You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #5001
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2393 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
the problem i have found in many cases from past experience, those asking the question don't really want to hear the truth. it scares them. they want to hear from you, what they are pushing as to what the truth is.

frankly, i think many of them are afraid to hear the truth. simply because it may point at their failings as to being able to lead people. i have worked for and around people who thought that leading was to lead by fear. well, those under you may fear you, but sure as hell don't respect you. i learned to lead from a position of respect. mutual respect. i wanted the brutal truth from people under me. i may not have liked what i heard, but in knew that getting to the truth was the only way to really resolve issues, and create a healthy work environment.
Leadership is the problem at a lot of places, it's a big problem at my employer, but much of the problem is from way above our local management. When I started there 15 years ago we had a supervisor who was great, he was even-handed, fair, knew the rules, knew what was possible, and was respected. He had been promoted from the ranks. Now they don't promote, they hire kids straight out of college, we have 2 college kids doing his job now and we are moving 15% or 20% less freight a night than we did when he was running the dock by himself. They hire these kids because they don't know anything, then when they can't meet impossible expectations they fire them and hire another kid who won't meet them either. These kids don't have the experience to know the expectations are impossible (neither do their bosses), so the higher ups don't have to hear their expectations are unreasonable.

Basically we are in the business of creating "numbers" for middle level management, any freight we move in the process is incidental.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2017, 04:37 AM   #5002
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 12006 Times on 5827 Posts
Likes Given: 44208

Me , I'm not a very good leader or follower . I can do what's best for all and be that team player if required but am most comfortable on my own . That's why the wife and I started our own business . If I hadn't injured myself so badly , we'ed still be going at it .

I must say , it hurt to close but we do what we must . I never saw that coming , Sheeeeze........
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #5003

Liked 8031 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 13720

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Leadership is the problem at a lot of places, it's a big problem at my employer, but much of the problem is from way above our local management. When I started there 15 years ago we had a supervisor who was great, he was even-handed, fair, knew the rules, knew what was possible, and was respected. He had been promoted from the ranks. Now they don't promote, they hire kids straight out of college, we have 2 college kids doing his job now and we are moving 15% or 20% less freight a night than we did when he was running the dock by himself. They hire these kids because they don't know anything, then when they can't meet impossible expectations they fire them and hire another kid who won't meet them either. These kids don't have the experience to know the expectations are impossible (neither do their bosses), so the higher ups don't have to hear their expectations are unreasonable.

Basically we are in the business of creating "numbers" for middle level management, any freight we move in the process is incidental.
i understand exactly what you're saying! i have seen the same thing myself many times.

i promoted up from the ranks so to speak, and the ones that were replacing us, were nothing more than college educated idiots that didn't know which end of the truck was the front, and which was the back! they had never even held a wrench in their hands, much less used one. but they had degrees in management and other fields, so they were assumed to know how to run a truck shop. but they didn't.

that and having to play politics pretty much made me hang it up after all those years.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #5004
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13119 Times on 7516 Posts
Likes Given: 19702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
"So what do you really think?"
I have been there a time or three and it is not a good question to ask me. I am usually brutally honest. Usually not good for job longevity but I have also been offered higher positions from telling it like it is.
Honest is the only way to be. I have learned a skill of being honest without attacking or making the other person feel they need to defend themselves. It's not what you say but how you say it. I am brutally honest in a polite way. I call it being a "polite bitch".

I know I am not a good leader but I am a helluva good follower. Followers are very necessary to keep a place running. I good and trusted follower who does a good job are the heartbeat of any organization or business. SOMEONE has to have the skill, knowledge and desire to do the work.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #5005

Liked 6895 Times on 3679 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
i understand exactly what you're saying! i have seen the same thing myself many times.

i promoted up from the ranks so to speak, and the ones that were replacing us, were nothing more than college educated idiots that didn't know which end of the truck was the front, and which was the back! they had never even held a wrench in their hands, much less used one. but they had degrees in management and other fields, so they were assumed to know how to run a truck shop. but they didn't.

that and having to play politics pretty much made me hang it up after all those years.
Let's be honest though, mechanics don't always make the best managers. Not all of us are good with people and that's a necessary skill for management. But a shop manager should definitely have some knowledge about what they're managing.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #5006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Let's be honest though, mechanics don't always make the best managers. Not all of us are good with people and that's a necessary skill for management. But a shop manager should definitely have some knowledge about what they're managing.
i can agree with that.

for me, i didn't set out to be a leader or to work in management, it just naturally progressed in that direction for me. many times in the beginning, i was the one who seemed to have the best idea of how things needed to be done and how to get them done. and it just kind of went that way. i was willing in the beginning of my career to locate for promotions, or willing to move to gain a better or higher position.

in the tail end of my career, what i saw many of the larger companies going to were college trained guys with various degrees, like management or business, that they were wanting to be service or shop managers. they knew numbers and such, but had little, or in most cases i personally saw, none with any knowledge of trucks or drivers. most could change the oil in their person vehicle and probably would call a tow truck for a flat tire!
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #5007
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4870 Times on 2701 Posts
Likes Given: 2376

There are managers.
There are technicians.

A manager may have been a good technician at one time, but that does not mean he/she is a good technician now.

A technician may become a manager, but just because he knows the job, that may not make him/her a good manager.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #5008
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12813 Times on 6674 Posts
Likes Given: 26923

Those who can do.
Those who can't manage.
People Like This 
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #5009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Those who can do.
Those who can't manage.
thank you for compiling my life's work experience down to two short sentences.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #5010
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12813 Times on 6674 Posts
Likes Given: 26923

Quote:
thank you for compiling my life's work experience down to two short sentences.
Enlightening, isn't it?