Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #15461
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 949 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 515

I have a old mobile server room , bout 20Lx8wx10H with a 1/4 thick steel floor with insulated walls that I have seriously considered burying . Not as simple as digging a hole , you need drains and ventilation and along with a another way out , also sewer and a water source would be nice . Making a storm shelter would be easy , making a bunker would be a pain . If it ever comes to it , Ill make my last stand and if its our time its our time , I dont much care to live in a post apocalyptic world . And if I did its going to be at sea or on a flat top

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #15462
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7666 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 9884

My thoughts on a rammed earth structure would be to build it roughly 3 feet below grade, with windowsills one foot above grade. In my case the structure would be built into a slope, carving out a pad of sorts by notching out the hillside and then using the earth removed from the pad to build up the walls. That way the entire structure would use primarily earth removed from the building site in the first place. The interior would be buttressed with forms during construction to make the interior flat and straight. Interior dividing walls (which would be very minimal) could be constructed afterwards using concrete block or wood frame. The roof would be the tough part as that would undoubtedly have to be engineered for safety (particularly because I am in active earthquake country). The floor would be slab concrete with radiant heat to supplement the passive temperature control provided by the earthen walls and sub-grade construction.

How's it sound so far?

The only difficult parts I can see are sealing the structure from moisture intrusion (particularly the roof) because rammed earth is susceptible to erosion from environmental exposure, and being able to maintain good shooting lanes, particularly on the side that would be built into the hillside.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #15463

Well viking , we could redneck one and bury a school bus
I have also seen some very very large tanks and drums , like in the area of 20across by 30 long
Could bury a cubicle but they are steel and would not last very long .
I have also thought of putting one in the hill side by the swamp but leaving the roof half covered and half exposed , it would make a cool club house for the kids

Huhhmm , there is a reason it cost 800 to rebuild carbs on early yamaha and mercury four strokes , 4 carbs and carb kits run 100ea then it takes 4 hrs to clean, rebuild and modify then another 10 hr to get the POS tuned .
Have these people ever heard of fuel stabilizer ?

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Last edited by MobileMarine; 09-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #15464

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Double yolked eggs rarely hatch. REALLY good for baking, tho. We get our eggs from a local farmer- yolks are ORANGE.
My wife cooks dinner for her chickens every night. Their own eggs, scrambled, seasoned with crushed shells, and topped with a finely-minced meat scraps du jour.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #15465

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

good - new condition, c-cans (steel shipping containers) run anywhere from $3500 - $5000 (used, insulated, stainless steel c-cans, or refrigerated units run on the higher end. reefer units don't have to work, just insulated ). i have played with the idea of gettin a few of these, weldin them together, and buryin them. i figured it up (from cu ft capacity i acquired while passing a 40footer on the road), and a 40ft one will hold approximately 17,700 gallons of water. i planned on buryin it and concretin the insides with 4-inches of concrete, and sealin it with a material called Blue Max:

CISTERNS & WATER TANKS

The surface must be clean, dry, and free of loose material. Fill all joints or cracks wider than 1/8 inch with Ames'® Blue Max trowel-grade.
It is important to seam tape all joints and cracks to avoid future cracking and leaking.
Ames'® Blue Max® may be brushed, rolled or sprayed. We recommend three gallons per 100 square feet for water containment. The application must be applied in a continuous, unbroken seal of a minimum dry thickness of no less than 30 mils (the thickness of a dime).

it would be set below my 3 other c-cans (which are fashioned, and welded into an 'H' pattern, and buried also).

ETA: standard 40ft dry freight container =

Maximum Gross Weight: 67,200 lbs.
Tare Weight: 7,782 lbs.
Payload: 59,417 lbs.
Capacity: 2,376 cu. ft.

can be stacked with loaded c-cans, up to 4 high..........so, 67,200lbs x 4 = 268,800lbs can be placed on top of one unit.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-27-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added weight and compression statistics
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #15466

Go buy a big sail boat for under 8k , no one ever uses them anyway . Like I said , I would find an island or a nice clean and big quarry with somewhat drinkable water , eat fish , if not then eat the local wildlife .
The again , if it comes down to it , ill just browse the forums and see who all has a bunker and where they are and what guns im up against
Well tell too much to total strangers these days
Anyone want the combo to my gun safe ?

DAMN IT ! time to get out the flaring tool , nothing is ever easy for me , Pull in a simple brake tongue change out on a boat , simple unbolt the old and bolt on the new and the dern brake line breaks and the skeeters are eating me alive , they keep biting my Mfing fingers ????

Last edited by MobileMarine; 09-27-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #15467
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Did you figure out your intake?
Mines not nearly that nice...
I'm not certain, but that looks like the tractor i learned to drive on when i was a youngster...does not float.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #15468
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Well viking , we could redneck one and bury a school bus
Or 42 busses. http://www.radmeters4u.com/arktwo/photoconstruct/photocon.htm

Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #15469
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2900 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I'm not certain, but that looks like the tractor i learned to drive on when i was a youngster...does not float.
That's funny, my Grandfather used to frequently, like every time, remind me that tractors don't float, probably because I sunk one a few times.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #15470
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
That's funny, my Grandfather used to frequently, like every time, remind me that tractors don't float, probably because I sunk one a few times.
VW beetles (the real ones) do float...for a while. Street tires make lousy paddle wheels though.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This