Random Questions Thread........ - Page 67
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #661
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

It is a manual......5 speed. Well, no dipstick. That would explain why I couldn't find one.

It is starting to shift hard. Here's my next question. Where the heck is the transmission? What does it look like? Am I going to have to get under the car to find the plug? I'm getting old and not so eager to go crawling around under my car anymore. Years ago I used to change my oil myself but I haven't done that in a loooong time.

Maybe I should just Google this?
Yes Google it and MAKE your son do it for you
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #662
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,245
Liked 7337 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 9043

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Yes Google it and MAKE your son do it for you
If either of my sons lived at home, I would.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #663
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

If either of my sons lived at home, I would.
I thought the youngest one did live near you
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #664
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pagj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prescott Valley,Arizona
Posts: 2,427
Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

If either of my sons lived at home, I would.
Make them visit? Since you're a fwd you'll have a transversally mounted engine... meaning engine is on top pf tranny. On my buddy's neon, cap was behind front left tire. Google is definitely your bestest friend st the moment.
If you can't get to it, what about one of your friendly co workers?
__________________

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

pagj17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #665
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,245
Liked 7337 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 9043

Default

My youngest son does live near me. He would do it but he works rather long hours in a physically demanding job and I hate to ask him. If it were as easy as checking with a dip stick, I would do it. Since it's a little more involved, I have no problem bringing in to be check. I beleive it's going to need to be topped off or even flushed and refilled. Thanks for the input, though.

__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #666
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
My youngest son does live near me. He would do it but he works rather long hours in a physically demanding job and I hate to ask him. If it were as easy as checking with a dip stick, I would do it. Since it's a little more involved, I have no problem bringing in to be check. I beleive it's going to need to be topped off or even flushed and refilled. Thanks for the input, though.
Ya a flush would probably be a good idea. Your supposed to flush em like every 30000 miles anyways. Your clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearings might be going bad also if its shifting hard. Just throwing it out there
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #667
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 6,214
Liked 3376 Times on 1882 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Default

Winds, I'd recommend finding a transmission shop that does a free diagnostic. Automatic transmissions will shift hard when the fluid is low or needs to be changed but they work a lot differently then manuals, it is more likely that it's a problem with your clutch. The fluid pressure is basically what shifts an automatic transmission where as in a manual the fluid is just there to reduce friction between the gears, the clutch is there to assist shifting. Like Marlin said, what's probably happening is one of three things, either a bad pressure plate, a bad throw out bearing, or a bad slave or master cylinder. When your clutch pedal is out (clutch is engaged) there's a fork that pushes the throw out bearing against the pressure plate and holds the clutch disc against the fly wheel. When you push the clutch in it disengages the clutch, pulling the fork back and taking pressure off the clutch the clutch plate is then released from the fly wheel and your engine continues to turn but your transmission is no longer spinning so you can shift. What happens is either that fork it's a moving far enough back (master cylinder out slave cylinder problem) or the diaphragm in the pressure plate is bad and it isn't releasing pressure. I have honestly never flushed or changed the fluid in a manual transmission before, they're a lot less temperamental than autos, they require a lot less maintenance.

__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.


Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 06-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #668
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,245
Liked 7337 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 9043

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Winds, I'd recommend finding a transmission shop that does a free diagnostic. Automatic transmissions will shift hard when the fluid is low or needs to be changed but they work a lot differently then manuals, it is more likely that it's a problem with your clutch. The fluid pressure is basically what shifts an automatic transmission where as in a manual the fluid is just there to reduce friction between the gears, the clutch is there to assist shifting. Like Marlin said, what's probably happening is one of three things, either a bad pressure plate, a bad throw out bearing, or a bad slave or master cylinder. When your clutch pedal is out (clutch is engaged) there's a fork that pushes the throw out bearing against the pressure plate and holds the clutch disc against the fly wheel. When you push the clutch in it disengages the clutch, pulling the fork back and taking pressure off the clutch the clutch plate it's a released from the fly wheel and your engine continues to turn but you transmission is no longer spinning so you can shift. What happens is either that fork it's a moving far enough back (master cylinder out slave cylinder problem) or the diaphragm in the pressure plate is bad and it isn't releasing pressure.
Oh, geeze. Are we talking a lot of money for this repair? I'm trying to save up for tires, a trip to Kentucky and a rifle. *cry*
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #669
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 6,214
Liked 3376 Times on 1882 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Oh, geeze. Are we talking a lot of money for this repair? I'm trying to save up for tires, a trip to Kentucky and a rifle. *cry*
Does your clutch pedal feel squishy?
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #670
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,245
Liked 7337 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 9043

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Does your clutch pedal feel squishy?
*CRY* Yes, it does sometimes. Happening more and more often, though. DON'T MAKE ME CRY!!!
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Thoughts Thread Dillinger The Club House 37204 Today 11:47 AM
Random Creepy Things Thread. Shihan The Club House 114 06-02-2010 08:17 PM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 06:01 PM
Random question Ubergopher General Rifle Discussion 9 03-11-2010 12:34 AM