Random Questions Thread........ - Page 60
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #591
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Oh, okay. I meant legal if you didn't have the proper paperwork. I mean, anyone has access to an oil filter.
Yep.......they don't work well and its a felony offense to get caught using a non papered "Pollock" suppressor

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #592
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,512
Liked 9936 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1572

Default

W-O-C. the "oil filter" suppressor has a base that attaches to the rifle and to the oil filter. That base is what gets registered as a suppressor.

Now, if you are moderately skilled with power tools, and can use them without needing a blood donor, you CAN make your own suppressor. If you are skilled at the use of machine tools (lathe, milling machine, drill press) you can make your own very GOOD suppressor.

However, SOME states do not permit possession of a suppresor. And FEDERAL law treats them like a machine gun or short barreled shotgun- you MUST pay the ATF a $200 tax, and get the paperwork BEFORE making one. Or be subject to 10 yrs in the Federal slammer, and a large fine (I THINK i is up to $250,000 now)

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #593
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 6,840
Liked 3960 Times on 2193 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
W-O-C. the "oil filter" suppressor has a base that attaches to the rifle and to the oil filter. That base is what gets registered as a suppressor.

Now, if you are moderately skilled with power tools, and can use them without needing a blood donor, you CAN make your own suppressor. If you are skilled at the use of machine tools (lathe, milling machine, drill press) you can make your own very GOOD suppressor.

However, SOME states do not permit possession of a suppresor. And FEDERAL law treats them like a machine gun or short barreled shotgun- you MUST pay the ATF a $200 tax, and get the paperwork BEFORE making one. Or be subject to 10 yrs in the Federal slammer, and a large fine (I THINK i is up to $250,000 now)
Damn son, ten years is almost half my life... And I don't think I've made that much money, ever... I can use power tools without needed a blood donor, pneumatic tools are a different story, and screw drivers, I have a real problem with screw drivers...
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #594
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

Damn son, ten years is almost half my life... And I don't think I've made that much money, ever... I can use power tools without needed a blood donor, pneumatic tools are a different story, and screw drivers, I have a real problem with screw drivers...
Wow I'm older than cinder. Screw drivers are oh so vicious

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #595
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 24,383
Liked 8152 Times on 4876 Posts
Likes Given: 10523

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
W-O-C. the "oil filter" suppressor has a base that attaches to the rifle and to the oil filter. That base is what gets registered as a suppressor.

Now, if you are moderately skilled with power tools, and can use them without needing a blood donor, you CAN make your own suppressor. If you are skilled at the use of machine tools (lathe, milling machine, drill press) you can make your own very GOOD suppressor.

However, SOME states do not permit possession of a suppresor. And FEDERAL law treats them like a machine gun or short barreled shotgun- you MUST pay the ATF a $200 tax, and get the paperwork BEFORE making one. Or be subject to 10 yrs in the Federal slammer, and a large fine (I THINK i is up to $250,000 now)
Well, C3, I wasn't thinking of making a suppressor I was only wondering out loud. Are you trying to get me thrown in prison?
Also, remember I live in Illinois.........only the criminals and politicians can own suppressors.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #596
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,883
Liked 9029 Times on 5246 Posts
Likes Given: 11921

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15guy29 View Post
It was dazed and confused
Never saw it. Don't watch many movies.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #597
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 7,033
Liked 2409 Times on 1502 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

When you shoot a 5.56 ar, has an adjustable stock, should you hear a weird spring sound? It's hard to explain in text, maybe the stock giving and I could hear the spring?

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #598
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
When you shoot a 5.56 ar, has an adjustable stock, should you hear a weird spring sound? It's hard to explain in text, maybe the stock giving and I could hear the spring?
Yes that happens if the stock isn't tight or overly tight.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #599
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 7,033
Liked 2409 Times on 1502 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Ah good to know. Shot one for the first time the other day. Accurate as all get out just had weird noise.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #600
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Ah good to know. Shot one for the first time the other day. Accurate as all get out just had weird noise.
It happens.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Thoughts Thread Dillinger The Club House 38483 Today 07:15 PM
Random Creepy Things Thread. Shihan The Club House 114 06-02-2010 09:17 PM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 07:01 PM
Random question Ubergopher General Rifle Discussion 9 03-11-2010 01:34 AM