Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Questions Thread........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #401
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

There is no way EVER I would deface an SKS by painting it pink. Any other rifle, maybe, but not an SKS. It is a 'man's gun' in my eyes and will remain that way.......if I ever get the chance to buy one.

Okay, I've shot and cleaned my Dad's bolt action rifle. Bear showed me there was a screw that holds the barrel onto the stock and if I just undo that one screw, the barrel comes off. Is that what you all mean by a 'take down' rifle? My Dad didn't know that about his gun and when I showed him that he thought I was a gun goddess. LOL

As far as the cost of a 'bring back' SKS, I was just told they are very pricey. I don't know exactly what price range the person meant by that. Or maybe he simply meant a 'bring back' SKS is more pricey than a newer replica SKS? I never thought to ask.

I would like to own and someday will own an SKS. But if I am spending money on a gun in the next few weeks, it'll be on that Henry Lever. I wish I could afford two guns at once but that ain't happenin' in my world.
No winds a take down rifle is where the barrel comes out of the reciever or the reciever seperates. Look up Marlin 39a take down on YouTube and it will show you what we mean

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #402
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

W-O-C, both the Henry and the Marlin 39A are very good rifles. The marlin has been in production for a LONG time- my grandkids are shooting the one Mom gave Dad for an anniversary gift. It is a heavy rifle- stock and forearm are American Black Walnut, rifle is STEEL. Here is the manual- http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_39a39m.pdf

See that big screw? Back it off, and the front separates from the rear.

Re: SKS- the bringbacks (WITH capture papers) go for about $500-$600, but are not in as good a condition as the imports- which MAY be brand new.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #403

Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
As far as the cost of a 'bring back' SKS, I was just told they are very pricey. I don't know exactly what price range the person meant by that. Or maybe he simply meant a 'bring back' SKS is more pricey than a newer replica SKS? I never thought to ask.

I would like to own and someday will own an SKS. But if I am spending money on a gun in the next few weeks, it'll be on that Henry Lever. I wish I could afford two guns at once but that ain't happenin' in my world.
HOLY CRAP!!! Bring back SKS's are like $500-$1000... And with the paperwork over $1000??? WTF!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #404
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6151 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 7027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
A take down rifle is a rifle that is ment to be taken down into 2 or more pieces very easily. What makes it a better rifle isn't really much. Just a personal choice in whether or not you want a solid steel reciever or not. The Marlin might be to long for you winds.
I have taken my Dad's Marlin down to Stalkingbear's to shoot. It was too long but I shot it anyway. I didn't much like working the bolt, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
No winds a take down rifle is where the barrel comes out of the reciever or the reciever seperates. Look up Marlin 39a take down on YouTube and it will show you what we mean.
Thanks. I will look that up and see what you mean. I don't know how you guys know all this information about all the different guns. What impresses me most is you guys can look at a gun and know what it is. I hate to say this but many of them all look the same to me.

I'm embarrassed to say the S&W revolvers look a whole lot like my GP100 to me. I'm not sure I could tell them apart.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #405

Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Re: SKS- the bringbacks (WITH capture papers) go for about $500-$600, but are not in as good a condition as the imports- which MAY be brand new.
I just seen a gunbroker link, where one with the paperwork sold for $1300!!

Heres another one for over a $1000!!!!! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272243712

Last edited by Trez; 04-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #406
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
W-O-C, both the Henry and the Marlin 39A are very good rifles. The marlin has been in production for a LONG time- my grandkids are shooting the one Mom gave Dad for an anniversary gift. It is a heavy rifle- stock and forearm are American Black Walnut, rifle is STEEL. Here is the manual- http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_39a39m.pdf

See that big screw? Back it off, and the front separates from the rear.

Stalkingbear showed me how to take the barrel off the stock with that screw. When I showed that to my Dad he thought I was the smartest gun person he had ever seen. Poor Daddy, I sure have him fooled. I did take my Dad's gun apart and removed a bit of surface rust and oiled it real well before I gave it back to him. I don't think that gun had been shot in over 15 years.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #407
FTF_MODERATOR.png

All the different kind of rifles.......semi, bolt action, lever action,etc. Does any one rifle style serve a different purpose? Say for instance, a semi makes a better hunting rifle where as a lever makes a better target rifle? Or is it all just a matter of personal preference? I'm wanting a Henry Lever but then a friend says 'I'm going to want a 10/22 also because it's a semi. Am I?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #408

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It is both personal preference and purpose. The AR for instance is a tactical rifle used by elite police forces, due to its accuracy and other attributes. The AK is in certain militaries around the world, due to its dependability and the amount of uses it has. A lever action can be a good hunting rifle as well as a target rifle. A semi auto is good for staying on target for target shooting and it's a bit more fun to clean because you must disassemble them either completely or practically completely.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #409
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say the S&W revolvers look a whole lot like my GP100 to me. I'm not sure I could tell them apart.
They look a lot a like to me too. Either way, they're beautiful guns.

Quote:
All the different kind of rifles.......semi, bolt action, lever action,etc. Does any one rifle style serve a different purpose? Say for instance, a semi makes a better hunting rifle where as a lever makes a better target rifle? Or is it all just a matter of personal preference? I'm wanting a Henry Lever but then a friend says 'I'm going to want a 10/22 also because it's a semi. Am I?
They can serve different purposes, but their design is more of a result of war and firearm evolution.

This can vary from gun to gun, but as a whole, this pretty much sums it up.

Lever actions are super reliable, fast to shoot, and simple to use.

Bolt actions are also super reliable, can be shot almost as fast, and are super accurate.

Semis are super fast to shoot, some are pretty reliable, and they can be pretty accurate too (depends on the gun. Some are super accurate, others not so much).

It's really a personal preference when using .22s.

As for hunting rifles, bolt actions are great for long shots, or just really accurate shots. Lever actions are good for hard hitting rounds (think 45-70) and hunting through brush, ans semis are good for fast followup shots or multiple kills.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #410
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
They look a lot a like to me too. Either way, they're beautiful guns.

They can serve different purposes, but their design is more of a result of war and firearm evolution.

This can vary from gun to gun, but as a whole, this pretty much sums it up.

Lever actions are super reliable, fast to shoot, and simple to use.

Bolt actions are also super reliable, can be shot almost as fast, and are super accurate.

Semis are super fast to shoot, some are pretty reliable, and they can be pretty accurate too (depends on the gun. Some are super accurate, others not so much).

It's really a personal preference when using .22s.

As for hunting rifles, bolt actions are great for long shots, or just really accurate shots. Lever actions are good for hard hitting rounds (think 45-70) and hunting through brush, ans semis are good for fast followup shots or multiple kills.
Thanks. That gives a little rhyme or reason to the different types. I'm wanting a .22 plinking rifle.