Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1349
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #13481
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8276 Times on 4782 Posts
Likes Given: 10703

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Not in my case. I put $200 every week in a savings account. I have enough to buy about 1/4 of a house. I plan on paying cash for my home. So it is actually cheaper for me to rent...even if it were for 10 years opposed to paying interest on a loan. If I rent for 10 years(which I won't...but lets say I do) my rent for 10 years would be $33,000. And I know some of you might think...well what if my rent goes up? Well I am renting from my old ladies family, so I doubt it. That would still be cheaper than the interest you would pay over the traditional 30 home loan. I am thinking that I will have enough saved for a home in the next 3 years though..
Jordan,
I would seriously consider going to the library and checking out a book on home wiring and seeing if you can learn how to do it yourself. Not suggesting you tackle it without knowing what you are doing, but if you can learn basic wiring you might be able to at least troubleshoot it and when the landlord gets somebody out there to fix it you can see if you are right about what it would have taken. That's pretty much how I have learned what I know. These days I fix most all of my own homeowner stuff. Very rarely do I have to ask for advice from anyone.

Also, as a landlord, my renters get cheap rent partially because they can fix stuff themselves and don't bother me with piddling stuff. That makes for a good tenant. A buddy of mine has a rental in town where the tenant is a plumber, the tenant did a complete copper re-pipe on the place and didn't charge anything for materials. My buddy started to complain because the repairs were done without a permit and all but I told him to shut up and accept it as a gift. I think he was wise to do so.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #13482
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Jordan,
I would seriously consider going to the library and checking out a book on home wiring and seeing if you can learn how to do it yourself. Not suggesting you tackle it without knowing what you are doing, but if you can learn basic wiring you might be able to at least troubleshoot it and when the landlord gets somebody out there to fix it you can see if you are right about what it would have taken. That's pretty much how I have learned what I know. These days I fix most all of my own homeowner stuff. Very rarely do I have to ask for advice from anyone.

Also, as a landlord, my renters get cheap rent partially because they can fix stuff themselves and don't bother me with piddling stuff. That makes for a good tenant. A buddy of mine has a rental in town where the tenant is a plumber, the tenant did a complete copper re-pipe on the place and didn't charge anything for materials. My buddy started to complain because the repairs were done without a permit and all but I told him to shut up and accept it as a gift. I think he was wise to do so.
I have found a couple books online. My landlord had left some spare breakers in the closet by my breaker box...I went ahead and changed it. I haven't had any trips since I posted last night. Hopefully it stays that way. And yes I do a lot of my own repairs and such, I enjoy it and it also keeps my landlord away from here. As I said before, he is a bit of a moron. He also will talk your ear off lol.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #13483
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7105 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 8623

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Congrats on the weather winds
Thanks. I feel like I can breathe again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Generally, yes. But $275 for a 4 bedroom farm house in the country? That's not bad at all. And some people (like me) get laughed at when trying to finance a large purchase like a house, so we simply do what we can.
Trip, I think you have a good thing going for renting that cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
Exactly Trip. Not everyone has great credit etc. Plus some people like to rent because it affords them the opportunity to move without selling something and makes them not responsible for large repairs. We own our house, but in this market it would never sell so we're staying put.
You're right ZG. There are times when I feel my house is eating me alive with repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Not in my case. I put $200 every week in a savings account. I have enough to buy about 1/4 of a house. I plan on paying cash for my home. So it is actually cheaper for me to rent...even if it were for 10 years opposed to paying interest on a loan. If I rent for 10 years(which I won't...but lets say I do) my rent for 10 years would be $33,000. And I know some of you might think...well what if my rent goes up? Well I am renting from my old ladies family, so I doubt it. That would still be cheaper than the interest you would pay over the traditional 30 home loan. I am thinking that I will have enough saved for a home in the next 3 years though..
Jordan, I think you have a good plan there. But, not everyone can put away $200/week. I know I sure couldn't. But you are on the right track with a great plan. You are correct your rent would be cheaper than paying interest on a mortgage over many years.

I am excited my house will be paid off in April 2013. I'm almost there.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #13484
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats Winds on your house almost being paid off. That rocks!!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #13485

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Thanks. I feel like I can breathe again.

Trip, I think you have a good thing going for renting that cheap.

You're right ZG. There are times when I feel my house is eating me alive with repairs.

Jordan, I think you have a good plan there. But, not everyone can put away $200/week. I know I sure couldn't. But you are on the right track with a great plan. You are correct your rent would be cheaper than paying interest on a mortgage over many years.

I am excited my house will be paid off in April 2013. I'm almost there.
Yeah, $200 a week is not for everyone. I have cut back a lot on my spending. But it will be worth it when I am in my house and have no house payment. And congrats on almost being done with your house payments!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #13486
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't gone for a ride on my bike in years. Hopefully my bike doesn't crap out on me.......or me legs. Haha

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #13487

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Just pulled into sonic for a burger. Apparently there is a group of nudists that want to exercise their right to "open carry" so to speak... In the little picnic area with the outdoor tables.

Lost my appetite. Nudists are always old wrinkly people it seems...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #13488

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Just pulled into sonic for a burger. Apparently there is a group of nudists that want to exercise their right to "open carry" so to speak... In the little picnic area with the outdoor tables.

Um... indecent exposure? It CAN be quite liberating

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #13489

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Bet you just loved that view

Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #13490

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Bet you just loved that view
Ya know, I was doing okay until the old balding Santa Claus dropped the change he was pulling out of his Fanny pack.

Speaking of which, C3 is still in Virginia correct?