Random Questions Thread........ - Page 42
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #411
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
All the different kind of rifles.......semi, bolt action, lever action,etc. Does any one rifle style serve a different purpose? Say for instance, a semi makes a better hunting rifle where as a lever makes a better target rifle? Or is it all just a matter of personal preference? I'm wanting a Henry Lever but then a friend says 'I'm going to want a 10/22 also because it's a semi. Am I?

I guess that depends.. What do you want Winds? A lever or semi?

Im not a big 10/22 fan, there just a "ok" .22 unless you want to modify them...

Heres a 39A "broken down"... (in case you still dont know what we are talking about..)

Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #412
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7333 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

A knowledgeable friend pointed me towards a Henry Lever Repeater. I liked it. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action. It was too big for me and a bit heavy and I found the bolt kind of awkward to work.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #413
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Thanks. That gives a little rhyme or reason to the different types. I'm wanting a .22 plinking rifle.
No problem. Like I said, unless you are doing competition, or just want to put a full 550 rd box of .22 through 1 hole (), you'll be fine with whatever you pick. (unless it is just a bad rifle. A Henry is not) Generally, Ruger, Marlin, CZ, and Henry all make really good .22s. I also like the older Remington pump .22, they are a lot of fun.

lol, I think I fell in love last night. I found this Ruger Mark III with a 6" barrel, and that is one sexy gun (so is your Mark II ). The auction is pretty much over, and I am saving my money for an AR, but I will definitely have to get one some day. I love that tapered barrel.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283460968

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #414

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
A knowledgeable friend pointed me towards a Henry Lever Repeater. I liked it. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action. It was too big for me and a bit heavy and I found the bolt kind of awkward to work.
Do you like your Henry? I'm picking up one with the octogan barrel when I get home, buying for my dad's birthday.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #415
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
No problem. Like I said, unless you are doing competition, or just want to put a full 550 rd box of .22 through 1 hole (), you'll be fine with whatever you pick. (unless it is just a bad rifle. A Henry is not) Generally, Ruger, Marlin, CZ, and Henry all make really good .22s.
Well, this friend said after I get the Henry Lever I'll probably want to get a Ruger10\22 semi because everyone needs to have one. Geeze, I like how people spend my money for me.

I just want a .22 rifle to give my Mark II a little competition when shooting holes in targets, blasting clay pigeons sitting on the ground, putting gallon containers of water in hypovolemic shock and maybe killing a few balloons, pumpkins, watermelons and the like.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #416

Quote:
Well, this friend said after I get the Henry Lever I'll probably want to get a Ruger10\22 semi because everyone needs to have one. Geeze, I like how people spend my money for me.

I just want a .22 rifle to give my Mark II a little competition when shooting holes in targets, blasting clay pigeons sitting on the ground, putting gallon containers of water in hypovolemic shock and maybe killing a few balloons, pumpkins, watermelons and the like.
lol, I don't need people to spend my money for me, I do that well enough by myself.

The Henry would be a good gun for that. I don't know anything about it's accuracy, but IIRC, it's pretty good.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #417
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Sometimes the gun market is dry. Sometimes, it floods. Last Friday, won auction for a Mossberg 44US training rifle for MUCH less than I would expect to pay (because the dealer could not spell MOSSBERG in his title). OK, waiting on the UPS guy for that one. Stopped in LGS this morning- Marlin 81 DL with a 1950s scope- little dusty, rifle needs cleaning- buttplate is chipped, small ding out of toe of stock- $60 cash. (have a spare stock and buttplate in workshop for a Marlin 81DL) Went to lunch to say aloha to an old friend who is also retiring, and leaving Friday to live in Florida. He asked if I would be interested in a couple of single shot 22s he did not want o take to Florida. Remington bolt action, and an Ithaca lever action. $100 for the pair.

CRAP! I need another safe!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Sometimes the gun market is dry. Sometimes, it floods. Last Friday, won auction for a Mossberg 44US training rifle for MUCH less than I would expect to pay (because the dealer could not spell MOSSBERG in his title). OK, waiting on the UPS guy for that one. Stopped in LGS this morning- Marlin 81 DL with a 1950s scope- little dusty, rifle needs cleaning- buttplate is chipped, small ding out of toe of stock- $60 cash. (have a spare stock and buttplate in workshop for a Marlin 81DL) Went to lunch to say aloha to an old friend who is also retiring, and leaving Friday to live in Florida. He asked if I would be interested in a couple of single shot 22s he did not want o take to Florida. Remington bolt action, and an Ithaca lever action. $100 for the pair.

Ok, your really going to have to show me how you find deals like that. Are you just naturally lucky, or is there something to it?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #419
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Ok, your really going to have to show me how you find deals like that. Are you just naturally lucky, or is there something to it?
I think SOME PEOPLE cruise the U-haul rental yards and the obituaries for deals.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #420
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Quote:

Yeah, C3 seems to find all the good deals.

But I wonder why he posted this in the Random Questions Thread? Maybe his eyesight isn't as good as his luck. ROFL