Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1546
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #15451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I was thinking of building a fall back shelter in woods behind my house for SHTF scenario. 1st off I've got 100 yds prop in woods and I live in a 1100 sq ft duplex. Any thoughts would be appreciated??? Thinking of felling trees any digging partial dugout and setting up firing lines towards house.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #15452

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad40cc
I was thinking of building a fall back shelter in woods behind my house for SHTF scenario. 1st off I've got 100 yds prop in woods and I live in a 1100 sq ft duplex. Any thoughts would be appreciated??? Thinking of felling trees any digging partial dugout and setting up firing lines towards house.
If you live in a duplex I would think you live in an urban setting. You may do better to route out several escape routes for vehicles and on foot.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #15453

Liked 1223 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Im wondering if the wife spiked any of my food with her colon blow mess after that comment I texted her . Nothing I hate worse that have to blow up the bathroom at 4am ...... then 5am then 6, 7 and 8am . I aint eating nothin or drinking else today
And Im getting sick again , got to coughing so bad after dropping the kids off I about puked in the parking lot and we all know coughing , gas and runs dont mix well , its a perfect recipe for a disaster .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #15454
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad40cc View Post
I have been considering something similar. Recently I am thinking of making a rammed earth structure using materials from my land. It has the advantages of thick earthen walls that act as excellent insulation in winter and summer, as well as a decent sound barrier and it will stand up to any small arms fire!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #15455
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9830

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I aint eating nothin or drinking else today
Do give your body a rest from food but do NOT stop drinking. Small sips of water or Gatorade is good for you. You can't let yourself get dehydrated and in your condition, it will sneak up on you fast.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #15456

If you live in a duplex I would think you live in an urban setting. You may do better to route out several escape routes for vehicles and on foot.

It's semi urban. However I'm at the end of cul du sac with about a mile of woods behind me I own a hund yds of woods directly behind me The fall back shelter would be temp in case my street got over run. I do have a perm spot 15 miles away

Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #15457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I have been considering something similar. Recently I am thinking of making a rammed earth structure using materials from my land. It has the advantages of thick earthen walls that act as excellent insulation in winter and summer, as well as a decent sound barrier and it will stand up to any small arms fire!
Sounds good Go for it. I would suggest get family or if u trust your neighbor maybe get them involved

Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #15458
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Obama's school of thought......

Random thought, the gubment is going to pay your bills and the cost of you to go back to school. So what are you majoring in...... Philosophy........And your second major....... Ughhhhhhh....... Obama's skool of thowt.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #15459

Liked 807 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
Here it is, my newest toy. Rained every day now
Did you figure out your intake?
Mines not nearly that nice...
107_5978.jpg  

Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #15460

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Quote:

It's semi urban. However I'm at the end of cul du sac with about a mile of woods behind me I own a hund yds of woods directly behind me The fall back shelter would be temp in case my street got over run. I do have a perm spot 15 miles away

make sure your "shootin lanes" do not point back to your hide. you can make shootin lanes by simply "limbing" trees up. cuttin too much, and makin the lanes "noticeable" to an outside force, makes you a sittin duck. but what if the "zombies" come from the other way? you have no "shootin lanes" cuz you would be cuttin on someone else's property. make sure you can fall back either way tho, cuz property won't mean squat when you're runnin for your life.

first: if you must cut/fell any trees, i would first choose "a spot of least shootin" resistance for my hide/shelter. that way few if any trees need to be cleared;

second: only clear away minor details from your shootin lanes, cut larger trees as a last resort. like i said, clearin too much will leave you as vulnerable as a sittin duck. more cover for them, also means more cover for you..........bullets can fly both ways down a good shootin lane;

third: and most importantly, MAKE SURE you have an emergency egress plan, from whichever way the "zombies" come. you need to be able to abandon your shelter if you start to become overrun, and you will need ALL the cover that is there to do it safely.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This