Random Thoughts Thread - Page 147
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #1461
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
On a serious note, i keep wondering about combining a small car's alternator & some glassed fabric to make a lil windmill to generate electricity.
I've thought about this too. I figure if nothing else I can just use it to run a 12 volt heater in my basement. Every cent helps.

The problem I haven't figured out yet is how do you keep the heater from running when the battery starts to drain too much? I know I could make it disconnect once the battery voltage dropped below a set point, but as soon as the wind blew the alternator would put out enough voltage to make trip the "ON" set point, even though the heater would be pulling more juice than the alternator is putting out, thus it would continue to drain the battery.

Let me know if you try this Orangello. I'm interested to hear you're (or anyone else's) results.

(Please exuse my spelling, my wifes computer doesn't have spell check.)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #1462

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

So for my 1000th post, I would like to state that my wife is off to work until 8 tomorrow. I have the house to myself, 12 cold ones in the fridge, ribs in the oven that have been slow cooking for 5 hours, and a chocolate cake in the fridge. My only debacle is which movie series to watch tonight. All six Star Wars, all four Matrix (that's right I said four), Lord Of The Rings, The Bourne series, The Transporter series, the Oceans series, or just Mel Brooks movies. Or do I just fondle, er... field strip my guns. Or both. I'm so torn.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #1463

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
So for my 1000th post, I would like to state that my wife is off to work until 8 tomorrow. I have the house to myself, 12 cold ones in the fridge, ribs in the oven that have been slow cooking for 5 hours, and a chocolate cake in the fridge. My only debacle is which movie series to watch tonight. All six Star Wars, all four Matrix (that's right I said four), Lord Of The Rings, The Bourne series, The Transporter series, the Oceans series, or just Mel Brooks movies. Or do I just fondle, er... field strip my guns. Or both. I'm so torn.
Make sure that the ammo is in the safe before you get on the outside of too many of those cold ones!

I'm just sayin'. Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House

Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House on the 1K!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-23-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #1464

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Really? There's 4 Matrix movie's? I've only seen 1 and 2. What's the names of the other 2? I would like to rent them.

Personaly, I like to watch zombi movies when my wifes away for the evening. She hates that sort of stuff. I just laugh at them...then go to bed and pull the coveres over my head.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #1465

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Make sure that the ammo is in the safe before you get on the outside of too many of those cold ones!

I'm just sayin'.
Its the law in MA to keep ammo separate from guns, so I'm already almost set. I just need to clear my carry gun. I'm also smarter than the average idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Really? There's 4 Matrix movie's? I've only seen 1 and 2. What's the names of the other 2? I would like to rent them.
Answering this gives a glimpse into my nerd side.
Before The Matrix (the original), there's an anime movie called, The Animatrix. Its the prequel, and its all anime. Even if you don't like anime, which I don't, you will still like The Animatrix. Its a fantastic prequel and explains a LOT. Its also pretty gruesome.

Prequel - The Animatrix
1st - The Matrix
2nd - The Matrix Reloaded
3rd - The Matrix Revolutions

Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've thought about this too. I figure if nothing else I can just use it to run a 12 volt heater in my basement. Every cent helps.

The problem I haven't figured out yet is how do you keep the heater from running when the battery starts to drain too much? I know I could make it disconnect once the battery voltage dropped below a set point, but as soon as the wind blew the alternator would put out enough voltage to make trip the "ON" set point, even though the heater would be pulling more juice than the alternator is putting out, thus it would continue to drain the battery.

Let me know if you try this Orangello. I'm interested to hear you're (or anyone else's) results.

(Please exuse my spelling, my wifes computer doesn't have spell check.)
That simple V = on/off algorithm would be easy to program in an inexpensive IC to run the heater B+ circuit. Tango get on it! Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #1467

Quote:
Its the law in MA to keep ammo separate from guns, so I'm already almost set. I just need to clear my carry gun. I'm also smarter than the average idiot.
Sorry Dan, I didn't mean to go full Dad on ya! Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House

- orangello

Old 04-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #1468

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Besides Losing the ammo, unplug the computer.

Friends don't let friends post drunk!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #1469

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

And Cane
Thanks for the bunker assist with Jolene. Very well done.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #1470

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
That simple V = on/off algorithm would be easy to program in an inexpensive IC to run the heater B+ circuit. Tango get on it! Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House
Yes Tango get on it (PLEASE) and when you're done, send me the IC and a bill...and a schematic...it's been several years since I've done any electronic design, and I never really got past discreat componet design then. I've no idea really how to program an IC.

Also Tango, you were the first person I thought of when my HD crashed. Is there any chance of saving the 10 years of pics I have on it?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!