Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #16601
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Matter of principal man. It was very clearly marked $2.99. Even had a date on the label from June. They've had plenty of time to catch it.

If I wanted to go through the expense, I could have hired a lawyer. That's false advertisement, of some "bait and switch" variety. Recognized legally all across the country that if a product is marked at a certain price, that's the price the consumer should expect to pay. Not including uncle scam's cut of course.

I've gotten cigarettes for less than 50 cents over this. I saw a sign that said "Marlboros: $.499 per pack". If they put the decimal in the wrong place, or left off a number, it's their screw up. Now, in that case, if they were labeled inside the store as $4.99, that would be a different story, but they weren't, they didn't have a tag at all inside the store. I pushed the matter, argued with the manager, he caved. Then I offered to fix his sign, and did, for free
We had to override prices at Auto Zone sometimes for that reason.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #16602
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Well, I am a small business owner so I do sympathize with the shop owner. I would have given him more than $4 but less than the $22,99.
Hey, I sympathize with the guy to an extent, but I keep in mind, this was a PAWN SHOP. I don't want to offend you, if that's what your running, but they pretty much make their living on taking advantage of people's hard times by giving them 5th rate prices (many times as little as 1% of an item's value), and reselling them for usually very little difference from a new price.

It's why I usually don't frequent such establishments. I only stopped today on a whim.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #16603
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

Oh my God really? That's one of my favorite movies, I'll bring it when I come in January...
That would work out great, I have no TV, only a laptop. Means we'll have to sit real close together to watch it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #16604
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7301 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9408

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Hey, I sympathize with the guy to an extent, but I keep in mind, this was a PAWN SHOP. I don't want to offend you, if that's what your running, but they pretty much make their living on taking advantage of people's hard times by giving them 5th rate prices (many times as little as 1% of an item's value), and reselling them for usually very little difference from a new price.

It's why I usually don't frequent such establishments. I only stopped today on a whim.
No offense taken, I'm a farmer. Right now I'm sitting here at the farm stand selling chestnuts while customers harvest the crops, then I take their money. I get cheap asses all the time, had one this morning, she asked the price, I told her $6 a pound and she says "I can get it at the store for $2.99 (I hear this all the time.)

I replied with, OK, so you go to the store and buy 2 pounds and get them home, half of them are rotten so you throw them away. You just paid $5.98 a pound for that 1 remaining pound and they still are no good, those are a modern hybrid that tastes like garbage.

You get them here and you pick out every single one, so if there is a rotten one in the bunch it's your fault, not mine. Mine are fresh off the 150-year-old trees, not frozen hybrids off the ship from China.

You want $2.99 chestnuts then hit the road to the store. You want the best chestnuts on the planet, grab a bucket and get to work because the next guy is gonna get 'em if you don't.

Last year I had a guy standing in a line probably 15 or 20 people deep trying to bargain my price down. I told him to step aside for the next customer because I didn't have time for him at the moment. The guy behind him turns to me and asks if he can buy the A-hole's chestnuts (about 30 lbs of them) and he would pay $6 a pound for them. I turned to the A-hole and said "If you don't want to pay $6 a pound for those, this guy will. What's it gonna be?"

He paid.

Almost always Koreans too.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #16605

Can't say I have ever bought anything from a pawn shop. Mainly for the reasons that you state you don't like them. I have a buddy that owns one up in WA state. Never been there either. He is a perfect guy to be running a pawn shop. He looks like that skinny actor with the bulging eyes and bad teeth that usually plays a druggie. Forget his name though.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #16606

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Can't say I have ever bought anything from a pawn shop. Mainly for the reasons that you state you don't like them. I have a buddy that owns one up in WA state. Never been there either. He is a perfect guy to be running a pawn shop. He looks like that skinny actor with the bulging eyes and bad teeth that usually plays a druggie. Forget his name though.
Steve buscemi?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #16607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Steve buscemi?
Yup. That's the dude. Dead ringer for my buddy, Scott. Though Scott has better teeth. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and everything he is just a perfect pawn shop owner. I keep asking him to let me know if he gets any good guns in so I can go take a look but he never does let me know. I'll have to hit him up again.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #16608

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Yup. That's the dude. Dead ringer for my buddy, Scott. Though Scott has better teeth. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and everything he is just a perfect pawn shop owner. I keep asking him to let me know if he gets any good guns in so I can go take a look but he never does let me know. I'll have to hit him up again.
Maybe if you "hit him up" side the head w a......hammer handle he might member to let you know
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #16609

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

Quote:

He doesn't let you know because you will talk him down, because your friends.

Feral cat waterboarder

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #16610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Maybe if you "hit him up" side the head w a......hammer handle he might member to let you know
Maybe! Actually I should probably just send him a pic of a stack of cash and that would get his attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
He doesn't let you know because you will talk him down, because your friends.
True that! He knows me well enough to know that I can talk a polar bear out of his fur coat. Plus I know way more about guns than he will ever learn (he asks me questions from time to time.)