Random Thoughts Thread - Page 1348
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #13471
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89
I have had a breaker in my house trip two times today. It is one for my kitchen outlet and has my fridge and microwave plugged into it. The only thing running at the time it tripped was the fridge...I know breakers are a safety device and when they trip it shouldn't be ignored. What should I check for? When it tripped this last time I felt the breaker and cords to see if they were hot...they weren't. What else should I look for? I live in an old farm house and I am thinking it could just be a bad ground...any suggestions?
The first thing to check is it the proper size, should be a 20 amp breaker, and the wire size should be at least a 12awg , that being said if you haven't changed anything and it just started then check the connections at the breaker and at the receptacle over time as wires heat up and cool down they get Loose and simply need to be tightened. Aluminum is much worse than copper. Also if it has loosened look at the wire end where it makes the connection if it is black clean it shiny with some emery cloth and reinsert it tighten it down.

It also could be that the breaker is going bad but usually they only go bad after being tripped repeatedly. It could be that something has happened to the wire a nail or a rodent. Also there may be a light on the same circuit so a loose wire or even a loose bulb .
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #13472

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol

The first thing to check is it the proper size, should be a 20 amp breaker, and the wire size should be at least a 12awg , that being said if you haven't changed anything and it just started then check the connections at the breaker and at the receptacle over time as wires heat up and cool down they get Loose and simply need to be tightened. Aluminum is much worse than copper. Also if it has loosened look at the wire end where it makes the connection if it is black clean it shiny with some emery cloth and reinsert it tighten it down.

It also could be that the breaker is going bad but usually they only go bad after being tripped repeatedly. It could be that something has happened to the wire a nail or a rodent. Also there may be a light on the same circuit so a loose wire or even a loose bulb .
Don't misunderstand if it is not a 20 amp breaker say its only a 15amp you can't just put in a 20 amp in its place if the wire is not the proper size. Never ever
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #13473
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
In today's market, it's cheaper to buy..

I bought a condo in Las Vegas 18 months ago 2x2 1200 sqft for 35k all appliances included.

Renting is like fireworks, while fun its still lighting a match to you're money..
Sounds like what happened to our money from the house we bought in 2008 and sold in 2011 when we got transferred. Good thing my company makes up at least some of the loss on the sale of homes for transferees.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #13474
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8987

Quote:

I bought a condo in Las Vegas 18 months ago 2x2 1200 sqft for 35k all appliances included.

Renting is like fireworks, while fun its still lighting a match to you're money..
My son and his fiancee just bought a beautiful, large home in a very nice, very small town. They practically stole it from the sellers. It is definitely a buyers market. I got all excited and then wanted to sell my home and buy a new home when my son reminded me I probably wouldn't get a good price selling my house. Though my house is just months away from being paid off and it would be all profit I still wouldn't be getting what it's really worth.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #13475
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8987

In other news, the stretch of hot days finally ended. It has been >100 here all week. Last night it dropped down into the 70's and today it's only supposed to get into the mid 80's. I turned off the air conditioning and opened all the windows. It feels good.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #13476

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Congrats on the weather winds

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #13477

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

Generally, yes. But $275 for a 4 bedroom farm house in the country? That's not bad at all. And some people (like me) get laughed at when trying to finance a large purchase like a house, so we simply do what we can.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #13478
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Generally, yes. But $275 for a 4 bedroom farm house in the country? That's not bad at all. And some people (like me) get laughed at when trying to finance a large purchase like a house, so we simply do what we can.
Exactly Trip. Not everyone has great credit etc. Plus some people like to rent because it affords them the opportunity to move without selling something and makes them not responsible for large repairs. We own our house, but in this market it would never sell so we're staying put.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #13479
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8456 Times on 4899 Posts
Likes Given: 11022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Some parts of the house has updated wiring some parts no. My landlord is somewhat of a moron and does this all himself. He is a truck driver and won't be back in town for 4 days. Are you saying that a shorted wire in the walls is bad because it is a fire hazard or a pain in the ass to fix?
Both. More so because of the potential fire hazard though. Oftentimes when pulling wire for an upgrade the insulation will get stripped off in places and expose the copper, making for a serious potential for fire.

In my mothers lod house (built by my great-grandfather around 1900) the insulation is fabric and has deteriorated to the point where it is almost useless. That is what old farm houses had when electricity was installed (originally mom's house did not have any electricity).
Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #13480

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:

Not in my case. I put $200 every week in a savings account. I have enough to buy about 1/4 of a house. I plan on paying cash for my home. So it is actually cheaper for me to rent...even if it were for 10 years opposed to paying interest on a loan. If I rent for 10 years(which I won't...but lets say I do) my rent for 10 years would be $33,000. And I know some of you might think...well what if my rent goes up? Well I am renting from my old ladies family, so I doubt it. That would still be cheaper than the interest you would pay over the traditional 30 home loan. I am thinking that I will have enough saved for a home in the next 3 years though..

Everybody needs a little Devastation!