You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #4911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5138 Times on 2937 Posts
Likes Given: 8542

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Buying the Chilton Manyal will assure you won't have problems with your vehicle. The vehicle knows when you don't have one and makes it a point to need repairs. Once you buy one, all the fun is over for the vehicle.

unfortunately, none of my vehicles were smart enough the read and still needed repairs! HAHAHA!
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
dango Likes This 
Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #4912
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Buying the Chilton Manyal will assure you won't have problems with your vehicle. The vehicle knows when you don't have one and makes it a point to need repairs. Once you buy one, all the fun is over for the vehicle.
My Tahoe was throwing error codes until I ordered a Code Reader. Never another error code after I received the reader!

ellis
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #4913
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12288 Times on 7167 Posts
Likes Given: 18421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
My Tahoe was throwing error codes until I ordered a Code Reader. Never another error code after I received the reader!

ellis
See? There's proof of my theory.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #4914

Liked 484 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Youtube it and see. I did mine with a vice and a couple of sockets... Wasnt too hard..
I've even used C clamps, but more than a few times a needle bearing got shoved to the bottom of a cup and the only way I've found to keep that from happening is to use a thicker, stickier grease added to the cup bearings before installing the cross, if things are not lined up when installing the cross into the cups you can end up really damaging the cups and bearings. Another thing I've ran across is C slips that were too thick and wouldn't fit in their groove or cause the assembly to be too tight or loose, it pays to get the best quality U-joint kits as you will probably get better C clips. In the long run it maybe a good thing to take it to a driveshaft shop as some can also balance your driveshaft assembly which can help with longer life of U-joints and a quieter vehicle.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #4915

Liked 5138 Times on 2937 Posts
Likes Given: 8542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I've even used C clamps, but more than a few times a needle bearing got shoved to the bottom of a cup and the only way I've found to keep that from happening is to use a thicker, stickier grease added to the cup bearings before installing the cross, if things are not lined up when installing the cross into the cups you can end up really damaging the cups and bearings. Another thing I've ran across is C slips that were too thick and wouldn't fit in their groove or cause the assembly to be too tight or loose, it pays to get the best quality U-joint kits as you will probably get better C clips. In the long run it maybe a good thing to take it to a driveshaft shop as some can also balance your driveshaft assembly which can help with longer life of U-joints and a quieter vehicle.
i have noticed that many times, especially on those vehicles that are used off-road, many times will have corrosion around the bores, making it difficult to remove the bearing cups, and even making it hard to re-install the new bearing cups.

one method i use that works very well is to use a brake cylinder hone in the bearing cup bores with some penetrating oil, an to clean and polish them. this will make installing the new bearing cups much easier. it doesn't need much. just enough to clean them of any corrosion or deposits. then coat the bores with a little grease and the bearing cups will go in much easier.

and yes, coating the needle bearings with a heavier grease is very good idea to keep them in place. and on side note, always grease the u-joints after installation, as the grease in them out of the box is just for shipping and storage against rusting, not for usage on the vehicle. they need a high quality grease for proper use.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."

Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #4916
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2904 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Im having someome at work help me with it tomorrow, hopefully Ill know how to do it in the future.