Random Questions Thread........ - Page 70
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #691
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3203 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

There is never any leak spots under my car when I park it. No leak puddles on the driveway.

I made an appointment to bring it in Thursday. I'll get a loaner car to get myself home..........where I won't be able to sleep because I'll be worried.

I just can't seem to get ahead. I want to buy the Henry Lever rifle that is waiting for me to come get it at the gun shop. But, noooo........I have to act like a responsible adult and get my car repaired so I can continue to go to work and earn money to repair the damned car that gets me to work so I can earn the money to repair the damned car..., etc. LOL

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTxr2NJHa0
I'd still go in with some idea, even if it's just something like, I'm having a hard time shifting and my clutch pedal feels squishy, I think it could be a hydraulic problem, you're a smart lady, but I think it's always better to at least have an idea rather than just, oh there's something wrong with my transmission I have no idea what it is...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #692
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8468

Maybe I'm missing something here but there is something I don't understand. Say, someone finds or buys a very old, rusted, beat up rifle. And they replace the barrel, replace the stock, replace the trigger, replace the bolt, etc. Then the person who fixed up this rifle says he refinished it. Did he really......or does he just have a whole new rifle? To me, refinishing it would mean cleaning off the rust, maybe replacing springs or whatever, refinishing the original wooden stock, etc. At what point have you refinished an old gun or totally replaced it and have a brand new gun?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #693

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Maybe I'm missing something here but there is something I don't understand. Say, someone finds or buys a very old, rusted, beat up rifle. And they replace the barrel, replace the stock, replace the trigger, replace the bolt, etc. Then the person who fixed up this rifle says he refinished it. Did he really......or does he just have a whole new rifle? To me, refinishing it would mean cleaning off the rust, maybe replacing springs or whatever, refinishing the original wooden stock, etc. At what point have you refinished an old gun or totally replaced it and have a brand new gun?
If its all replaced its NEW. Restoring it is cleaning it up and making it look good again. PERIOD

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #694
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8140 Times on 4699 Posts
Likes Given: 10510

Replacing all of those parts is fixing it up, or perhaps some would say restoring it, as long as the receiver is the same. You can refinish (as in re-blueing) the receiver and all the new parts so that they match but without the proper tools it is very difficult to do it so it looks good.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #695
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Replacing all of those parts is fixing it up, or perhaps some would say restoring it, as long as the receiver is the same. You can refinish (as in re-blueing) the receiver and all the new parts so that they match but without the proper tools it is very difficult to do it so it looks good.
So, what if the trigger group was changed, too? I don't understand at what point a refinished rifle just becomes a whole, new rifle.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #696

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
So, what if the trigger group was changed, too? I don't understand at what point a refinished rifle just becomes a whole, new rifle.
By law as long as it is the original reciever it never becomes a New rifle. At most shops Ive worked at or owned we would call one with a majority of new parts Refurbished as opposed to refinished which would be reworking the existing barrel,stock and internals. Most times refinishing would also include rebluing.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe

By law as long as it is the original reciever it never becomes a New rifle. At most shops Ive worked at or owned we would call one with a majority of new parts Refurbished as opposed to refinished which would be reworking the existing barrel,stock and internals. Most times refinishing would also include rebluing.
Exactly. Too bad people let guns get that far......then again its a good thing for people like me that they do otherwise we wouldn't have anything to do

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #698
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8140 Times on 4699 Posts
Likes Given: 10510

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
As far as the Feds are concerned it is just the stripped receiver (or the frame on your revolver, whatever the serial # is marked on) that is a "gun", it is not the sum of the parts. Trigger groups and all of the rest of the parts can be removed from the receiver and replaced and they would consider it the same gun. That is the legal side of it, but it only applies to firearms that have a serial number in the first place. Serial numbers were required on all firearms produced since 1969. Many guns produced prior to then have no numbers at all.

As a firearms enthusiast I would say if you replace a majority of the major parts and keep the receiver it is still a "new" (or maybe different) gun. The "finish" (as in "refinish") to me is just the surface treatment, like blueing, paint, Parkerizing, or what have you (or varnish on wood).

Its a matter of semantics really. Personally I would hope one would only have to change parts worn out through normal use.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #699

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a pretty stupid/newbie type question/request that I need help with.....please explain to me exactly what a 1911 model handgun is.

Originally, I was under the impression that it was a Colt firearm in .45 caliber. Then I started seeing other manufacturers making/selling 1911's. Then I started seeing all manufacturers selling them, and now not only in .45, but in all kinds of calibers. Now I see the term used so much that I am not sure exactly what it is anymore. My only guess, and it's far fetched, is that a 1911 pistol is a semi-auto that has a hammer (unlike all other semis) and can be made by anybody in a variety of calibers. The "hammer" aspect is the tell-tale sign of what a 1911 is compared to others. Correct ????

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb8568
I have a pretty stupid/newbie type question/request that I need help with.....please explain to me exactly what a 1911 model handgun is.

Originally, I was under the impression that it was a Colt firearm in .45 caliber. Then I started seeing other manufacturers making/selling 1911's. Then I started seeing all manufacturers selling them, and now not only in .45, but in all kinds of calibers. Now I see the term used so much that I am not sure exactly what it is anymore. My only guess, and it's far fetched, is that a 1911 pistol is a semi-auto that has a hammer (unlike all other semis) and can be made by anybody in a variety of calibers. The "hammer" aspect is the tell-tale sign of what a 1911 is compared to others. Correct ????
Any pistol w this look/profile is a 1911. The original 1911 was a colt 45 acp(Automatic Colt Pistol). Now there is 1911's in 22lr, 9mm, 40 s&w, 460 Rowland, and of course 45 acp. Those are the common ones. There are a few not so common such as 38 super and a few others. Now Colt, kimber, San Wesson, rock island armory, nightforce, Springfield, Sig Saur, and a few others make a 1911. The ones I mentioned are the big brands that make a 1911 style pistol. Alot of semi auto pistols have a hammer.