Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Random Thoughts Thread (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/random-thoughts-thread-11615/)

Axxe55 09-07-2013 05:23 AM

972 is a Texas area code and from the Dallas area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_214,_469,_and_972

trip286 09-07-2013 11:55 AM

So...
I have an American Cockroach problem in my new place. These are also known as "water bugs" and "palmetto bugs". Apparently, as I already suspected, these aren't like the German or Brown cockroaches that thrive in homes, these are the type that are just native to the type of environment my new home is located in: wet, humid, and hot (Bayou Deloutre is about a 1/4 mile away, and everything between home and bayou is low lying and damp). And they just happen to go inside homes...pretty much because they're there.

I've been doing some research, and I keep coming across Demon WP as THE MOST recommended insecticide.

I'm already going to bomb the hell out of my place. I'm also already planning on picking up some borax.

I'm bombing the house Sunday (tomorrow), and taking everything machine washable OUT of the house (Including drapes, dog bed, and shower curtains) to the landromat to wash while we wait for the bombs to dissipate. May have to go hang out at my sister's place for a few hours, because I'm gonna overdo it on the bombs (and nothing any of you say can persuade me otherwise. This is war. Call me Assad). After doing all the laundry, I'm going to go pick up the Borax, and use it accordingly when I get home. I'll be washing all the dishes, of course. Also, Sue's and Baron's toys and chew toys, and Baron's dog food, will be in my car, or stored here at work so that they don't get contaminated with the bombs (They're already in my car, and haven't been introduced into the new home at all yet. Actually, I didn't even pick this stuff up from the old place until last night, so they haven't had a chance to get infested yet)

This afternoon, evening, and tonight, I'll be spraying down every reachable surface with a high concentration bleach mixture and scrubbing the teetotal **** out of everything. I should have the cleanest house in the parish by the time I go to bed tonight.

So...

Anyone know anything about this Demon WP? I'm gonna go ahead and order the smaller package (less than ten bucks, supposed to be good for a total of 8 gallons of mixture (I'll be concentrating it stronger than that)). But, I'm thinking about the one pounder for later. It's a water soluble powder, active ingredient "cyclomethrin" (sp)

I found one site that has the best prices, and over 500 customer reviews on this one particular product alone. Many people are saying that the bigger package is a waste of money, because you just don't need it. One person claiming a severe infestation says the last time they applied the stuff was over two years previously and haven't had to reapply yet.

Oh, and just before anyone starts telling me all about it, I already know about the lifestyle habits to keep them from coming back, no need to waste your time telling me to wash the dishes and take the garbage out. These roaches were here before me, I've only been in the house a week. Was in my last place for just over a year and never had any, so it ain't my lifestyle. Just thought I'd throw that out there, because I find it insulting when everyone assumes that because you have roaches, you're trashy. But, of course I know where that train of thought comes from and completely understand it, because I've seen it myself. I've also seen some people's homes, and actually asked them... "How do you NOT have roaches?" :eek:

ETA: link to the product reviews page

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/demon-wp-insecticide-p-74.html?zmam=70093104&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=532&gclid =COm40dqWubkCFejm7Aod3HQAEg&sub_id=532

trip286 09-07-2013 12:06 PM

Fuggit, I'm getting the one pound can while I've got the money in my pocket.

Like I said, this is war. Gonna do it, gotta do it right. No ROEs.

Axxe55 09-07-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1360943)

good luck Trip! take no prisoners!:D

DeltaF 09-07-2013 12:20 PM

Live close enough to their habitat and there is no lifestyle habit that you can possibly adopt that will keep those giant southern cockroaches from coming in your house, short of a bug bomb and some roach spray. They come from the outside to the inside. Personally I think they're trying to catch some AC. Dad has a pest applicators license so we get the commercial stuff and wet everything down inside and out. They come in and die before they make it out of the room they first entered. But they still come in.

