 10087

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__Jcec3QYI
What would you have it say? I'm thinking make it look like an ICBM!

On those pups, they will be ready to give away in January. Will Fed Ex work for you?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #17280

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

After 28 days of bull**** I'm in the crew van headed to the office then home! He'll yeah!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

winds-of-change Likes This