Then again I live in the middle of woods that go under a foot of water every time it rains, I'm less than a mile from the river and I have saw palmettos all over my yard.

Balota 09-07-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1360943)

Trip, it's already been said, but I'll repeat it anyway. One huge blast of insecticide is not as effective as multiple smaller blasts.

First, the greater the overkill of that one blast, the more likely you and Sue and Baron are to be poisoned by the excess material.

Second, the insecticide is often more effective at killing live insects than it is at killing their eggs. Find out what the life cycle of these insects is. If they take 2 weeks to hatch and 2 more to grow to the egglaying stage, treat once a week for 3 or 4 weeks.

You kill almost all of the live ones on the first blast. The second blast will get any that have hatched since the first, [/u]and get them before they can lay any more eggs[/u]. Repeat for a little longer than the total time from egglaying to hatching to take care of all the egg clutches laid at different times before you started.

You can still use the pound if you want, but spread it out over time to get them and all their children.

DeltaF 09-07-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balota
You kill almost all of the live ones on the first blast. The second blast will get any that have hatched since the first, and get them before they can lay any more eggs. Repeat for a little longer than the total time from egglaying to hatching to take care of all the egg clutches laid at different times before you started.

You can still use the pound if you want, but spread it out over time to get them and all their children.

If the product has a residual effect (kills over time) and kills eggs and larvae, you can apply it for as long as the residual effect is listed for without necessarily having to reapply it. The commercial products usually last longer than they are listed for.

trip286 09-07-2013 01:19 PM

Oh I wasn't planning on using the whole pound of mix. Recommended dosage for a house my size, I think, is only a few grams per gallon mixed with water in a standard garden sprayer. I'm gonna mix it a little hotter than recommended (I always do, with everything), and I'll apply it, and keep applying it, until I empty the sprayer (meaning I'll treat the same area twice or until the sprayer runs out, this stuff can't be stored anyway) No, using the whole pound is a little too much overkill even for me.

I'm readjusting my strategy for the bombs. Instead of 3 industrial strength bombs in the house, I'm using one in the center, one in the attic, and a third one under the house. After some thinking, and other member's advice, I did decide that enough bomb to treat 21,000 feet is just too much for ONLY the living areas of a 1K foot house.

Bleach and borax. And we have tons of house geckos around here, may relocate some to the exterior property. They'll probably come inside , but at least they LEAVE when the food runs out, instead of getting more invasive.

After some investigating, decided the spider I shot the other night is probably a huntsman spider. Size, tactics and food source point to it. They look like wolf spiders, eat big ass roaches, and are supposedly much more cunning and quite a bit larger than the average wolf spider. They average...about the size of the palm of the hand...the same size as the one I shot. I'd never seen a wolf spider bigger than a couple inches across before.

winds-of-change 09-07-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balota (Post 1360966)
Trip, it's already been said, but I'll repeat it anyway. One huge blast of insecticide is not as effective as multiple smaller blasts.

First, the greater the overkill of that one blast, the more likely you and Sue and Baron are to be poisoned by the excess material.

Second, the insecticide is often more effective at killing live insects than it is at killing their eggs. Find out what the life cycle of these insects is. If they take 2 weeks to hatch and 2 more to grow to the egglaying stage, treat once a week for 3 or 4 weeks.

You kill almost all of the live ones on the first blast. The second blast will get any that have hatched since the first, [/u]and get them before they can lay any more eggs[/u]. Repeat for a little longer than the total time from egglaying to hatching to take care of all the egg clutches laid at different times before you started.

I agree with this advice. I have had fleas in my house. They're a bitch to get rid of. Their life cycle is 21 days so that is how I applied the insecticide in my house. Ever since this flea problem, I religiously apply multi-stage flea repellent on my dogs and cat every month. Prevention is waaaay easier than trying to get rid of those little blood sucking fleas.

trip286 09-07-2013 01:29 PM

oh, I did find off brand stuff with a higher percentage of the same active ingredient for half the price. Oorah. Kill.